Manchester suicide bomber likely did not act alone, Britain says

Jonathan Fairfield

Manchester suicide bomber likely did not act alone, Britain says

By Michael Holden and Andy Bruce

2017-05-24T071551Z_1_LYNXMPED4N0FM_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

A man looks at flowers for the victims of the Manchester Arena attack in central Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017. 

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - The suicide bomber who killed 22 people including children in Manchester likely did not act alone, Britain's interior minister said on Wednesday as soldiers were being deployed to key sites to help prevent further attacks.

The official threat level was raised late on Tuesday to its highest level, "critical", meaning an attack is expected imminently.

Police have named British-born Salman Abedi, 22, as the perpetrator of the bombing at the Manchester Arena indoor venue at the end of a concert by U.S. pop singer Ariana Grande on Monday, attended by thousands of children and teenagers.

"It seems likely, possible, that he wasn't doing this on his own," interior minister Amber Rudd told BBC radio.

Rudd also said Abedi had been known to security services before the bombing.

She said up to 3,800 soldiers would be deployed on Britain's streets, freeing up police officers to carry out patrols and investigatory work.

The identities of the victims were becoming known little by little. They included an eight-year-old girl, two teenage girls and a 28-year-old man. A Polish couple who had come to collect their daughters after the concert also died, Poland's foreign minister said. The daughters were safe.

The bombing also left more than 60 people wounded, some with life-threatening injuries.

"We are now treating 64 individuals ... of those approximately 20 are receiving critical care, that means very urgent care," Jon Rouse, chief officer for health and social care services in the Greater Manchester area, told Sky News.

"There is damage to major organs, major injuries in terms of limbs and some of these individuals are going to need very long term care and support. These are highly traumatic injuries."

The Manchester attack was the deadliest in Britain since July 2005, when four British Muslim suicide bombers killed 52 people in coordinated attacks on London's transport network.

U.S. security sources, citing British intelligence officials, said Abedi was born in Manchester in 1994 to parents of Libyan origin.

Rudd told the BBC she believed Abedi had recently returned from Libya, and French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said British investigators had told French authorities Abedi had probably travelled to Syria as well.

WASHINGTON REBUKED OVER LEAKS

As Collomb was speaking in France, Rudd was asked by the BBC about the fact that lots of information about Abedi, including his name, had come out from the United States and whether she would look again at information sharing with other countries.

"Yes, quite frankly. I mean the British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise, so it is irritating if it gets released from other sources and I have been very clear with our friends that should not happen again."

Asked whether the U.S. leaks had compromised the investigation, she said: "I wouldn't go that far but I can say that they are perfectly clear about the situation and that it shouldn't happen again."

Prime Minister Theresa May said on Tuesday it was possible a wider group was linked to the bombing, prompting the deployment of troops a little more than two weeks before a June 8 national election.

An independent body which sets the threat level recommended it be raised to "critical" from "severe" for the first time since June 2007.

"This means that their assessment is not only that an attack remains highly likely but that a further attack may be imminent," May said in a televised statement from her Downing Street Office.

"Armed police officers responsible for duties such as guarding key sites will be replaced by members of the armed forces ... You might also see military personnel deployed at certain events, such as concerts and sports matches."

Attacks in cities including Paris, Nice, Brussels, St Petersburg, Berlin and London have shocked Europeans already anxious over security challenges from mass immigration and pockets of domestic Islamic radicalism.

Islamic State, now being driven from territories in Syria and Iraq by Western-backed armed forces, claimed responsibility for the Manchester attack, but there appeared to be contradictions in its account of the operation.

The militant group has repeatedly called for attacks on Western countries as retaliation for their involvement in the conflicts in Syria and Iraq.

(Additional reporting by Costas Pitas and Kate Holton in London; Writing by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-24

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

As Collomb was speaking in France, Rudd was asked by the BBC about the fact that lots of information about Abedi, including his name, had come out from the United States and whether she would look again at information sharing with other countries.

"Yes, quite frankly. I mean the British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise, so it is irritating if it gets released from other sources and I have been very clear with our friends that should not happen again."

Hmm, this kind of thing following Trumps major indiscretions with intelligence will test the future full co-operation of FVEY. 

Three men arrested in Manchester bomb investigation, UK police say

2017-05-24T095558Z_1_LYNXMPED4N0PI_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - Three men have been arrested in Manchester on Wednesday in an investigation into the suicide bomb attack which killed 22 people at a music concert in the northern English city on Monday night, police in the city said.

"Three police warrants were executed in south Manchester in connection to the ongoing investigation," a spokeswoman for Greater Manchester Police said.

(Reporting by Kate Holton, writing by Alistair Smout, editing by David Milliken)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-24

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I'm curious about what evidence was found, and how it was pursued.  In other words, the nuts and bolts of the investigation.   If anyone has insight on that, please share it here.  Thanks.

They have the residue from the explosive material.They can back engineer the chemical, then they will know how it was made and even maybe which bomber  made it.

Thanks to the US (being condemned by the UK Gov) spilling the beans instead of the UK doing the job correctly, we have probably lost some of the people we might have got.....way to go! :coffee1:

50 minutes ago, Caps said:

Thanks to the US (being condemned by the UK Gov) spilling the beans instead of the UK doing the job correctly, we have probably lost some of the people we might have got.....way to go! :coffee1:

Would that be this government? :

US leak of Manchester attacker's name strikes new blow to intelligence sharing

"Salman Abedi was identified in media reports that attributed “US officials” as the source even as their British counterparts remained tight-lipped."

"The disclosures renewed concerns over leaks from Donald Trump’s administration two weeks after the US president revealed classified information, apparently from Israel, to Russia’s foreign minister in a White House meeting."

"Critics warn that US allies may be less willing to share intelligence in the future."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/23/trump-administration-manchester-bomber-name-leak

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I'm curious about what evidence was found, and how it was pursued.  In other words, the nuts and bolts of the investigation.   If anyone has insight on that, please share it here.  Thanks.

Its classified. I mean, we know hes guilty but cant tell you why. 

10 minutes ago, iReason said:

Would that be this government? :

US leak of Manchester attacker's name strikes new blow to intelligence sharing

"Salman Abedi was identified in media reports that attributed “US officials” as the source even as their British counterparts remained tight-lipped."

"The disclosures renewed concerns over leaks from Donald Trump’s administration two weeks after the US president revealed classified information, apparently from Israel, to Russia’s foreign minister in a White House meeting."

"Critics warn that US allies may be less willing to share intelligence in the future."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/23/trump-administration-manchester-bomber-name-leak

...as I said, way to go! 

Edited by Caps

11 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

From media reports it seems UK Police are focusing on a core group of Libyans living in Manchester who are alleged to have links to a banned Libyan Islamist group. Some of the Manchester based Libyans are known to have travelled  to join ISIS in the M.E.

The killer's father has now been arrested in Libya, along with another of his sons who it is claimed was planning a terror attack in Tripoli, have to wait and see if they are actually charged.

Edited by simple1

9 hours ago, iReason said:

You can thank the inept fool in charge.

:coffee1:

Yes I suppose we can, the UK government were a fool to think they good trust the yanks with intel, hope we have learned our lesson.  I suppose lead by Trump act like Trump 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

the British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise, so it is irritating if it gets released from other sources and I have been very clear with our friends that should not happen again."

Yet it apparently has.

15 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Well- it depends where you live- in a tourist area pop down the local bar - chat to those having their third beer this morning- there is always one ex special agent who fill you in with the details. You can always recognise them- they have an ear piece with a curly wire.

To be honest your best bet is the BBC news feed- they have live updates -and all the latest info- don't think any members would have more information ( apart from mentioned above) 

The whole country should 'now' be treated as a crime scene. There must be a radical change in law enforcement and society to weed out anyone that is not aligned to the principles of an open and just society. PC brigade should be silenced, and those which refuse to assimilate must be detained, questioned, then deported. If we do not act in this way, then expect more of the same. 

13 hours ago, Caps said:

I was watching BBC news on the TV and so learned that American sources said it was a suicide bomber.

Not sure how this knowledge being made public would hamper the UK police/result in others involved escaping - unless, of course any others involved had assumed this would never be known and so hadn't already prepared for this information being 'discovered'.....

I wasn't watching when the killer was named by US sources (I gather the terrorist had identifying papers on him???) - but think its safe to assume that others involved knew this would happen and had planned accordingly :saai:.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I was watching BBC news on the TV and so learned that American sources said it was a suicide bomber.

Not sure how this knowledge being made public would hamper the UK police/result in others involved escaping - unless, of course any others involved had assumed this would never be known and so hadn't already prepared for this information being 'discovered'.....

I wasn't watching when the killer was named by US sources (I gather the terrorist had identifying papers on him???) - but think its safe to assume that others involved knew this would happen and had planned accordingly :saai:.

Possibly so but the point is, when the sharing of intel is leaked by the people you are sharing it with then its time to re-evaluate what you share and when you share it. 

4 minutes ago, Caps said:

Possibly so but the point is, when the sharing of intel is leaked by the people you are sharing it with then its time to re-evaluate what you share and when you share it. 

In this case, I can see no reason to believe the information from the US could be at all detrimental to the investigation.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

In this case, I can see no reason to believe the information from the US could be at all detrimental to the investigation.

That maybe so...we will never know now...my point still stands...they should have kept their mouths shut.  Maybe leaking the info prompted the Security Service to act a lot quicker than they had wanted to.  Therefore not closing the full net

No matter how you butter it up, it should not have happened.

Just now, Caps said:

That maybe so...we will never know now...my point still stands...they should have kept their mouths shut.  Maybe leaking the info prompted the Security Service to act a lot quicker than they had wanted to.  Therefore not closing the full net

No matter how you butter it up, it should not have happened.

I'm not trying to 'butter up' anything!

Just pointing out that there is unlikely to be a good reason for withholding this information - other than the normal authorities response of 'this information is privileged, and so should be confined to us important people for a while to make us feel important'!

But of course its always possible that others involved in this atrocity had assumed that it would take a while for the police to discover that it was a suicide bomber and his identity - and so felt safe taking their time to escape....

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

I'm not trying to 'butter up' anything!

Just pointing out that there is unlikely to be a good reason for withholding this information - other than the normal authorities response of 'this information is privileged, and so should be confined to us important people for a while to make us feel important'!

But of course its always possible that others involved in this atrocity had assumed that it would take a while for the police to discover that it was a suicide bomber and his identity - and so felt safe taking their time to escape....

Whatever excuse, or whatever may or may not have happened due to this leak my point still stands, intel shared in good faith should not be leaked.  That is the only point I am making

Just now, Caps said:

Whatever excuse, or whatever may or may not have happened due to this leak my point still stands, intel shared in good faith should not be leaked.  That is the only point I am making

At the end of the day it boils down to those that believe the authorities should be as open and honest as possible, and those that believe any 'leaking' of 'secrets' (regardless of whether those 'secrets' are in the public interest) should never be allowed as they are against 'national security' or some other reason that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

At the end of the day it boils down to those that believe the authorities should be as open and honest as possible, and those that believe any 'leaking' of 'secrets' (regardless of whether those 'secrets' are in the public interest) should never be allowed as they are against 'national security' or some other reason that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

I am getting bored of batting this about, if you think its acceptable thats great for you, I don't and find it a breach of trust and yes Security in an on going investigation should come first.

Enjoy the rest of your day  

Just now, Caps said:

I am getting bored of batting this about, if you think its acceptable thats great for you, I don't and find it a breach of trust and yes Security in an on going investigation should come first.

Enjoy the rest of your day  

I understand - you are bored of responding to arguments against your POV.

This isn't a criticism as I feel the same way every now and again - depending on my mood.

Nonetheless, I could have done without the dismissive "Enjoy the rest of your day" when you hadn't come up with an argument against any of the points raised :laugh:.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

I understand - you are bored of responding to arguments against your POV.

This isn't a criticism as I feel the same way every now and again - depending on my mood.

Nonetheless, I could have done without the dismissive "Enjoy the rest of your day" when you hadn't come up with an argument against any of the points raised :laugh:.

I don't need an argument against the points raised and IF you think that the US opening their  trap with intel given in trust  during an on going investigation to hopefully stop more atrocities is acceptable,  then good for you 

"We must all come together. Hope, not hate. Nothing to do with Islam. Nothing to do with Muslims. Just a rogue individual, possibly in the employ of some mysterious foreign agency. Just terrorism, bad people. Unaligned wickedness. Nothing to do with religion. We must all come together. And show love. And solidarity. Hope not hate.

Je Suis Ariana Grande. Already viciousness is being expressed on social media sites. People jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Horrible, horrible, people – no better than the murderer. Who might just as easily have been a Methodist. Remember Jo Cox? That wasn’t them, was it? There, you see.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1495697393885312415.4828004158
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

So we should come together. Hope not hate. Nothing to do with immigration. Nothing to do with Islam. Nothing to do with Muslims. Just horridness of no discernible provenance. Hope not hate"

R.Liddle