Far fewer Brits coming to Thailand - but they are behaving much worse

webfact

Just now, smotherb said:

Well, they are UK government stats, but being Brits; they may be behaving worse too.

But they are based on apples and oranges and are not UK stats (they have no way to know) but on Thai entry/exit records.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would agree with others here, these stats don't mean much. For example, 'rape and sexual assault', 13 vs 13. The actual number of visitors is secondary because correct analysis might show that the number visitors has dropped because the number of those less likely to suffer this has declined. Those more likely to suffer 'rape and sexual assault', say people within a certain age range, might still be visiting at the same rate. The OP shows little more than 'nice pictures'.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Figures revealed by the British government show a huge drop of visitors to Thailand in recent years but a massive rise in arrests especially for drugs.

Kinda makes sense.  Fewer regular people (quality tourists?), so this is what's left. 

My original source is the opening post. It first states there were 432,000 Consular visits. Then it said there were 432,000 British tourists that year. It's easier to believe the Thai government data than the obviously flawed opening post data. The source of the government data is more reliable than the opening post data. 

36 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Did you notice?

Yes...Thailand is a very dangerous place for British tourists.

13 million British visitors to Spain had 697 deaths......30 times the number of tourists and yet only 1.8 times the death ratio.

3.5 million British visitors to the USA had 132 deaths. ......8 times the number of tourists and yet only 1/3 the death ratio. 

I think it's all about where people retire to that distorts the figures.

Take a close look at the stats,  a few changes, but overall not much difference.  The main stats are correct maybe--far fewer are coming,  one reason being,  look at all the mess there is to get an Elite card--compare it to the retirement visa -little difference. and pay out 500,000 baht.    second reason long stayers are being increasingly put off by the red tape-paperwork and reporting 90 days--retirement or 0 non immigrant visa,  especially now Hull are not issuing this anymore.

TAT should re think about this visa-immigration subject especially for GOOD LONG TERM PERSONS.

Lastly at 44 baht to the pound the Thai government should intervene and de-value as it is far too high,   spending power is too low at the minute.

2 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

In 2013 YS was still in government so it is unclear what you mean. You are assuming that the police changed something but like the saying goes assumption is the mother of all <deleted>ups.

I assumed nothing, I offered a possible (and rational) explanation for an observed phenomenon. Is your mind so befuddled that you can't understand the topic is ABOUT observed change SINCE 2013.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Personally, I find British to be most rude, selfish and badly behaved "visitors" in Thailand. Bottom of the barrel, really.

Also the first one who will whine and complain about the their "nanny state", but will fly home like a speedy Gonzales when they get enough from their "crowdfunding" campaign in case of the accident. 

And they are probably the first one to complain about Chinese and Russian tourists who are hi-so in comparison.

Lol...they are not from the bottom of the barrel. Ive got some good Brit mates here in los. Some are even inteligent and well behaved. Brit Basher....?

5 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

The figure could be the number who applied for a Visa in the UK.

How do they actually know how many come as the majority fly via another country as there are no direct flights apart from Heathrow.

Urrrrrr uk passports perhaps........

I do not believe that visitors from the UK have halved in one year. And also I don't believe that crime by Brits have doubled in 1 year. There is something wrong with the statistics.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stats above are not correct. Please ignore the part where it says only 432,000 Brits visited Thailand. It's quite misleading. Especially since the information above that says it was 432,000 Consular visits and not tourists visiting Thailand. 

My source:
http://tourism2.tourism.go.th/home/details/11/221/25516

Also it said 65 million trips abroad from UK people. The fact that there is about 60 million people in the UK I find that number quite high.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Urrrrrr uk passports perhaps........

We went down this road the other week, no check of passports when you leave the  UK and I can't see the Thai Authorities telling the Brits how many arrived, they probably don't have a system to distinguish nationalities.

9 minutes ago, captspectre said:

not much new here, the brits have always been slobs, especially around the Nana area and soi cowboy! ill mannered, loud mouthed, and nasty to the Thai's who have to serve them. I avoid them like the plague!

Wow, I guess you missed all of the other hundred different nationalities getting up to similar crap? Probably a shed load from your part of the world included. 

15 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I do not believe that visitors from the UK have halved in one year. And also I don't believe that crime by Brits have doubled in 1 year. There is something wrong with the statistics.

I can believe there are half the number of entries and exits.  The visa rules have severely reduced the guys doing 6-12 crossings a year for visa runs.  And with the oilfield in the toilet, there are thousands (tens of thousands?) fewer UK tax refugees calling Thailand home on their off rotations.  And then there's the general economy and the Brexit- which has probably reduced British tourism just because of the general economic uncertainty- not to mention the drop in the currency exchange rate.

Personally, I'm suspicious that the reduction in offshore oilfield rotation guys is responsible for an outsized portion of the reduction.  They don't need a tax refuge if they're not employed, and they don't have as much money to travel, either.  A lot of long stay oilfield guys working in Thailand have been laid off or sent home because of low prices and a tightening of work permits.  And I know some of them that did 20-30 entries a year with their side trips to nearby hooker spots.

Edited by impulse

With budget airlines & the working class Pom being able to afford to holiday in the Far East 

of course these ruffians  are going to get into more trouble especially those that think they

can handle their booze (which is an absolute myth)

The simple fact is that Thailand has lost its appeal to the Western tourist and Thailand is concentrating on getting more chinese to come in.  Most British vacation closer to home- which is Spain and the rest of Europe. Most Americans are the same. They vacation in Central and South America.

In addition, Thailand is not a cheap vacation spot any longer especially since the decline of the Pound. There are many other choices that provide better value for the money . Places like Phuket and Pattaya have a poor reputation with thefts and assaults as well as a crumbling infrastructure and poor beach quality.  In the age of social media and rapid communication- it is impossible to hide these deficiencies. Most tourist areas in Thailand are way overbuilt and have deteriorated as a result of too many tourists. Western tourists vote with their feet. The Chinese haven't reached that point yet.

19 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

We went down this road the other week, no check of passports when you leave the  UK and I can't see the Thai Authorities telling the Brits how many arrived, they probably don't have a system to distinguish nationalities.

If you believe that Thai immigration can't count, tally and analyze the number of arrivals from various countries as they swipe your passport, I suggest you never try to outsmart them.  

I'm not saying they're THAT smart.  Or that they don't play fast and loose with their proclamations related to tourist numbers.  But underestimating your adversary is folly.

33 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Wow, I guess you missed all of the other hundred different nationalities getting up to similar crap? Probably a shed load from your part of the world included. 

haven't seen a "hundred" different nationalities, in the whole of thailand. what is the word "shed?" also the brits stand out because of their cockney accent, their dressing like homeless, their loud profane mouth! just sit at a bar on soi four and watch and listen! 

I don't know about the brits but behavior right across the board in Thailand has slowly gone south over the past two decades, I wouldn't worry to much about your visitors I'd be more concerned with your rebellious youth. ...............................................:coffee1: