Non standard colours

Hi, cannot find any info on the subject but shortly will be looking to exchange my current car for a new one and I like to be different within reason. Often notice brand new cars done in a colour that certainly isn't in the normal range of available colours so wonder if these are special orders from the manufacturer or done by an outside painshop. And if so is there any hassles having it done and what sort of costs are we looking at.

I would guess the main issue would be time. If you want outside the color chart, it would also depend on the make? and whether its made here or imported. Many factors can/will influence it.

If its painted "elsewhere" after leaving the factory it could even effect warranty.

I guess if you are buying something exotic a choice of colour may be available, but never known of a choice (outside those offered) by mainstream car makers.

Edited by giddyup

If you go outside to change the colour it will be a huge job because door shuts, edges must be painted, plus probably removing the engine and all ancillaries..If this ain't done the ride will look crap and resale would think near impossible.

Depending on the ride I doubt their are other colours on offer as rides are painted in batches, that's why folk may have a wait for a particular stock colour.

16 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I would therefor consider having the vehicle "wrapped".  Easy to remove if you fancy a change or going back to standard.

With the advisory that a wrap can cause deterioration of the original paint underneath which isn't apparent until after you take off the wrap.

If the OP wants a color that isn't available in the stock colors for the desired model of car, take a look at the colors available in other models of the same manufacturer. It is easier for a special request factory paint job to be done on a new build if they already have that paint in-house.

Unfortunately for Thailand, the range of colors from all the manufacturers combined tend to be uninspiringly 'more of the same' with interminable variations on metallic silver/bronze being most desirable followed by twenty shades of white and a dozen shades of black. It's an Asian thing apparently.

• 9 months later...

What does wrap mean?

I'm picking up a new 4 door BT-50 pro on tuesday and after having white and black before,we've decided on silver this time.

It does look a bit bland so was looking for a way to spruce it up with a 6" stripe from top of fender to top of tray down both sides.

So what colour would look good?blue,black,red???

And do they do it with a contact sticker,brand?

Thanks for any idea's.