Visa Run before Type O Retirement Visa

Have a question regarding my issue with Type O Retirement Visa.  Last month I had to go back to the US for a family emergency and my visa was a single entry, already used so now it is invalid.

I made the mistake of not going to my immigration office to tell them this and probably could have saved me the hassle of the issue I  now have.

Now that I have returned, the BKK immigration said I had no valid visa and now a 30 day stamp was put in my US passport.  So now I have gone to my local immigration office in Nakhon Si Thammarat,

they told me I will need to make a visa run, suggested Malaysia and have done this trip in the past to George Town, Penang, Malaysia, to the Thai Royal Consulate.

Do I need to go through the process with bank statement from my Thai bank again showing the 800k baht?  This run is to just renew or obtain a new Type O retirment visa?

Don't really understand why I am going out and back in for this trip in order to get a 90 day extension to stay.  I am just unsure what documents are required for this trip concerning bank statement.

My immigration officer told me to come back to see him next Thur before I make the run, maybe will ask for clarification in english, but I not sure if my wife got the instructions correct this time.

Any help and explanation of why I need to do this would be much appreciated.

At Penang you will need to show the 800k baht in the bank and have proof you are retired from the US embassy. You could do a income affidavit and show any amount of income to use as proof you are retired.

If you wife is Thai it would be easier to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. You would only need to show 200k baht in the bank.

• Like 1

You are obtaining a new visa and making a new entry using it for a new 90 day permitted to stay and can extend that say yearly if you meet the financial conditions during the final month or so of you new 90 day stay.  You must have a non immigrant visa entry to allow extending (but this will be for 1 year each time - not 90 days - perhaps you are confused as you also have to report presence every 90 days in a different channel?).

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe & Lopburi3 for the clarification.  I believe there was a little confusion with the 90 day reporting, which I did last year and up to April this year, now I think it is clear for the new 90 day permitted to stay and prepare for a new visa probably late July or early Aug, thanks again.

2 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe & Lopburi3 for the clarification.  I believe there was a little confusion with the 90 day reporting, which I did last year and up to April this year, now I think it is clear for the new 90 day permitted to stay and prepare for a new visa probably late July or early Aug, thanks again.

Hi bstafford214 You don't quite seem to be clear you will be applying for a 90 day non imm. "O" visa which will give

you permission to stay in Thailand for the duration of that visa, during the last 30 days or so you can apply for an

extension ( not a visa ) of that permission to stay on the grounds of retirement or marriage to a Thai national,

I have been on a renewable retirement extension for the last 9 years and ubonjoe has been on a renewable marriage

extension for 9 years, you need to decide which one you prefer.

Once you have obtained your initial extension you will have to meet the same requirements annually to renew your

extension every year.

You will not be required to leave the country but you will be required to do 90 day reports at your imm. office.

If you do wish to leave the country at any time you will need to obtain a re-entry permit to keep your extension alive.

Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I thought you had to show 400,000 Bt for the extension due to marriage. Am I wrong?

You are correct KB, I avoided the requirements because individual imm. offices vary quite a lot

making it difficult to make an accurate list unless the ops office is known.

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I thought you had to show 400,000 Bt for the extension due to marriage. Am I wrong?

For the extension it is 400k baht.

I assume you are writing about 200k baht needed to apply for a single entry non-o visa at Penang I wrote about.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

For the extension it is 400k baht.

I assume you are writing about 200k baht needed to apply for a single entry non-o visa at Penang I wrote about.

Yes, I was.

So, you have to show 200k for visa, then 400k for extension?

In Penang, I had to show 800k for retirement and 800k for extension.

A point no one else has made yet, to save you similar grief in the future ...

When you travel outside Thailand, if you want to keep your current permission to stay intact, you should get a re-entry permit. If you only travel rarely, you can get a single re-entry permit before traveling for 1,000 baht. If you travel more frequently, when you get a one-year extension of stay, at the same time ask for a multiple re-entry permit for 3,800 baht. This will ensure that you do not cancel your one-year extension of stay when you travel outside Thailand and return.

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I was.

So, you have to show 200k for visa, then 400k for extension?

In Penang, I had to show 800k for retirement and 800k for extension.

Apparently Penang does not expect you to qualify for an extension based upon marriage to get the single entry non-o visa. For a multiple entry non-o they want to see 400k baht. Most other embassies and consulates ask for no financial proof to get a single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

If you had a retirement visa/extension for a year when you left Thailand you could have applied for a re-entry permit.

That could have kept your retirement visa/extension valid for the whole year of your extension.

Leaving without a re-entry permit canceled your retirement visa ,extension on exit.

if you had a 1 year retirement visa/extension  a 1000 Baht single entry re-entry permit would have avoided all that hassle, and your retirement visa/extension would not have been canceled on exit fro Thailand.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

and have proof you are retired from the US embassy.

i just do not understand this: i retired very early and all it took was 'i am retiring'; nothing formal; so why and how can we get a doc from us indicating this ? i get social security but even that is not technically any sort of 'retirement doc'; (people on SSC work all the time)

OR is all of this just another marginally logical thai requirement that our embassy just rubber stamps (and we have to pay a goodly amount for ?);

i can tell my embassy that i earn 10,000,000 baht/month in pensions and they will just smile , stamp and charge me

18 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

i just do not understand this: i retired very early and all it took was 'i am retiring'; nothing formal; so why and how can we get a doc from us indicating this ? i get social security but even that is not technically any sort of 'retirement doc'; (people on SSC work all the time)

OR is all of this just another marginally logical thai requirement that our embassy just rubber stamps (and we have to pay a goodly amount for ?);

i can tell my embassy that i earn 10,000,000 baht/month in pensions and they will just smile , stamp and charge me

Apparently not anymore it seems, quite bizarrely, you are required to prove to the embassy that you are retired, how I 

don't know? it has been posted that it is the embassy that is making this a requirement. 

I may be wrong but that is how have read it.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

4 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Apparently not anymore it seems, quite bizarrely, you are required to prove to the embassy that you are retired, how I 

don't know? it has been posted that it is the embassy that is making this a requirement. 

ok thanks; i will contact mine and ask for clarification; will post for the USA folks