Assets headache forces Mahidol University president to quit

webfact

Assets headache forces Mahidol University president to quit

By The Nation

f726d382f3760296656482043ecb87c4.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Udom Kachintorn has resigned as president of Mahidol University after realising he had insufficient time to replace the school’s 13 acting deputy rectors, who quit when the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) required them to publicly declare their financial assets.

Udom said he felt stunned and was almost in tears at a meeting of the university council on Wednesday where his letter of resignation was submitted and accepted. 

“But I knew I had to make this decision because I only have a year and five months left in my term and I would be unable to fill the deputy rectors’ positions in such a short time,” he said.

Udom said he would stay on until August 1 while his successor was being sought.

In a statement explaining the reason behind his resignation, Udom said the 13 deputy rectors quit on April 1 due to “personal and family limitations” in the face of the new NACC requirement for university deputy rectors. 

He said it would be too difficult to find candidates with the necessary knowledge, competence and experience in the 17 months he has left in his post. Newly hired deputy rectors generally take six month to a year to settle in, he said, leaving the university administration less effective. 

To mitigate damage to the administration and avoid slowing the school’s development, Udom decided to resign along with the 13 acting deputy rectors, effective August 1, to make way for the selection of new administrators.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315583

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-18

“But I knew I had to make this decision because I only have a year and five months left in my term and I would be unable to fill the deputy rectors’ positions in such a short time,” he said.'

Come on! Everyone's got at least 13 friends/family members. 

4 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

To mitigate damage, he quits?!

What kind of logic is that?

Not logic, it's an excuse. He would have to declare his assets as well.

In true Thai style, the senior figure is allowed a better excuse than his underlings.

5 hours ago, Stradavarius37 said:

I am sure Worgeordie could run a university of 30,000 students and 6 campuses by his/herself.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would not need 13 deputies to do it,that's for sure,but not by myself.:saai: you have no idea what i am capable of.

regards worgeordie

9 hours ago, YetAnother said:

To mitigate damage, he quits?!

What kind of logic is that?

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Not logic, it's an excuse. He would have to declare his assets as well.

In true Thai style, the senior figure is allowed a better excuse than his underlings.

8 hours ago, clockman said:

The true spirit of Thainess. Integrity is a alien concept!

and you three have how many years of experience running a university? if none of you has an explanation of some sort, surely you have at least some sliver of proof. well?.. i thought so.

by stepping down, the university will have no choice but to look for a new president along with a new set of deputy rectors to serve a fresh 4-year term. had he stayed on, the remainder of his term (17 months) would have been wasted by searching for deputy rectors who would only serve for less than a year.

it's very elementary, really. but it's so much easier to judge someone, and with confidence, scream Thainess as the absolute cause. if this professor was as guilty as those 13 vice rectors, he would've jumped ship way before everyone else.

Edited by irwinfc

23 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- Udom Kachintorn has resigned as president of Mahidol University after realising he had insufficient time to replace the school’s 13 acting deputy rectors, who quit when the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) required them to publicly declare their financial assets.

All 13 quit rather than divulging their assets interesting. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Udom said he felt stunned and was almost in tears at a meeting of the university council on Wednesday where his letter of resignation was submitted and accepted. 

Get this guy on stage here a born natural a.....Maybe the government wanted to peek at his assets to?? What a revolting situation that would be possibly. 

On 5/18/2017 at 2:47 PM, webfact said:

In a statement explaining the reason behind his resignation, Udom said the 13 deputy rectors quit on April 1 due to “personal and family limitations” in the face of the new NACC requirement for university deputy rectors. 

One need not have a big imagination to figure out what is being said here. The jig was up. 

This is a sham, he is only resigning for a day because the auditing day was until X day. He has since been revoted back on by the board, which does not require a new audit and he can complete his term. This is what I heard from a teacher.

I haven't written to weigh in on this because I rarely view TV from my computer and don't want to type this much on my phone.  

I am privy to a lot of the skuttlebutt surrounding the recent developments.  Needless to say - there is more to the story than meets the eye - definite conflicts of interest, gray money, and dubious public/private partnerships that would not withstand the light of day, hence the mass resignations.  This president has also presided over a failed tenure in terms of leadership - unable (or unwilling) to resolve personality issues between different faculties and staff.  There are few sad that he is going - and more than a few that are excited for potential for change and improvement at Thailand's top institution.  We haven't had a decent president here since Dr. Piyasakol (current minister of public health).  He was forced out by the Mahidol University Council after one 4 year term because he was "Too good" - presiding over amazing development of the campuses and skyrocketing jumps in the world rankings.  Since him we have had two bozos who couldn't lead their way out of a wet paper bag.  

6 minutes ago, Usernames said:

If I remember correctly it was the music dean-for-life who led a boycott and protest against him.

That was Rachada (not Piyasakol) - the former Minister of Public Health who refused to step down as President after he was appointed Minister by Gen. Prayut - creating an obvious conflict of interest which he chose to ignore - prompting the protest. 

Edited by Stradavarius37