Qatar Airways CNX-DOH

MickeyMaow

For what it's worth.

My Mate who came out from the Gulf on Qatar says their inflight magazine said October this year.

I tried to book both on line and then with a travel agent I know to go back to Manchester start of April.

I could find the flights on the net but could not make a booking.

The Lady travel agent tried and could not book.

She contacted Qatar, in Bangkok, and they said later in the year but not now.

I detest Swampy and would like to go direct from CNX.

john

Last date mentioned was end of October this year but it has yet to be confirmed and the airline hasn't made the flights available to book yet. I looked last week and all CNX options were via BKK on a Bangkok Airways codeshare. 

A much awaited connection.

I don't have the answer.

Another thread from this month:

Just tried their booking system end of October to beginning of November.

No non-stop flights shown.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, jobin said:

Well if to avoid Swampy at all costs, you could fly direct from CNX to Seoul Korea, on Korean Air, then hop a KE flight to various European cities, including London.

IMO, KE is a superior airline, at least when going from CNX to ATL.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/traveling/classes-of-service/in-flight-service-plan/service-plan-europe/

I never understood the hate for  "Swampy" as you call it. I've been through it hundreds of times and never had a problem there. What's the problem with it? 

53 minutes ago, jobin said:

Well if to avoid Swampy at all costs, you could fly direct from CNX to Seoul Korea, on Korean Air, then hop a KE flight to various European cities, including London.

IMO, KE is a superior airline, at least when going from CNX to ATL.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/traveling/classes-of-service/in-flight-service-plan/service-plan-europe/

Hang on now until I get my head around this. How long does it take (in the opposite direction from Europe) to get to Seoul?

45 minutes ago, MickeyMaow said:

Hang on now until I get my head around this. How long does it take (in the opposite direction from Europe) to get to Seoul?

About 5 hours in the mainly wrong direction for Europe.

That adds to a quite long journey.

4 flights per week only.

To the US it makes sense by mileage, just that with Korean Air there would be a long stopover (almost 8 hours).

Flight times to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore more decent.

7 minutes ago, MickeyMaow said:

It's an absolute ridiculous suggestion to fly 5 hours in the wrong direction to avoid Suvarnabhumi Airport, there's  nothing wrong with Suvarnabhumi Airport.

There is not much wrong except for the hard to predict time needed for passing immigration.

But on departure it's not that problematic like on arrival.

Simply have enough time left. I would not do an international connection shorter than 2 hours, better 3 hours.

The queues at immergration can at times look daunting and a lot of people panic when the see the heard, but they get through the people pretty quickly.

Yes allow yourself 3 hours should be ample amount of time and if you are ever strapped for time ask for a priority lane pass at check in. They will give you one.

• 3 months later...

Just returned from flying QR via Bangkok, IME it adds 3-4 hours to the journey, compared with a direct-flight to Qatar out of Chiang Mai.  Especially with the need to allow extra-time for connecting, with the domestic-flight on a seperate (cheaper !) PNR.

Looking at Qatar's website, they're starting in December and they show flights up-to April, this time the route will be operated direct-to/from-DOH by a B787 instead of having a lengthy stopover in Rangoon.

The current prices weren't that great, and anyway I've already booked my January-trip, perhaps wait for the usual sale in mid-Jan & see what prices/flights are available direct for next Spring ?

10 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Just returned from flying QR via Bangkok, IME it adds 3-4 hours to the journey, compared with a direct-flight to Qatar out of Chiang Mai. 

We must have been on the same flight !  except I didn't arrive in CM until 1 PM which is about 6 hours after landing in Bangkok.  (thai smile flight delayed 1.5 hours!)

The extra 6 hours made the trip unpleasant instead of a good experience.

That's the reason I also hate Swampy.

So flights directly from CM using QATAR would be greatly appreciated for destinations going to Europe.

I always use Korean to go to the Americas because it is based in Chiang Mai and great service and stopover.

China Southern is a ok option for going to AUS and NZ (15 hours total).  Although the experience is not the same as Korean air or QATAR.

So having these options would allow us to bypass bangkok which means easier, less tiring travelling. :)

Nonstop flights DOH - CNX will start December 7.

There has just been started a new thread regarding flights to the east coast of the USA:

I looked into this and found that the connection times for flights from Chiang Mai to the east coast are terrible. Return from east coast to Chiang Mai is acceptable.

So not that great news if you want to fly to such destination.

I would appreciate to be corrected.

On 1.10.2017 at 12:46 PM, jonwilly said:

Well if to avoid Swampy at all costs,

As written: with Qatar to the east coast it would mean stopover times of 15 to 22 hours at Doha.

Your choice?

Useless to my opinion.

Looking at QR's website this morning, they appear to have switched to an A330-200, and direct-flights are shown only until end of March.

Nevertheless B25,970 return to LHR (on Wednesdays), with short-connections in Doha, seems a good deal. 

Unfortunately I've already booked for end-January via BKK, and was really wanting my next trip to be May or June. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Looking at QR's website this morning, they appear to have switched to an A330-200, and direct-flights are shown only until end of March.

Correct.

That was also in the announcement.

It's only installed for the winter (high) season.

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Nevertheless B25,970 return to LHR (on Wednesdays), with short-connections in Doha, seems a good deal. 

No question: connections to Europe are fine.

But as mentioned they didn't consider/take interest in flights to the US.

7 hours ago, DavidOxon said:

I was looking to try and check out prices to UK but all I can find are 2 stop flights via BKK

Where are the 1 stop flights, does it require a special code?

Went through the Qatar website.

I have only checked the outbound direction from Chiang Mai (CNX) for now.

I have only checked the leg to Doha (DOH).

In contrast to the press releases, nonstop flights from CNX to DOH start on:

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 (!).

Last flight is on:

Sunday, March 25, 2018.

Flights are on:

Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

DELETED

Archived