Far fewer Brits coming to Thailand - but they are behaving much worse

webfact

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/24/2017 at 3:30 PM, GAZZPA said:

I think there is certainly a drop in visitor numbers from GB, but also from other EU countries. The focus on this topic should be why? And for me the reason is obvious and been debated on this forum a thousand times. Military rule, unfriendly, xenophobia, nationalistic attitude bordering racism, a general feeling that Thailand is unsafe, nothing but Sex tourism, scams, deaths in short acres of bad publicity. So much bad publicity that all you have left is a disproportionate amount of low life sex tourists and drug users / abusers. Basically quality tourists just dont come here so much anymore and the high numbers are simply dwindling as Thailand is no longer considered "the place" to have a beach holiday. There are far better options closer to home that are not expensive.

I live in Jomtien (Pattaya) and when I look around and see what there is on offer I honestly could not say it is worth coming here if what you want is a high quality vacation with great beaches, great scenery, friendly people and restaurants to remember. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional. However, if you want cheap beer, cheap room to stay in, Go Go bars and an army of prostitutes to chose from then fill yer boots.

Cant see it changing anytime soon...

You could not have hit the nail on the head any better, But you will never convince a sex tourist that he is a sex tourist.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 5:45 AM, halloween said:

Either the UK visitors are behaving much worse, or there had been a much higher level of drug law enforcement, which itself may be an indication the BIB are less likely to accept a bribe rather than enforce the law. 

What could have caused a change in BIB behaviour since 2013?

Nothing , BIB behaviour has not changed , your ( biased ) supposition is flawed.

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Thongkorn said:

You could not have hit the nail on the head any better, But you will never convince a sex tourist that he is a sex tourist.

Equally you will never convince me that the average ex pat is far different from a sex ' tourist '.

Such issues will needlessly flare xenophobia, hate, racism against the British in Thailand.

With no intent to debate on the veracity or the credibility of the figures of the OP's statistics, it's once again the proportion of those who misbehave, who give a disastrous image to the whole community.....

A bit like in Britain, where terror attacks regularly flame up xenophobia, racism, stigmatization and extremist comments towards the entire muslim communities....I'm sure you get the picture....

This should be taken as a lesson of life and not to indulge in racism,  or xenophobia that follow, after incidents occur or statistics are published, no matter where you live or  where you come from...

Edited by observer90210

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, halloween said:

Either the UK visitors are behaving much worse, or there had been a much higher level of drug law enforcement, which itself may be an indication the BIB are less likely to accept a bribe rather than enforce the law. 

What could have caused a change in BIB behaviour since 2013?

I'd like to see a breakdown of the drug arrest stats. Are they young people buying drugs in Full Moon party stings, or older people/ expats?

46 doesn't seem a high number considering how many youths use drugs now.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, Thongkorn said:

Define "sex tourist".

Is it only one or more than one ( and which ) of the following?

a tourist that has sex with a Thai for money and no other involvement

a tourist that has sex with a Thai, and pays in ways other than money

a tourist that has a long term relationship with a Thai that works in the hospitality industry

a farang that marries/ lives with a Thai that used to work in the hospitality industry and gives them/ family money

a farang that marries/ lives with a Thai ( and pays in other ways than money ).

Also, please state why being a "sex tourist" in Thailand is different/ worse from/ than using prostitutes in any other country,

and why is being a "sex tourist" wrong/ bad/ criminal as long as it only involves consenting adults over the age of consent?

NB, prostitution is legal in many western countries.

Brits in Thailand do have a bad reputation with people from other countries, as conversations I have had with non British tourists confirms ( before anyone jumps in, that was obviously based on a small number of non British tourists, but most tourists don't bring up the subject about other nationalities ).

On my recent visits to Pattaya and Chiang Mai it seems that there are less British looking people ( obviously I was unable to ask all of them their nationality ) than in the past.

Also, from reading on the internet, that would seem to be true.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:09 AM, mrfaroukh said:

Very good news that there has been drop in Brits tourist by 50%. I have noticed myself that they just drink and look for a fight. I almost had problem with at least 20 of them in couple of years but fortunately I did not respond to their insult. 

Perhaps you need to go somewhere else. I only ever had a problem with 1 US guy in all the years I've been hanging out in Thai bars.

The thing about Thai bar areas that has always impressed me is how much safer than they are than bar areas back home. Most people are just there to enjoy themselves and not looking to make trouble.

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Define "sex tourist".

Is it only one or more than one ( and which ) of the following?

a tourist that has sex with a Thai for money and no other involvement

a tourist that has sex with a Thai, and pays in ways other than money

a tourist that has a long term relationship with a Thai that works in the hospitality industry

a farang that marries/ lives with a Thai that used to work in the hospitality industry and gives them/ family money

a farang that marries/ lives with a Thai ( and pays in other ways than money ).

Also, please state why being a "sex tourist" in Thailand is different/ worse from/ than using prostitutes in any other country,

and why is being a "sex tourist" wrong/ bad/ criminal as long as it only involves consenting adults over the age of consent?

NB, prostitution is legal in many western countries.

Brits in Thailand do have a bad reputation with people from other countries, as conversations I have had with non British tourists confirms ( before anyone jumps in, that was obviously based on a small number of non British tourists, but most tourists don't bring up the subject about other nationalities ).

On my recent visits to Pattaya and Chiang Mai it seems that there are less British looking people ( obviously I was unable to ask all of them their nationality ) than in the past.

Also, from reading on the internet, that would seem to be true.

Sex tourist , Someone who  abuses the Local girls in a Country other than their own , hence Tourist, mainly becasue their perversions would not be tolerated in their own country,,  some one who does not understand or care why the girls are selling their bodies, and usualy they have a string of broken relationships behind them

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Sex tourist , Someone who  abuses the Local girls in a Country other than their own , hence Tourist, mainly becasue their perversions would not be tolerated in their own country,,  some one who does not understand or care why the girls are selling their bodies, and usualy they have a string of broken relationships behind them

I have had sexual relations with many bar girls over the years ( as have many ex pats ) yet do not fit a single one of your ridiculous stereotypes.Many of these girls have become friends , some of them I have offered assistance to , both in an emotional and financial sense. And before you start mocking , largely I have been repaid in both regards. No doubt your pious sermonising is a result of being attracted only to the Thai weather , culture and temples. Furthermore I am sure your wife is a princess and loves you only because of your rugged good looks and charming disposition.

You may place me in any box that you desire if it makes you feel better about yourself , me I prefer to put money in poor girls pockets rather than giving lectures.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:54 PM, joecoolfrog said:

Equally you will never convince me that the average ex pat is far different from a sex ' tourist '.

From my perspective, I went from tourist to sexpat to expat, and might be leaving Thailand for good next year after living here since 1998.

For a number of reasons I haven't bothered with the seemier side of Thailand for many years now, I might visit girlie bars for a drink, but never the sex thing. One factor being that I want to preserve my finances.

I have expat friends the same as me, then again, as you say, the "nightlife" is a big draw for many, as it was once for me.