Man, 20, dies as sports bike slams head-on into pickup at high speed

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, loong said:

Look at the video posted earlier. The cars were not parked there at the time, they were parked sometime after the accident.

The pick up driver was parked facing the correct way and did a U turn to go in the opposite direction.

There is something strange about that video that makes me doubt your comment Loong.Have a another look at the video. Take a look at the road markings on the initial impact clip from the CCTV. Where are the double yellow lines?

Unless they picked up the entire debris from the accident and relocated it, I'd say we're seeing two different accidents!

I agree with gk's assessment below. It fits in with accident scene completely and with the pick-up driver's comments. 

On 5/24/2017 at 11:02 PM, gk10002000 said:

Looking at the picture, I think I understand what happened.  Thais drive on the left side of the road.  Fine.  But it looks like the pickup and other vehicles are parked on the right side of the road.  That should not be allowed on a two way street.  They are parking on the wrong side of the street.  So as the pickup "pulled out" he was technically driving on the wrong side of the road until he crosses over to the left side lane.  And when he first parked he was also driving on the wrong side of the road while he parked his car. 

I was reading an article recently about accidents and, apparently the most common post accident excuse given is: ''I didn't see it''. (or him, or her)

Edited by Moonlover
Add paragragh

5 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Sold my 650 Ninja yesterday and i am not getting on a bike any more here in Thailand.

I see the stupidity  in traffic growing per day,Thai and even a lot of foreigners !

I prefer to stay alive so will only be driving my cars from now on.

It depends on whether you're happier killing others, or being killed yourself....

Knowing that I couldn't live with myself if involved in an accident in which someone died (plus knowing that I don't concentrate enough in a car, as I feel too safe....) - my personal, choice is to only ride a scooter.  Extremely unlikely I'll kill someone else on a scooter :smile:.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:43 PM, dick dasterdly said:

It depends on whether you're happier killing others, or being killed yourself....

Knowing that I couldn't live with myself if involved in an accident in which someone died (plus knowing that I don't concentrate enough in a car, as I feel too safe....) - my personal, choice is to only ride a scooter.  Extremely unlikely I'll kill someone else on a scooter :smile:.

I don't think i would be happier if i killed someone , but if i have to choose between me and another then i will choose for me !

It looks like the the speed limit on that road should have been about 25-30. Of course, most roads in Thailand don't have speed limit signs and I agree, most Thai drivers pullout into traffic without looking, so it's possible the pickup driver would be partialy at fault, but

at the speed of the bike he was also responsible and paid with his life. I'm sure his parents feel bad about buying him such a powerful bike. RIP to him and his family.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, Moonlover said:

There is something strange about that video that makes me doubt your comment Loong.Have a another look at the video. Take a look at the road markings on the initial impact clip from the CCTV. Where are the double yellow lines?

Unless they picked up the entire debris from the accident and relocated it, I'd say we're seeing two different accidents!

I agree with gk's assessment below. It fits in with accident scene completely and with the pick-up driver's comments. 

I was reading an article recently about accidents and, apparently the most common post accident excuse given is: ''I didn't see it''. (or him, or her)

I admit that the video is a bit unclear and the road markings are certainly not clear.

The pick-up appears to pull out from being parked off road in front of some sort of workshop, doing a U-turn. It would have been better if the video had started just a few seconds earlier.

Then it is 2 videos spliced together, because the aftermath is definitely the same as in the still picture.

I'll re-post the video to save people searching for it

9 minutes ago, loong said:

I admit that the video is a bit unclear and the road markings are certainly not clear.

The pick-up appears to pull out from being parked off road in front of some sort of workshop, doing a U-turn. It would have been better if the video had started just a few seconds earlier.

Then it is 2 videos spliced together, because the aftermath is definitely the same as in the still picture.

I'll re-post the video to save people searching for it

I've just taken a fresh look at it the video and I'm still convinced that there are two separate accidents depicted on the video.

The road markings on the initial impact video are two sets of broken white lines. But on the handheld, the pick-up is straddling solid yellow lines. 

There is probably nothing sinister in at all. It's possible that some bored online geek went in search of videos of the accident and came up two very similar accidents and assumed they were the same one. Especially as the date/time stamp on the CCTV shoot matches the police comment about the time the accident was reported.

Bike meets car...vast majority of time bike loses.  Makes sense to be a much more defensive driver on a bike/scooter/motorcycle, right?  Full face helmet, proper clothing, including footwear.  Maybe even take the Honda (or similar) riding course.  Oh yeah, wait... Mai Pen Rai...right?  Not for the guy on the yellow bike though. 

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've just taken a fresh look at it the video and I'm still convinced that there are two separate accidents depicted on the video.

The road markings on the initial impact video are two sets of broken white lines. But on the handheld, the pick-up is straddling solid yellow lines. <snip>

Simply bad quality video from the CCTV.

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The road markings on the initial impact video are two sets of broken white lines. But on the handheld, the pick-up is straddling solid yellow lines. 

There is probably nothing sinister in at all. It's possible that some bored online geek went in search of videos of the accident and came up two very similar accidents and assumed they were the same one. Especially as the date/time stamp on the CCTV shoot matches the police comment about the time the accident was reported.

nonsense, the first video (from distance) is not clear enough to make out the road markings especially the yellow ones, that is all, go pour yourself another coffee and relax

The big mistake the deceased "man" (boy?) on the motorbike made (besides his speeding) was attempting to pass the pickup on the right (the pickup's left side) rather than pass behind it. Maybe it was poor judgment, maybe his bike could not make the maneuver at such a high speed. At high-speed, perhaps the decision was made at some distance from the pickup (while it was still blocking his side of the road, but moving) and could not be withdrawn or corrected due to the high-speed inertia of the bike. Who knows?

It's one of the basic decisions to be made out there when sharing the road with other vehicles. Do you get in front of another vehicle or behind it to pass it at ninety degrees. I'll almost always choose "behind" even if the other vehicle is not moving. Had a motorbike taxi run head-on into me one morning because he violated this rule (or had never even contemplated it).

Edited by MaxYakov

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

The big mistake the deceased "man" (boy?) on the motorbike made (besides his speeding) was attempting to pass the pickup on the right (the pickup's left side) rather than pass behind it. Maybe it was poor judgment, maybe his bike could not make the maneuver at such a high speed. At high-speed, perhaps the decision was made at some distance from the pickup (while it was still blocking his side of the road, but moving) and could not be withdrawn or corrected due to the high-speed inertia of the bike. Who knows?

It's one of the basic decisions to be made out there when sharing the road with other vehicles. Do you get in front of another vehicle or behind it to pass it at ninety degrees. I'll almost always choose "behind" even if the other vehicle is not moving. Had a motorbike taxi run head-on into me one morning because he violated this rule (or had never even contemplated it).

It's a very common mistake. Motorist and bikers do it when they encounter pedestrians crossing the road ahead of them. They tend to steer to pass in front them, instead taking the safer option of steering to go behind them. (if it's possible of course) I actually learned this rule from boating. It's one of the basic rules for avoiding collisions at sea. Aim for the the other boats stern!

And as far as the road markings go on the ''collision video'', there's a few folks here who really should have their eyes tested! (Or maybe better computer screens!)

Edited by Moonlover

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Two for the price of one then