One killed and 29 primary school children injured when lightening strike hits tree

One killed and 29 primary school children injured when lightening strike hits tree

By The Nation

a3979a8f1bf53e41d156cc96fb91de0e-sld.jpeg

One killed and twenty nine primary school children of Ban Mae Klong Yai School in Tak's Umphang district injured when a lightening strike hit a large tree they were sheltering under during heavy rain on Tuesday.

The incident took place within the school's compound at 3pm and the students were rushed to Umphang Hospital. 

Umphang district chief Pratheep Phothiam visited the wounded pupils most of whom suffered numbness and temporary deafness.

The school is under the supervision of the Border Patrol Police Command 34 in Tak province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316093

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-23

13 minutes ago, poohy said:

I am pretty sure I was told as a kid you should never stand under trees in a thunderstorm! 

My Grandmother would always retreat to a cupboard under the stairs, taking a book, bottle of whiskey and a packet of fags. 

These poor kids were very unlucky but such events are more frequent than the commonly used phrase suggests.

Once again lack of common sense, education and duty of care. Under a tree during a thunderstorm? Maybe the Junta will have to come out with a public education announcement. DON'T SIT UNDER TREES WHEN THERE'S LIGHTNING ABOUT. Lucky more were't killed. Where were the teachers? 

I guess the school kids "supervisory staff" don't understand about lightning strikes, sadly. Some adults need to learn lessons also!

RIP little one and I hope all the others recovery fully and quickly.

16 hours ago, Prbkk said:

My Grandmother would always retreat to a cupboard under the stairs, taking a book, bottle of whiskey and a packet of fags. 

These poor kids were very unlucky but such events are more frequent than the commonly used phrase suggests.

I think it was last year that 3 men were killed in Rayong sitting in one of those shelters in a fishing park. Even a lot of people in the western world don't understand the danger of thunderstorms like golfers being struck by lightning even though the sky is clear as lightning can strike up to about 10 miles from a thunderstorm. Also don't shelter in a building with tin sheet roof if it isn't earthed as the interior can charge up like a capacitor until it discharges to ground through you.

ps I bet there were a lot of other reasons your grandmother found to shelter under the stairs ........

3 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

The lack of common sense/knowledge in this country is overwhelming sometimes.

In 2008, 2 Aussie men (a teacher and an assistant) along with 3 Thai students were killed by a lightening strike in a national park in Mukhdahan: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-09-28/second-man-dies-after-thailand-lightning-strike/524430 

18 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

In 2008, 2 Aussie men (a teacher and an assistant) along with 3 Thai students were killed by a lightening strike in a national park in Mukhdahan: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-09-28/second-man-dies-after-thailand-lightning-strike/524430 

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not targeting Thailand and i realise these things happen everywhere. We could at least reduce the risk by a little more education at schools.

6 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

The lack of common sense/knowledge in this country is overwhelming sometimes

along with basic anatomy and ability to assess the food you eat, schools here fail at math and do not teach the above (No, parents here do not either)

3 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Beware the Thai-bashing police, they're forever hovering and never sleep.

I'll go further and say that for some reason Thai adults have no more common sense than the kids they're supposed to be looking after.

RIP the little one that died and hope the others recover ok.

Having trees close to any building is not a good idea as trees are very good attractors for lightning strikes.

I have seen many trees that have been struck and split apart by lightning, all that sap and moisture in the tree trunk

is a great conductor.