Thai govt steps up nationwide eradication of child prostitution

webfact

Govt steps up nationwide eradication of child prostitution

PNPOL600521001003801.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 May 2017 (NNT) – The government is stepping up its nationwide eradication of child prostitution, retaining strict law enforcement against mafia networks, encouraging the general public to inform officials of any suspicious clues. 

Ministry of Defense Spokesman Maj Gen Kongcheep Tantrawanich revealed that the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Gen Prawit Wongsuwan had ordered the Royal Thai Police to eradicate child prostitution in all areas of the country according to the Prime Minister's policy, and to work with the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security to provide protection to victims and prosecute all human trafficking activity. 

The Defense Minister had stressed security officials to retain strict law enforcement against mafia networks and persons involved in the sabotage of national stability, including the sales of narcotics, illegal weapons, assassin rings, violent informal debt groups, the human trafficking groups, and prostitution. 

The Defense Ministry spokesman said security officials have since October 2016 seized some 20,000 guns and busted some 10 million pills of drugs from major narcotics network, and that authorities are tracing the trail of money to the money-laundering and international criminal networks. 

He said the government is working to ensure public safety based on the principles of freedom, fairness, and equality under the law, and encourages public participation in the government's operations to solve social issues. The government is now asking the general public to help watching out for each other's safety by informing suspicious clues to authorities.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-22

Step up!!!!

It's been going on for years! It should not exist!

I for one was very surprised and disgusted to learn the extend of such crimes within Thailand. I never would have thought it was this bad based on what I used to believe in, about the Thai culture.

Daily reports of monks behaving badly. (sorry for the pun) Road rage violence. Child sex slaves etc..

Very sad.

I was once told, Thailand was a family oriented, fun loving, honest, spiritual, respectful, caring place. I beg to differ.

19 minutes ago, pentap said:

Daily reports of monks behaving badly. (sorry for the pun)

A pun is a play on words .... the absence of a pun suggests you have some other monkey business in mind!!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Defense Minister had stressed security officials to retain strict law enforcement against mafia networks and persons involved in the sabotage of national stability, including the sales of narcotics, illegal weapons, assassin rings, violent informal debt groups, the human trafficking groups, and prostitution. 

If the first step in solving a problem is admitting it exists, maybe this is a first step. 

Speaks volumes, though, that it's coming from the Defense Ministry and not domestic law enforcement agencies (who are probably getting more nervous by the day).

I'm not optimistic, but I am hopeful.

Step up!!!!

I for one was very surprised and disgusted to learn the extend of such crimes within Thailand. I never would have thought it was this bad based on what I used to believe in, about the Thai culture.

Daily reports of monks behaving badly. (sorry for the pun) Road rage violence. Child sex slaves etc..

Very sad.

I was once told, Thailand was a family oriented, fun loving, honest, spiritual, respectful, caring place. I beg to differ.

Indeed. It was going on for years in the UK, US and elsewhere in the 70s/80s/90s and very belatedy the government and police started to take it seriously and do something about it. Good to see Thailand doing the same, although how effective it is remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Encouraging the public to inform on officials, are they serious?

Public inform on officials then the local government mafia hound them, threaten them, you have to stop now or else.

Col u are so right mate They have a chance to put some big boys away surrounding This Mae Hong stuff Instead they are hounding the girl who blew the whistle to shut her mouth. Just La la talk all words no action Just been seen to be doing something and life goes on

Ministry of Defense comments on law enforcement.

Part of the problem here is that everyone wants to do someone else's job.

One would assume that child prostitution would already be being proactively investigated, prosecuted and eliminated. And that there wouldn't be a need to "step anything up" unless there was some exposing of shady goings-on int he press? 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The title of the story sounded like a good idea, but then I read it is the Govt wants everyone to spy on everyone else. Isn't that what happens in a police state?

well they have at least admitted there IS a mafia problem here

7 hours ago, webfact said:

he Defense Ministry spokesman said security officials have since October 2016 seized some 20,000 guns and busted some 10 million pills of drugs from major narcotics network, and that authorities are tracing the trail of money to the money-laundering and international criminal networks. 

Is this a plug thrown in for good measure.?

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

The Mae Hong Song fiasco seems to indicate the opposite. Currently trying to stifle witnesses on the basis it would not be good for Thailands image!

Here in the terms of Thai image and justice there is a disconnect methinks

7 hours ago, pentap said:

Step up!!!!

Very sad.

Come back to reality my friend. All these stories about the land of smiles being a nice friendly place to bring up your kids. Forget it, Thailand is a violent place for the locals, a country where hierarchy and status is everything

17 hours ago, Ridler said:

Come back to reality my friend. All these stories about the land of smiles being a nice friendly place to bring up your kids. Forget it, Thailand is a violent place for the locals, a country where hierarchy and status is everything

Which is what he said with "I beg to differ". No need for him to take a reality check. He is already spot on. You however might do with a reading lesson.

If they truly did this reform then a very large percentage of past and present government officials and bib officers would be in jail. So it is not going to happen.

Edited by sanukjim