Junta gets thumbs down for handling of economy: Poll

rooster59

Junta gets thumbs down for handling of economy: Poll

By The Nation

ed13f0b09818043d75fdbd9db122de60.jpeg

People find a deterioration in the country’s economic situation, prices of goods and overall well-being under the junta government in the past three years, according to a Suan Dusit Poll. 

The respondents hoped that in the months before the next election, the junta would do better in improving the economy and tackling bread-and-butter issues.

The survey was conducted from May 15 to 19 among 1,264 respondents from across the country

While more than three-fourths of the people surveyed saw the economy as stagnant and nearly 84 per cent called for steps to improve the situation, almost 74 per cent were happy with the junta’s success in ending political street protests.

More than 70 per cent of the people surveyed also said that there has been some improvement in curbing corruption in the past three years.

Nearly two-thirds of the respondents acknowledged the junta’s efforts to regulate order in society and their success in cracking down on forest encroachment and reclaiming forests from illegal occupants.

People said there was some progress in the past three years in following the road map (55.30 per cent) and carrying out the reform plans, including the development of the fundamental structure (52.85 per cent).

Decline, however, was seen in some areas, according to the poll. Besides the ailing economy, some 72 per cent of the respondents said law enforcement and restriction of freedom had seen deterioration.

Almost 70 per cent also complained of a drop in the prices of agricultural products.

The other areas where the poll showed public concern about deterioration were governance as well as government expenditure (60.76 per cent) and increasing violence in the South (57.91).

About 83 per cent of poll respondents hoped the government would look into welfare relief for sick and unemployed people.

Nearly three quarters said they expect less corruption, while more than 71 per cent said they wanted to see the government follow the road map and nearly 71 per cent expected legal amendments to make punishments fair and proportionate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315786

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-20

While more than three-fourths of the people surveyed saw the economy as stagnant and nearly 84 per cent called for steps to improve the situation, almost 74 per cent were happy with the junta’s success in ending political street protests.

Thats still the junta's biggest accompishment: telling their henchman to stop the violence and protesting as they finally had reason enough to take power.

Its like giving a bank robber a reward for taking the week off because it led to a drop in bank robberies....

How would one know the real status?  The state treasury, gross sales tax receipt income, individual or business total income tax refund, and large stuff like that I doubt is available or could be trusted.  Does anybody audit such things?  Is there any visibility?  The only things an average consumer or Thai person will see is the price of goods, petrol, groceries, etc. 

Really? A military authoritarian government is bad for the economy and civil liberties but will drag people away if they protest? Who would have been able to predict this in advance? Glad to see people aren't totally out of touch with reality...

They are quite obviously out to destroy micro-businesses and small-time entrepreneurs.  When these Einstein's eventually destroy the very small, street-based, free-market enterprises where many in the poorest segments of Thai society find a way to make money, then what will they do with the unemployed?  

Edited by connda

13 minutes ago, connda said:

They are quite obviously out to destroy micro-businesses and small-time entrepreneurs.  When these Einstein's eventually destroy the very small, street-based, free-market enterprises where many in the poorest segments of Thai society find a way to make money, then what will they do with the unemployed?  

The question is what will the unemployed do with them.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Don't believe one word of these polls .....  they are so inaccurate ....

Thailand is doing fine under the Junta ... :wai:

Easy to bring the country into line by pointing massive great guns at them.

Thailand is doing fine like NK is doing fine.

Try disagreeing and see what happens.

Just now, jesimps said:

Easy to bring the country into line by pointing massive great guns at them.

Thailand is doing fine like NK is doing fine.

Try disagreeing and see what happens.

I don't care what you say ...   would you rather thailand go back to the way it was before ?   protests ... blockages ... killings ... instability ....   should I go on ...

To many keyboard farang just whinge ... whinge ...  but still choose to stay in Thailand ... when are farang going to understand that democracy does not work here .... there are too many who want power and fights break out ....

but i respect your opinion .... I'm just being honest and how it really is here ...

I don't think they have thought that far...
They are still rubbing their hands with glee at the thought that with the small scale enterprises gone, everyone will have to buy from them.

I don't care what you say ...   would you rather thailand go back to the way it was before ?   protests ... blockages ... killings ... instability ....   should I go on ...
To many keyboard farang just whinge ... whinge ...  but still choose to stay in Thailand ... when are farang going to understand that democracy does not work here .... there are too many who want power and fights break out ....
but i respect your opinion .... I'm just being honest and how it really is here ...

Think about it - when the inevitable reaction to this regime comes ( and yes it may be a long time coming) it will be many many times worse than " before".

They're not going to wai and retire quietly this time.

Just now, JAG said:

Think about it - when the inevitable reaction to this regime comes ( and yes it may be a long time coming) it will be many many times worse than " before".

They're not going to wai and retire quietly this time.

correct .... but it's a heck of a lot better than before ...  

3 hours ago, halloween said:

But I've been assured that polls have no credibility, or is that only the bits that don't fit the agenda?

By agenda do you mean reality?

For more on the term "agenda" please see post # 11 by your fellow junta apologist steven100

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

If you don't care what he says why should anyone care what you say?

To answer your question; yes, I would rather Thailand go back to the way it was before.

That way there would be a chance that Thailand could make some progress and not be dragged a** backwards by the same bunch of dinos for the umpteenth time.

Edited by Becker

The Duist poll in the past has taken a different line, at one stage 99% were in favor of the Junta , so this starling turn around comes as no surprise,  the out comes are more accurate than previous polls , as they say, U can fool the people some of the time but not all of the time...........................................................:coffee1:

49 minutes ago, steven100 said:

if you don't like the way thailand is then why stay ....

Ah, the "if you don't like it then leave" advice (disguised as a question).

As I reply to the other brainiacs who give me the same inane advice it's because of small things like family, property etc.

Tell me, I'm sure you were unhappy during the various elected governments. Why didn't you leave?

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

My biggest complaint is the sun light glaring off of all those medals and blinding me. Yes I am having a blockage at the moment and its killing me. Old age brings on some instability but I will overcome it. Yes to many want power but at the end of a gun barrel power? What did Churchill say about democracy oh yes democracy is the worst form of government except for all others but then Churchill did no say it. Just cannot believe anyone any more. 

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The other areas where the poll showed public concern about deterioration were governance as well as government expenditure (60.76 per cent) and increasing violence in the South (57.91).

Is the public giving the government a time out on military spending??