Thonglor pub raided for violating closing time rule

rooster59

Thonglor pub raided for violating closing time rule

By The Nation

Tourist police and 191 emergency police raided the popular Blaq Lyte pub on Soi Thonglor early Saturday and arrested the owner for violating the closing time regulation and running it without a licence.

Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal, the commander of 191 police, led the raid at 2.30am.

Many tourists were still dancing at the time of the raid although pubs are required to close at 2am.

The owner, Ananya Wiratchon, 23, was arrested.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315772

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-20

A friend sold his pub in Thonglor after the B.I.B. arrested his manager for staying open after closing time. He tried to get his manager out on bail, but was told the police chief was too busy enjoying himself at a another pub on Thonglor which was allowed to stay open.

A world metropolis with provincial closing times.
2 am, hopefully this unfriendly rule falls.
People want to celebrate and enjoy their lifes without stupid regulations.
The only ones who benefit from this curfew are the criminals.

11 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

A world metropolis with provincial closing times.
2 am, hopefully this unfriendly rule falls.
People want to celebrate and enjoy their lifes without stupid regulations.
The only ones who benefit from this curfew are the criminals.

And the neighbors who would really like a little sleep.

Just now, impulse said:

And the neighbors who would really like a little sleep.

Sleeping, in the city center of a big city?
The traffic noise and your neighbors are often much louder.
To operate clubs with appropriate soundproofings would be possible.
Other major cities in the world have already found a good compromise between different interests.
I am disturbed by this general feeling of paternalism.

13 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Other major cities in the world have already found a good compromise between different interests.
I am disturbed by this general feeling of paternalism.

Paternalistic?  Nope.

I'm just keenly aware that the building next door to my apartment could become a disco tomorrow.  And there won't be any soundproofing measures, or any steps taken to mitigate the traffic mess it would cause, or to clean up the puddles of puke I'd be walking through on my way to work every morning.

Back in nanny land, zoning and public hearings before issuing building use permits would prevent that.  Here, brown envelopes trump any kind of legal restrictions.  It's only when HiSo neighbors start losing sleep (or their customers) that anything's done.

Edit:  Just to be clear, I'm not against people dancing and drinking until dawn.  But there's a whole body of law that need to be in place to protect the rights of other nearby people to enjoy the peaceful use of their homes before I'd be in favor of it.

Edited by impulse

People need to be aware of what goes on in the neighborhood that they move into. Buying a condo blind without knowledge of what is, or might, go on next door is pure stupidity. Noise pollution in Thailand is uncontrolled, just the same as many other things.

If you rent first you can move as I have done when things change.

Last time I moved was not a disco problem, but a load of cockerels crowing all day and night owned by the local mom and pop store. Time before they let dogs in the building that yapped all day and night too.

The Thais were not happy either, but as normal were reluctant to complain.

Location, location, location as they say in the property business, but don't believe what the agent tells you.

12 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

People need to be aware of what goes on in the neighborhood that they move into. Buying a condo blind without knowledge of what is, or might, go on next door is pure stupidity. Noise pollution in Thailand is uncontrolled, just the same as many other things.

The problem with that theory is that you may buy into a great location and the next month have a karaoke set up on one side of you and a pickled mackerel kitchen set up on the other side.

Paternalistic?  Nope.

I'm just keenly aware that the building next door to my apartment could become a disco tomorrow.  And there won't be any soundproofing measures, or any steps taken to mitigate the traffic mess it would cause, or to clean up the puddles of puke I'd be walking through on my way to work every morning.

Back in nanny land, zoning and public hearings before issuing building use permits would prevent that.  Here, brown envelopes trump any kind of legal restrictions.  It's only when HiSo neighbors start losing sleep (or their customers) that anything's done.

Edit:  Just to be clear, I'm not against people dancing and drinking until dawn.  But there's a whole body of law that need to be in place to protect the rights of other nearby people to enjoy the peaceful use of their homes before I'd be in favor of it.

But, but, but....anti-noise laws would make Thailand more of a nanny state and that would upset very many on this forum.

14 hours ago, impulse said:

The problem with that theory is that you may buy into a great location and the next month have a karaoke set up on one side of you and a pickled mackerel kitchen set up on the other side.

I know what you mean but, If you talk to the locals they usually know what is going on. I didn't move to where I live now in March '15 as I found out that there was a shopping center going to be built on the plot of land next door. I moved here after it was built last year. Unless you live in Pattaya or the like the karaoke should stop at 1am ish. Not sure what to do about the pickled mackerel kitchen, but you get some ripe smells wherever you are here.