Higher pilot retirement age urged

webfact

Higher pilot retirement age urged

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Legislative Assembly transport committee has proposed that the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) ask the relevant state agencies to revise rules to raise the retirement age of pilots to 65 years as part of the effort to solve the shortage of pilots.

The suggestion derived from the committee’s study on the production of aviation personnel in Thailand, and it was presented to the NLA yesterday by the subcommittee on aviation transport.

The state sector should also provide incentives to airlines and private aviation institutes to encourage them to support the purchase of equipment and teaching tools and textbooks for students in aviation courses, the panel said. The government should encourage all aviation students, except those in pilot courses, to be trained in aviation companies before graduate.

The committee also suggested that the government develop the CAAT as the regional aviation training centre.

According to the study, Thailand’s aviation and tourism sectors have experienced strong growth as well as a boom in the low-cost-airline and charter-flight businesses. However, the country has suffered from a shortage of aviation personnel, especially pilots and mechanics, which has affected the aviation industry. 

It also found that the country lacked a sufficient number of experienced pilots and flying trainers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30315621

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-19

Instead of increasing the retirement age, which is just a temporary patch which will take time to have an effect assuming not all Thai pilots are currently just a year short of retirement, why not try to find out where the shortage of pilots comes from?

Can it be related to the absurd regulations about nationality that there is a shortage of pilots?

I know there are tons of pilots in the west who need to make their flying hours but and could easily be convinced to take a job here.

They currently fly in worse conditions in other Asian nations to log their hours to advance their careers.

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Check the salarys of pilots in the States and what pilots make here

Many of these "pilots" in the US may have learned their flying in the military but do not have enough hours to qualify for their commercial license, so they fly the "Parker Pen" for more hours and end up flying as low paying cargo pilots or sometimes get work as copilots on cheap Asian airlines.They would gladly come over here to fly on Thai or one of their affiliates.

As an ex commercial and military pilot with 20,000 hrs I recommend the use of A I.  Airlines do not need human pilots.  Space technology has long shown that the state of the art is in AI.  Only the passengers and the Insurance companies require humans at the controls.  I would happily fly Boeing or Airbus with fully automatic systems.  You can have a ''Pilot'' to sit in the seat with a live visual feed to the passengers if necessary.  In fact most flights are now ''automatic''.  Only the ground taxying is usually manual.  Uber could soon fix that !!  Could Thailand take the lead and go Auto,  impossible, but this is the future.

35 minutes ago, peterpop said:

As an ex commercial and military pilot with 20,000 hrs I recommend the use of A I.  Airlines do not need human pilots.  Space technology has long shown that the state of the art is in AI.  Only the passengers and the Insurance companies require humans at the controls.  I would happily fly Boeing or Airbus with fully automatic systems.  You can have a ''Pilot'' to sit in the seat with a live visual feed to the passengers if necessary.  In fact most flights are now ''automatic''.  Only the ground taxying is usually manual.  Uber could soon fix that !!  Could Thailand take the lead and go Auto,  impossible, but this is the future.

And London City Airport is moving it's control tower to a new operations room some 100miles (160km) away from the airport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39960993

P.S.That is London England not Londonderry...

55 minutes ago, peterpop said:

When going to school as a mechanic at Boeing on the 767 They had a sign that showed "The Future Of Aviation" in the cockpit.It showed a pilot(The Captain) and a monkey holding a club.When asked about the picture the response was " The Capt's job is to talk to the passengers to make them welcome and to feel safe". And the monkey ? "His job is to club the Capt. is he tries to touch any thing in the cockpit other then the radios".

1 hour ago, peterpop said:

You and I both know that the 767,777,787s can at any time be set up to takeoff ,fly to destination,land and taxi to gate with no pilot at the controls but for the FFA.Even now with the US Air force using fly by wire 905 the FAA only lets us use the same tech knowledge only 105 in commercial airplanes. In the third seat in a 767 with construction on the terminal side of the airport ,the pilot set the computers to memory for the ground area we were taxing around . for out test flight.On the return after landing with hands off the airplane we were in taxied itself around the construction area to the gate.I think that this was in 1995 or so.

Not all  aircraft are as advanced as the B767 , 777, or 787s  or the Airbuses, and not all countries have the same conditions

at their airports.  Maybe in the next 50 years this may be possible but just like driverless cars being all over the world. That is

just a dream.  A I  may  get reliable enough that it can eventually be put into all jet aircraft,  but what about all the prop planes and

private and corperate planes and jets that fly around the world. The whole picture has to be included before A I  can replace

pilots in aircraft.  As I stated  at this time it is only a dream to replace the pilot and co pilot.  I worked in the aviation industry

for 32 years as well, and as a passenger I am happy that there was a flight crew in the cockpits of all the commercial  aircraft and

jets that I have flown.  I did not log thousands of hours in a jet, but I guess in the 32 years I logged that many hours talking to

pilots from student to airline and military.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
misspelling