Digital infrastructure projects underway across Thailand

Digital infrastructure projects underway across Thailand

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNECO600520001000202.jpg

BANGKOK, 20th May 2017 (NNT) – The Digital Economy and Society Ministry is speeding up digital infrastructure development projects nationwide. 

The Digital Economy and Society Minister Pichet Durongkaveroj said today he has instructed the Digital Economy Promotion Agency (DEPA) to oversee the implementation of a policy to create 500,000 digital startups and businesses over the next 20 years as well as instigate a project to install free Wi-Fi in all corners of Thailand. 

By 2018, Minister Pichet said 70,000 villages nationwide will have access to the internet. As of now, free Wi-Fi has already been installed in 30,000 communities. 

The goal of the Digital Economy Promotion Agency is to promote and support the development of digital industry and the adoption of digital technology in order to achieve the economic, social, cultural and security benefits at a national level in accordance with the Digital Development for Economy and Society Act B.E. 2560, promulgated on 23rd January 2017.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-20

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Don't tell me about the high and mighty acts of Digital Infrastructure.

Get those hanging cables underground first...!!!

Going on news reports, that way it's easier to electrocute the public during flooding - as has happened a number of times already.

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Going on news reports, that way it's easier to electrocute the public during flooding - as has happened a number of times already.

Then, wrong type of cables and connectors being used...

4 minutes ago, trogers said:

Then, wrong type of cables and connectors being used...

Absolutely.

Admittedly I have no experience of underground mains supply cables, but do have experience of underground telecom cables.

I'm sure they'll have problems already with the telcomms distribution where it's gone underground.

Larger telecomms cables (in the UK) had airtight joints, and were pressurised  using a low pressure air supply. In the case of a leak, the air would egress the cable, preventing any moisture ingressing. The compression system was also monitored and would raise an alarm when air was continually being pumped into the cables.

The smaller cables were grease filled. All of the cables had amour-clad sheathing around the inner cable.

I'm don't think I'm knocking the Thai system unfairly, but I'm guessing all this must be pretty new to them, when all the cables have been overhead in the past.