Civil Court Rejects City's Challenge To BTS Accessibility Suit

snoop1130

Civil Court Rejects City's Challenge To BTS Accessibility Suit

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

เครือข่ายคนพิการ_๑๗๐๑๒๐_0003-696x464.jpg

Disabled commuters and rights activists rally along Ratchadapisek Road in Bangkok on their way to the Civil Court on Friday, Jan. 20, to file a class-action lawsuit against the city.

BANGKOK — The Civil Court said Thursday it has the authority to consider a class-action suit filed against City Hall for failing to make the BTS Skytrain system accessible to people with disabilities.

Rejecting a motion filed by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration that the case did not fall within its purview, the Civil Court said it is the proper legal venue because the suit seeks financial compensation for violating the disabled welfare law and not for action by officials, which would have placed it in the Administrative Court.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/05/18/civil-court-rejects-city-hall-injunction-can-consider-bts-accessibility-suit/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-5-18

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

Let's hope they win big - every building should have ramps or elevators to allow disabled people to use the facilities.

Add to that escalators that take you DOWN to the street level.

Since the initial action I notice that the elevator at Phaya Thai is unfortunately not working. The sign apologizes for any inconvenience. I go there regularly and for the last few months I've seen no sign of any progress in getting things working and refurbished.

Any one remember this actually working? 

As a wheelchair user I can comment that Bangkok is a real pain to get around in a wheelchair. I try to avoid going there hardly anything is accessible and the BTS is just another example unfortunately there are far to many to list, just try the pavements in a wheelchair and you will see what I mean.. Bangkok is just another third world very large city and they are all very similar.

Singapore is a real dream to get around but a really boring place to live. Good luck with the class action I hope it improves matters but I am not holding my breath.