Erdogan, Trump hail U.S.-Turkish ties amid tensions

webfact

Erdogan, Trump hail U.S.-Turkish ties amid tensions

By Ayesha Rascoe

REUTERS

r4.jpg

U.S President Donald Trump (L) welcomes Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the entrance to the West Wing of the White House in Washington, U.S. May 16, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The leaders of Turkey and the United States touted strong ties between the NATO allies on Tuesday but the Turkish president emphasized his country will not accept Syrian Kurdish fighters in the region while stopping short of directly criticizing a U.S. decision to arm them.

President Donald Trump lauded visiting Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan at the White House as an important ally in the "fight against terrorism" and did not mention Erdogan's domestic crackdown after last year's failed coup attempt.

"We've had a great relationship and we will make it even better," Trump said in a joint appearance with Erdogan.

Erdogan said his visit would "mark a historical turn of tide" and hailed "outstanding relations" between the nations. It was an especially positive tone considering the tensions over Washington's decision to arm the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia that Ankara regards as an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).

"There is no place for the terrorist organizations in the future of our region," said Erdogan, speaking through a translator.

He added that the activities of the YPG and its political arm in the region, the PYD, "will never be accepted."

U.S. officials on May 9 disclosed Trump's approval of plans to supply the YPG as it advances toward the Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa in Syria.

Turkey has been a crucial partner in the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State forces. The U.S. alliance with Turkey has proven pivotal in the battle against Islamic State in Syria, providing the coalition with access to Turkey's Incirlik air base to wage strikes against the militants.

Erdogan had pledged to use the White House meeting to try to get Trump to change course on the YPG. Ankara regards the YPG as an extension of the PKK, which has fought an insurgency in southeastern Turkey since 1984 and is considered a terrorist group by the United States, Turkey and Europe.

"We support Turkey in the ... fight against terror and terror groups like ISIS and the PKK, and ensure they have no safe quarter, the terror groups," Trump said, using an acronym for Islamic State. "We also appreciate Turkey's leadership in seeking an end to the horrific killing in Syria."

The YPG, or People's Protection Units, effectively serves as the military of the autonomous Kurdish-led regions that emerged in northern Syria with the retreat of state authority in 2011 that accompanied the outbreak of civil war.

The United States sees the YPG as distinct from the PKK and as a valuable partner in the fight against Islamic State.

Trump and Erdogan both emphasized the positive. "The relationship that we have together will be unbeatable," Trump said.

The meeting came amid an uproar in Washington over reports that Trump disclosed sensitive information regarding Islamic State to senior Russian officials during a White House meeting last week.

Trump, who took office in January, has sought to reach out to Erdogan, and was criticized by some in the United States for congratulating the Turkish president on his contested win in a referendum on constitutional changes that gave him sweeping new powers.

The administration of Trump's predecessor, Democrat Barack Obama, had criticized Erdogan's crackdown on the Turkish press and academia after a failed coup attempt in July 2016. Tens of thousands of Turkish citizens have been detained in its aftermath and some Erdogan supporters tried to blame the United States for the coup.

But during their appearance on Tuesday, Trump made no mention of Erdogan's record on dissent and free speech, although they have been areas of concern for some Western leaders.

Erdogan's visit on Tuesday was further complicated by Turkey's calls for the United States to take steps to extradite Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania. Erdogan blames Gulen supporters for the attempted coup. Gulen has denied involvement in the coup and remains in the United States.

Erdogan's spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said in a statement the two leaders discussed "possible steps against FETO," referring to what Ankara calls the "Gulenist Terror Organization," a term it uses to describe the Gulen's network. Kalin did not specify exactly what steps they discussed.

The Turkish government has also raised concerns about a U.S. criminal case against Reza Zarrab, a dual Turkish-Iranian national, arrested last year and charged with helping Iran process millions of dollar in transactions that violated U.S. sanctions against Tehran.

(Reporting by Ayesha Rascoe; Additional reporting by Tulay Karadeniz and Ece Toksabay in Ankara; Editing by Will Dunham)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-17

A clear example of the media failing to connect the dots.  As if this has nothing to do with Trump surrogates, Flynn and Giuliani, being heavily subsidized by Erdogan (Flynn receiving payments for being a lobbyist for Turkey while working on Trump's campaign and acting as head of NSA, and Giuliani for being involved in a money laundering scheme where Turkey acted as a conduit for Iranian arms sales in violation of a sanctions order).  Fortunately, it won't be long before the indictments out of the Virginia Federal Court against Flynn and Giuliani become public.

Business is business, and Trump knows he will not be president for too many years, so he is meeting the leaders of countries he can build golf courses at when he is a private business man again.  Simple Math.

Geezer

Seems like Erdogan brought Turkish culture to DC. Erdogan security forces beating protesters in Washington.

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

A clear example of the media failing to connect the dots.  As if this has nothing to do with Trump surrogates, Flynn and Giuliani, being heavily subsidized by Erdogan (Flynn receiving payments for being a lobbyist for Turkey while working on Trump's campaign and acting as head of NSA, and Giuliani for being involved in a money laundering scheme where Turkey acted as a conduit for Iranian arms sales in violation of a sanctions order).  Fortunately, it won't be long before the indictments out of the Virginia Federal Court against Flynn and Giuliani become public.

Rudy Giuliani is an international money launderer? and middle -man arms dealer?

Are you serious?  

3 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Rudy Giuliani is an international money launderer? and middle -man arms dealer?

Are you serious?  

I think it's a reference to this:

A Mysterious Case Involving Turkey, Iran, and Rudy Giuliani

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-mysterious-case-involving-turkey-iran-and-rudy-giuliani

Turk in Iran Sanctions Case Adds Rudy Giuliani to Legal Team

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/nyregion/reza-zarrab-iran-sanctions-case-rudolph-w-giuliani-to-legal-team.html

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

Seems like Erdogan brought Turkish culture to DC. Erdogan security forces beating protesters in Washington.

More here:

'Erdoğan's bodyguards' in violent clash with protesters in Washington DC

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/17/erdogans-bodyguards-in-violent-clash-with-protesters-in-washington-dc

If that's his security detail...can't say I'm overly impressed by their professionalism.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

I think it's a reference to this:

A Mysterious Case Involving Turkey, Iran, and Rudy Giuliani

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-mysterious-case-involving-turkey-iran-and-rudy-giuliani

Turk in Iran Sanctions Case Adds Rudy Giuliani to Legal Team

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/nyregion/reza-zarrab-iran-sanctions-case-rudolph-w-giuliani-to-legal-team.html

I appreciate the links and I had seen a few headlines but never read an in depth story. However, it still seems a leap to conclude there is an indictment right around he corner for R.G.

4 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

If there is a buck to be made Giuliani will be there.

Yeah, rrrrright.  Pretty funny post.  Just because there is money to be made doesn't mean a man is guilty of a crime.

38 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Yeah, rrrrright.  Pretty funny post.  Just because there is money to be made doesn't mean a man is guilty of a crime.

Integrity 

Why Rudy Giuliani Can't Stop Cashing in on 9/11

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has made millions from his Sept. 11 grandstanding and has positioned himself for a presidential run based on his 9/11 persona. How much longer will he get away with it?
September 10, 2006
  •  

14 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

I appreciate the links and I had seen a few headlines but never read an in depth story. However, it still seems a leap to conclude there is an indictment right around he corner for R.G.

Apparently, the judge isn't as dismissive as yourself:

Judge: Why Is Giuliani Defending Alleged Iranian Money Launderer?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-why-giuliani-defending-alleged-iranian-money-launderer-n739811

19 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Integrity 

Why Rudy Giuliani Can't Stop Cashing in on 9/11

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has made millions from his Sept. 11 grandstanding and has positioned himself for a presidential run based on his 9/11 persona. How much longer will he get away with it?
September 10, 2006
  •  

Many politicians in their post term lives makes millions and millions of dollars on the speaking circuit, and through businesses they join once entering private life. They're entitled to do so and integrity isn't a part of it. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/you-may-be-surprised-who-makes-the-most-money-from-public-speaking/ss-BBB3Z2L

This list includes many of the recent entries into the lucrative world of speaking and advising.  

5 hours ago, Morch said:

Apparently, the judge isn't as dismissive as yourself:

Judge: Why Is Giuliani Defending Alleged Iranian Money Launderer?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-why-giuliani-defending-alleged-iranian-money-launderer-n739811

Inform me and make the rest of the board aware when Mr. Giuliani is indicted.

25 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Inform me and make the rest of the board aware when Mr. Giuliani is indicted.

A. I'm not your secretary.

B. Never said he was indicted or about to be.

Edited by Morch

Just now, Morch said:

A. I'm not your secretary.

B. Never said he was indicted or about to be.

Well, at least you're someone's secretary...

I wasn't serious about the indictment; it was a tongue in cheek comment.  Next time I'll include and emoticon.

7 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Well, at least you're someone's secretary...

I wasn't serious about the indictment; it was a tongue in cheek comment.  Next time I'll include and emoticon.

Troll on.

I wasn't trolling at all. Indictments are where it's at regarding the comments about Mr. Giuliani.  

Opinions written in magazines or newspapers are fun but when it comes down to it, it's what a prosecuting attorney thinks can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt that leads to an indictment. It isn't about what the prosecutor knows.  

Please stop being sensitive; if that remark ruffles your feathers...well...Have a nice day. 

1 minute ago, Ramen087 said:

I wasn't trolling at all. Indictments are where it's at regarding the comments about Mr. Giuliani.  

Opinions written in magazines or newspapers are fun but when it comes down to it, it's what a prosecuting attorney thinks can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt that leads to an indictment. It isn't about what the prosecutor knows.  

Please stop being sensitive; if that remark ruffles your feathers...well...Have a nice day. 

Read the posts above, pay attention to who posted what.

Or, troll on.

1 hour ago, Ramen087 said:

Many politicians in their post term lives makes millions and millions of dollars on the speaking circuit, and through businesses they join once entering private life. They're entitled to do so and integrity isn't a part of it. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/you-may-be-surprised-who-makes-the-most-money-from-public-speaking/ss-BBB3Z2L

This list includes many of the recent entries into the lucrative world of speaking and advising.  

Well sir it should be. Without a dollup of integrity the world is lost. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Well sir it should be. Without a dollup of integrity the world is lost. 

If you read through the list you will see big earners, but also big givers.  Bush, Branson, Clinton (both) and many others give to charities, perform lots of public service and help raise funds for many causes. Many do this while shunning publicity.

The earning is business: if you want them to speak, you meet their fee requirement.  

The integrity really shows in the spending of the earnings. 

1 hour ago, Ramen087 said:

If you read through the list you will see big earners, but also big givers.  Bush, Branson, Clinton (both) and many others give to charities, perform lots of public service and help raise funds for many causes.

Many do this while shunning publicity.

The earning is business: if you want them to speak, you meet their fee requirement.  

How long do you plan on using violet colored over sized fonts?

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

If you read through the list you will see big earners, but also big givers.  Bush, Branson, Clinton (both) and many others give to charities, perform lots of public service and help raise funds for many causes. Many do this while shunning publicity.

What a day for percentages you got half my attention on your reply. Bush well with him starting a phony war what else can I say. Branson sounds like a good guy but again the rich and famous like to put out a positive front fact or fiction? The Clinton Foundation hmm it also has come under attack time and again. Again I must revert back to my gut feelings. We are not privileged to what goes on exactly behind the scenes but looking back over the years I have a hard to picking out a politician that worked for the public good or for me. 

The Latest: Senator calls for ejection of Turkish ambassador

"Sen. John McCain expressed outrage at video that appears to show Erdogan's bodyguards violently breaking up a protest earlier this week outside the Turkish ambassador's residence in Washington."

"McCain says, "We should throw their ambassador the hell out of the United States of America."

"He says there must be a diplomatic response to the incident from the Trump administration. He suggests lawsuits against the responsible bodyguards."

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35460983/the-latest-senator-calls-for-ejection-of-turkish-ambassador

:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

What a day for percentages you got half my attention on your reply. Bush well with him starting a phony war what else can I say. Branson sounds like a good guy but again the rich and famous like to put out a positive front fact or fiction? The Clinton Foundation hmm it also has come under attack time and again. Again I must revert back to my gut feelings. We are not privileged to what goes on exactly behind the scenes but looking back over the years I have a hard to picking out a politician that worked for the public good or for me. 

Just about everyone who does things in the eye of the public accepts there will be critics.  MLK had critics, even many years after his death.  People like Branson and Gates do a lot of good, but they're not subject to the scrutiny of serving the public from the same position. A very good politician can be defined by not pleasing everybody. Why? Because the best way to displease everyone is by taking a stand that displeases no one.  Feeling that no politician has never worked for the public good, or you is a tough way to go through life. I hope you can accept it's a very difficult job leading a city, country or nation, and there are many well intentioned people in those jobs that weigh very difficult decisions while constrained by limited resources. They put themselves out there in the public eye, burdened with the public trust.  There is always a critic out there criticizing. It isn't an easy career choice. 

Edited by Ramen087