Taiwan court rules in favour of same-sex marriage

webfact

Taiwan court rules in favour of same-sex marriage

REUTERS

r6.jpg

Supporters take part in a rally ahead of Taiwan's top court ruling on same-sex marriage case which will decide whether it will become the first place in Asia to recognise same-sex marriage, in Taipei, Taiwan May 24, 2017. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's constitutional court ruled on Wednesday that same-sex couples have the right to legally marry, the first such ruling in Asia.

The court, known as the Judicial Yuan, said current marriage laws violate the constitutional rights of same-sex couples and it gave a period of two years for laws to be amended to allow same-sex marriage.

(Reporting by J.R. Wu; Editing by Robert Birsel)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-24

Another country has fallen to the hand of the liberals.

I hope Taiwanese people will take good care of their children, because very soon, it'll be a thing of the past.

Normal people marry for the principle of following the tradition and founding a family.

Gay people marry just to say "we have the right", because a gay marriage is 100% sterile and is only used for ideological purposes.

A very sad day indeed - but I hope the people won't give up, and will protect family rights as much as possible.

Do away with government regulated marriage all together. It's a silly religious concept that should

only be entertained  amongst believers. 

That said, well done, Taiwan. Always opt for inclusiveness. 

Ward and June are going the way of the dinosaur.

13 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Another country has fallen to the hand of the liberals.

I hope Taiwanese people will take good care of their children, because very soon, it'll be a thing of the past.

Normal people marry for the principle of following the tradition and founding a family.

Gay people marry just to say "we have the right", because a gay marriage is 100% sterile and is only used for ideological purposes.

A very sad day indeed - but I hope the people won't give up, and will protect family rights as much as possible.

First off, being gay is not a liberal or conservative issue. It is a human trait in some people.  Your inference that gay people are not "normal" is an outdated concept and only shows your ignorance with real life. Insinuating that gay people are child predators is just delusional on your part.  With your thinking, only people who desire to have children should get married.  There are lots of straight couples who get married who have no desire to bring up children so I guess they should not be getting married.  While, for numerous reasons, I think gay marriage is fraught with many issues, I support those that for their own reasons want to form a partnership.  In my mind, marriage (or holy matrimony as many define it) for the most part is an outdated concept (1)  because everyone seems to cheat on their partner, (2) divorce rate is incredibly high, and (3) it should not be a governmental function.  Couples gay or straight should just register their partnership which a government office, which is the way it is done in many countries, and thereby be granted certain legal and contractual obligations. "Marriage" is for people who want to have a special ceremony with their friends and should have no contractual obligations.   It's a great day for Taiwan and Asia. 

Edited by Trouble

2 hours ago, Trouble said:

First off, being gay is not a liberal or conservative issue. It is a human trait in some people.  Your inference that gay people are not "normal" is an outdated concept and only shows your ignorance with real life. Insinuating that gay people are child predators is just delusional on your part.  With your thinking, only people who desire to have children should get married.  There are lots of straight couples who get married who have no desire to bring up children so I guess they should not be getting married.  While, for numerous reasons, I think gay marriage is fraught with many issues, I support those that for their own reasons want to form a partnership.  In my mind, marriage (or holy matrimony as many define it) for the most part is an outdated concept (1)  because everyone seems to cheat on their partner, (2) divorce rate is incredibly high, and (3) it should not be a governmental function.  Couples gay or straight should just register their partnership which a government office, which is the way it is done in many countries, and thereby be granted certain legal and contractual obligations. "Marriage" is for people who want to have a special ceremony with their friends and should have no contractual obligations.   It's a great day for Taiwan and Asia. 

I agree with you on the part "should just register their partnership". IMO, marriage should be celebrated (and only for straight people, although you might want to allow gays to "co-habit" without making any special ceremony) and not regulated by government. Which means, you pick a wife, you register your partnership, she changes her last name (if she wants), make a ceremony, and voilà. In case of divorce, simply "de-register" the relationship. The government shouldn't have a third pillow in your bed - which means, no alimony, no separation of assets, forced 50/50 custody of kids. Marriage certificates will be used solely as evidence, and government will have no say in who does what.

In short: allow marriage, but do not have a leg in the couple's bed.

17 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Well done Taiwan - leading the way in Asia. Thailand next? Wouldn't that be rather wonderful?!

Not that I got a dog in this fight...

LOS is definitely a candidate, maybe post-junta. I'll bet Japan goes before Thailand.

Good job Taiwan  .......  shows the country is moving ahead into the 21st century ...

As I have always said .....   people should learn to mind their own business and affairs ....  what business is it of anyone's who likes who and who wants to live their life with whoever ?