documents for childs british passport application

19 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

I used my mate whos a solicitor uk citizen, i cant answer if you can use a thai citizen or not. You can call the passport advice line but its a uk number and you have to wait for ages. Anything that is thai has to be translated. I posted previously of the paperwork i submitted mate have a read.

I did go into a solicitors office in Thailand , showed them my Son, showed them the photo and they agreed that it was the same person , counter signed the application , stamped it with their seal and didnt charge me anything for doing so

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It needs to be someone who can confirm that the Child is whom he claims to be , someone professional .

yes thanks mate he is only 3 months old   so no can say they have known  him long eh  ha .. i will go with the option of my wifes Boss thanks again for the help 

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I did go into a solicitors office in Thailand , showed them my Son, showed them the photo and they agreed that it was the same person , counter signed the application , stamped it with their seal and didnt charge me anything for doing so

thanks mate ..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I need help. I am totally confused as to what I should be applying for. I am British, born and bred. I have a son born in Thailand but not married to his mother. My son is 17 years old this month. I want to apply for a passport for him so we can go to the UK and Spain for holidays. My confusion is: Do I just apply for an adults passport or must I apply for citizenship or something first?

I have birth cert and I am still with his mother, just not married.

Appreciate any guidance. 

Hi all, I need help. I am totally confused as to what I should be applying for. I am British, born and bred. I have a son born in Thailand but not married to his mother. My son is 17 years old this month. I want to apply for a passport for him so we can go to the UK and Spain for holidays. My confusion is: Do I just apply for an adults passport or must I apply for citizenship or something first?
I have birth cert and I am still with his mother, just not married.

Appreciate any guidance. 

Just apply for his passport. No need to establish citizenship first. You will need your long-form birth certificate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Just apply for his passport. No need to establish citizenship first. You will need your long-form birth certificate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Can I ask you for a reference point for that response. I am also confused and it is great news if true....

i have a Thai friend whose daughter was born in 2003. She never married the British (not by descent) father. She now wants to get her daughter a British Passport but was told that, because her daughter was born before 2006 and she was not married to the father, she must first obtain citizenship.

Can I ask you for a reference point for that response. I am also confused and it is great news if true....

i have a Thai friend whose daughter was born in 2003. She never married the British (not by descent) father. She now wants to get her daughter a British Passport but was told that, because her daughter was born before 2006 and she was not married to the father, she must first obtain citizenship.

You have a point. My reference point was my own experience, as I got my son his UK passport despite not being married to his (Lao) mother. However he was born in 2015. I think you may be right about children born before 2006. Presumably the notes on the passport application form/website should make it clear.

I still believe there is no need to establish citizenship before applying for a passport. If the applicant is not British the passport will not be issued.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You have a point. My reference point was my own experience, as I got my son his UK passport despite not being married to his (Lao) mother. However he was born in 2015. I think you may be right about children born before 2006. Presumably the notes on the passport application form/website should make it clear.

I still believe there is no need to establish citizenship before applying for a passport. If the applicant is not British the passport will not be issued.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is is my problem, the GOV.UK site does not differentiate.

OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

OS_Guidance_Notes_10.16.pdf

Any child born to a British Father (otherwise by descent) prior to 1st July 2006 will not automatically get British Citizenship if the parents were not married as the child is considered illegitimate.

The OP needs to move on this quickly, as once the Child reaches the age of 18, then the process will become that much more difficult.

My first son was born out of marriage in 1999 and at that time we had to go to the British Embassy and swear an oath regarding his parentage, the application then went to the UK for approval by the home office, exact process is a bit hazy nowadays, though I do remember it took about 3 months and was not cheap!

This is a useful document to read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118568/legitimation-and-domicile.pdf

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 9:01 AM, Mattd said:

Any child born to a British Father (otherwise by descent) prior to 1st July 2006 will not automatically get British Citizenship if the parents were not married as the child is considered illegitimate.

The OP needs to move on this quickly, as once the Child reaches the age of 18, then the process will become that much more difficult.

My first son was born out of marriage in 1999 and at that time we had to go to the British Embassy and swear an oath regarding his parentage, the application then went to the UK for approval by the home office, exact process is a bit hazy nowadays, though I do remember it took about 3 months and was not cheap!

This is a useful document to read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118568/legitimation-and-domicile.pdf

Matt's,  Thank you,  I found this link very usefull.  Much appreciate it.