documents for childs british passport application

Hi,

I could not find specific information I'm looking for and would appreciate input from someone who knows. I'm a British citizen by birth, married to a Thai for over 15 years, we have 2 children (10yrs and 3yrs) and would like to apply for British passports for the kids. My questions are 1) Do I have to include mothers and childrens 'tabien baan' in the application? and 2) Do the translated documents need to be MFA verified? Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that your wouldn't need a copy of your wife's Tabien Baan as it's not an identity document per se.

Translations only need to be verified by the translators details, the MFA only become involved when it's a transaltion into Thai, though I believe some picky Visa issuers may ask for it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

One thing that you must make sure that you have is your FULL birth certificate, that is the long version with all of the details on it, when I applied for both of my sons British Passports this was a must and I only had the short version available here and had to apply for the full version via Liverpool.

Thanks oldgit, that link is helpful.

yes Matt it's the long version.

I got my initial list about needing mothers tabien ban and other documents which seem like an overkill from an agents website. the link oldgit provided makes clear exactly whats, needed/accepted. I will do the application myself.

I've now narrowed down what i think I actually need.

1. Kids birth cert (translated to English)

2. My birth cert. (long version)

3. Wife's birth cert (translated to English)

3. Marriage cert (already in English)

4. My passport

5. Wife's passport.

6. Tabien baan which shows my address as well as the kids. (translated to English/ needed for address purpose)

7. Signed statement from wife that she is using her maiden name.

8. Wife's first name change document which she did many moons ago before we met. (translated to English)

9. Passport photo's of the kids that are signed as per rules.

I plan to prepare and bring all the above along  to VFS for application. Do i need to make colour copies of every document? Do I need to make copies of every page of mine and wife's passport for this application? Can i make and submit copies of every document? I obviously don't want to give the originals.

5 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

5. Wife's passport.

You could provide the above just to be on the safe side, however they really should not be needed, as presumably, your children were born after 1st July 2006, so marriage certificate and the signed statement should be not needed as they do not apply, as per table C in the guidance document and you will have to provide the mothers birth certificate, so her passport is irrelevant, you could provide a copy of her ID card.

The Copy's of your passport and your Wife's passport need to be Colour Photocopy's of every page (unless this has changed in the past 3 years). 

This what I used for my Son's passport, born in 2013. Applied for Passport in 2013.

1. Childs birth cert (translated to English and certified by *MFA - With Mother and Fathers name)

2. My birth cert. (Full / Long version)

3. Marriage cert (Translated into English and certified by *MFA)

4. My passport (Colour Photo Copy of Every page)

5. *Wife's ID Card (actual Card, which the Consulate Photocopied directly and then returned). 

6. Passport photo of our Son. True likeness signed by a 'professional' (Doctor or lawyer etc)

*MFA translation may not have been required but we already had these for other purposes. 

*I used my Wife's ID instead of a Colour Photocopy of every page of her passport.

Edited by richard_smith237

17 minutes ago, Mattd said:

5. Wife's passport.

You could provide the above just to be on the safe side, however they really should not be needed, as presumably, your children were born after 1st July 2006, so marriage certificate and the signed statement should be not needed as they do not apply, as per table C in the guidance document and you will have to provide the mothers birth certificate, so her passport is irrelevant, you could provide a copy of her ID card.

Yes, they were born after the mentioned date. So as per table C you're right, no need for marriage cert.

Ok, might give wife's id instead of passport for id purpose. And after re-reading table D, the maiden name bit only applies if you're going back to it. Actually i guess it does not apply to her in any case as she is not the applicant or the British parent. 

edited. i will bring in the marriage cert just n case.

Edited by bkkexplorer

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Copy's of your passport and your Wife's passport need to be Colour Photocopy's of every page (unless this has changed in the past 3 years). 

This what I used for my Son's passport, born in 2013. Applied for Passport in 2013.

1. Childs birth cert (translated to English and certified by *MFA - With Mother and Fathers name)

2. My birth cert. (Full / Long version)

3. Marriage cert (Translated into English and certified by *MFA)

4. My passport (Colour Photo Copy of Every page)

5. *Wife's ID Card (actual Card, which the Consulate Photocopied directly and then returned). 

6. Passport photo's of the kids. True likeness signed by a 'professional' (Doctor or lawyer etc)

*MFA translation may not have been required but we already had these for other purposes. 

*I used my Wife's ID instead of a Colour Photocopy of every page of her passport.

Thanks Richard, From your list i see no documents stating the address. Did your wife need to be present when they made a photocopy? Did you have to give the originals? Were the documents returned?

Edited by bkkexplorer

Brought my kids birth cert and their tabien baan to Chaeng Wattana to be translated. It's in the same building where Thai's get their passports. All went smoothly, 200bht for the tabbies ban and 300 for birth cert translations. Easy and quick, they will EMS the documents to me tomorrow. Thanks for the inputs.

At the same time I needed to get my passport translated to Thai as I have to add my name in the tabien baan for reasons of renewing my recently expired Thai drivers license. I was told by the MFA that I need to go to the british embassy to get a certified copy of my passport and then go back to Chaeng wattana for the translation with MFA approval. I'd like to know if anyone has made a certified copy of their passport another way as the british certified copy is way overpriced. Or if anyone had their name added into the tabien baan without going to the british embassy. thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

Brought my kids birth cert and their tabien baan to Chaeng Wattana to be translated. It's in the same building where Thai's get their passports. All went smoothly, 200bht for the tabbies ban and 300 for birth cert translations. Easy and quick, they will EMS the documents to me tomorrow. Thanks for the inputs.

At the same time I needed to get my passport translated to Thai as I have to add my name in the tabien baan for reasons of renewing my recently expired Thai drivers license. I was told by the MFA that I need to go to the british embassy to get a certified copy of my passport and then go back to Chaeng wattana for the translation with MFA approval. I'd like to know if anyone has made a certified copy of their passport another way as the british certified copy is way overpriced. Or if anyone had their name added into the tabien baan without going to the british embassy. thanks in advance.

I created another post about the certified passport question, no need to answer the above, link below..

In section 3 of the 0S/01/02 application form it asks it the applicant has had any passport before. In the case of thai nationals who have, does this declaration go again any dual national laws or make a difference to the application? More specifically, if my kid has a thai passport, how does having it make a difference to either nationality. I believe UK allows dual nationality but not so sure about the Thai side.

Edited by bkkexplorer
more detail

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My wife doesn't have a birth certificate so I just enclosed a copy of her Lao passport and ID card.

I was also told to enclose a colour copy of the ID page of the passport of the person counter-signing my kid's photo.

Was that sufficient?

Anyways, she has the tattered piece of paper so called a birth certificate and I surprisingly had it translated given the condition. And also have to give another document as she changed her name ages ago (had to get that translated as well).  If I had known just the id and passport is enough, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

34 minutes ago, bkkexplorer said:

In section 3 of the 0S/01/02 application form it asks it the applicant has had any passport before. In the case of thai nationals who have, does this declaration go again any dual national laws or make a difference to the application? More specifically, if my kid has a thai passport, how does having it make a difference to either nationality. I believe UK allows dual nationality but not so sure about the Thai side.

On closer inspection of section 3 I think it only applies british passports and not that of other countries. I say that as it only asks for a passport number and no other information.

Was that sufficient?

Anyways, she has the tattered piece of paper so called a birth certificate and I surprisingly had it translated given the condition. And also have to give another document as she changed her name ages ago (had to get that translated as well).  If I had known just the id and passport is enough, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

It was sufficient for my son's passport. It could have been because they're aware that Laotians aren't always issued birth certificates; so it could be different for Thai mothers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2017 at 1:13 PM, bkkexplorer said:

Having a foreign passport is allegedly not relevant in general.  However, dual nationals hold British nationality at the Home Secretary's pleasure (tightly constrained by the courts), and in some places are prohibited from access to information supplied by the US.  It can also difficult for those with a foreign passport to change their name, e.g. to adopt a husband's surname.  The change may have to ripple through the nationalities in a specific order.

• 4 months later...

hello im looking for the same info if anyone can help ..i see one of the OP said  the info he gave was back in 2013  seeing as we are almost 2018 does anyone know exactly what i would require to get a passport for my son ..he was born this september here in Thailand im a British citizen my wife is Thai   i only live here 5 months of the year for the moment in Phetchabun my wife has a house i do own a property in on the coast if address needed   so can anyone tell me what docs and where to apply  thanks 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

so can anyone tell me what docs and where to apply  thanks 

You can see the list of documents needed to apply here: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

Guidance is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564880/OS_Guidance_Notes_10.16.pdf

Application is made at The Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumbvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110

Note that you will have to make an appointment first.

Edited by Mattd

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

You can see the list of documents needed to apply here: 

Guidance is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564880/OS_Guidance_Notes_10.16.pdf

Application is made at The Trendy Office Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumbvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110

Note that you will have to make an appointment first.

thanks mate ..

I had my sons british passport made in late 2015 and I submitted the following:

Application form, payment form. 

2 pics, 1 counter signed as per rules. 

colour copies of the following: 

my passport every page (british).

full English birth cert

driving licence, both sides (uk)

a letter in my name for my uk address. 

wifes id card both sides plus a translation

wifes birth cert plus a translation

wife and sons pages from tabian baan plus translations for both

sons birth cert plus translation

grandparents id pages from their passports

grandparents marriage cert

grandmothers natrualisation cert

grandfathers claim to british nationality which was paperwork  from the 1920s (his fathers) in poor shape but they still wanted it. 

a signed letter from my sons mothers giving him permission to be issued with a british passport. luckily they let me scan this and email them rather than making another trip to Bangkok to submit it. I would advise everyone to do this as this was not mentioned in the notes or guidance but I was still asked for it. 

I had my wifes passport made and got married to her whilst my sons application was in process and didn't bother submitting the info and it made no difference anyway. I later made my sons thai passport with no issues. 

hope this helps. If you guys know of anything I might have missed in that listed please let us all know as I plan on going and getting my daughters british passport made soon. 

thanks

I got my son's UK passport in December 2015, applying in Bangkok. I don't have a UK birth certificate as I was born in Africa but I have Registration certificate which was accepted. I didn't need any documents about my parents/grandparents. My son's mother is Laotian and doesn't have a birth certificate but they accepted a copy of her passport, Lao ID card and housebook. I also provided a copy of the passport ID page of the person who certified my son's photos. And obviously, my son's Thai birth certificate and translation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 1:02 PM, Jay2013 said:

Just for anybody whos intrested, i submitted my daughters application with the above mentioned documents on the 11 of dec and recieved her passport bk yesterday, a 10 day turn around. Estatic and very happy this time compared to the last.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

hello mate did you do this your self or did you do it thru a company..

15 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

Myself mate, dont pay a company they are rip offs, its pretty easy as long as your paperwork is in order, i think i spent about 30 mins in total at the trendy building to submit and collect.

if you dont mind mate can i ask you a few   is my case similar to yours  my son born here ..my wife Thai   i have been told that i have to get someone to countersign photos  do they need to be British or can a Thai national sign my wifes boss is head of one of the government centres here and said would be willing to do this ..as far as address my sons birth certificate registers him at the house here her parents but my address is in Jomtien does my wife have to have any paperwork translated into English   i imagine my sons birth certificate and our marriage would anything else be required ..any help you can give would be appreciated .. i was going to use the company for simplicity and not having to travel from here in Phetchabun to BKK twice  idi do all the stuff myself paperwork ect for the marriage i suppose this i could do with the right paperwork  tks   

5 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

i have been told that i have to get someone to countersign photos  do they need to be British or can a Thai national sign my wifes boss is head of one of the government centres here and said would be willing to do this ..

It needs to be someone who can confirm that the Child is whom he claims to be , someone professional .

I used my mate whos a solicitor uk citizen, i cant answer if you can use a thai citizen or not. You can call the passport advice line but its a uk number and you have to wait for ages. Anything that is thai has to be translated. I posted previously of the paperwork i submitted mate have a read.