Bangkok roads flooded following heavy overnight rains

webfact

2 hours ago, Johnice said:

Point #2 People are walking in the middle of the road because the road has a curve and the middle is the highest point. Damn even Thais know that :passifier: LMAO

It is called the camber. It stops the water from lying in the middle of the road, and it starts to lie in the gutter.

The people were walking on the middle of the road as it is a bit shallower there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Hats off to the water engineers of the Netherlands. Every other country seems to struggle with water issues. Mother Nature is hard to predict or control. 

The average yearly rainfall in the Netherlands is 765mm.

Bangkok just received 156mm over night.. thats 20% of the Netherlands Yearly Rainfall in one night... 

Hats off the the Water Engineer of the Netherlands if they can handle the same.... In making a comparison with another city in order to tarnish Bangkok's response its only fair to compare like for like. In this case the levels of precipitation are worlds apart. 

Well, it has all to do with the driving skills and the vehicle understanding of some drivers. 

See those pretties in their SUVs not knowing what to do with all those switches and knobs explains, why certain lanes, albeit under water, could easily be passed when driving through the puddles of Bangkok slowly. 

7 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, it has all to do with the driving skills and the vehicle understanding of some drivers. 

See those pretties in their SUVs not knowing what to do with all those switches and knobs explains, why certain lanes, albeit under water, could easily be passed when driving through the puddles of Bangkok slowly. 

Given such a deluge its readily conceivable that submerged drain covers have been lifted.... 

...you did well but you only managed to bash just the pretty Thai girls in SUV's !!!.. 

I do have a question: What switches and knobs in an SUV help you navigate through flooded streets ?

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The average yearly rainfall in the Netherlands is 765mm.

Bangkok just received 156mm over night.. thats 20% of the Netherlands Yearly Rainfall in one night... 

Hats off the the Water Engineer of the Netherlands if they can handle the same.... In making a comparison with another city in order to tarnish Bangkok's response its only fair to compare like for like. In this case the levels of precipitation are worlds apart. 

they have many drains and canals in Holland and controlled by many sluice gates and locks not same in BKK

39 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Hats off to the water engineers of the Netherlands. Every other country seems to struggle with water issues. Mother Nature is hard to predict or control. 

because we have good engineers unlike Thailand

Edited by garbolino

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It is called the camber. It stops the water from lying in the middle of the road, and it starts to lie in the gutter.

The people were walking on the middle of the road as it is a bit shallower there.

you are correct my friend

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Who could have predicted a city 5 feet above sea level with 56 inches of rain a year would flood?

Maybe they could build canals throughout the city for people to get around? ?

there are canals but they just keep flooding!!!

3 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

Parts of Srinakharin Road still flooded at 3pm. Lucky it didn't keep raining or it would be a bigger mess. There is very little runoff with the water dropping about a foot all day.

In Srinakarin Road they haven´t removed the weed and garbage in the canal in the middle of the road this year. So what else can one expect.

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

You are joking right. You must have read the title of this thread and know it is about serious traffic problems. well if you did not know pedestrians are traffic too. There is flooding vehicle traffic is at a stand still. perhaps pedestrian foot paths cannot be used. At times like this people adapt. I think any where in the world it would be allowed to have pedestrian traffic on road between stopped vehicle traffic.Jaywalking is the least of peoples worries at times like this..

At least it would be safer to walk on flat tarmac.  The footpath under water would be too dangerous to walk on if you cant see it.  Bad enough when its dry

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

In Srinakarin Road they haven´t removed the weed and garbage in the canal in the middle of the road this year. So what else can one expect.

It really is filthy here. We need 8 people on the back of each pickup getting around with a trash trailer in tow cleaning the place up. There is no pride taken by locals in living clean.

Ok smart guys, I live in Chiang Mai which is about 280k above sea level and about 800k from Bangkok. That is really not a lot of slop, then live in Bangkok which is at sea level or lower do you really expect the water to drain very fast. TV brain trust figure it out.

Just now, Italian guy said:

It will also improve the air quality...

Really?  Bangkok air issues are made in Bangkok (factory and vehicles).  A dome would trap that and air would never get cleaned by rainfall.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Really?  Bangkok air issues are made in Bangkok (factory and vehicles).  A dome would trap that and air would never get cleaned by rainfall.

Seriously mate: do you know what IRONY is?

Why is this news?

In the over 40 yrs that I hang around here has it always been like this, every year.

News would be if after a few hours heavy rain downpour the roads would still be dry.

Now that would be something to talk about.

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

Ok smart guys, I live in Chiang Mai which is about 280k above sea level and about 800k from Bangkok. That is really not a lot of slop, then live in Bangkok which is at sea level or lower do you really expect the water to drain very fast. TV brain trust figure it out.

ok smart guy. are you 280 kilometers above sea level?

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Why is this news?

In the over 40 yrs that I hang around here has it always been like this, every year.

News would be if after a few hours heavy rain downpour the roads would still be dry.

Now that would be something to talk about.

Not aimed at you, and agree that heavy rain will always cause some water on roads, but this was very much an exceptional rainfall - the largest in such a short period for 26 years I believe.  And by early last night most canals were at or below normal water levels (most below sea level as more rain was expected).  Believe the people working to drain water did an outstanding job (and know at least one of them died doing so here in Latphao).  

I thought the Sukhumband had a solution to stop flooding in Bangkok by using long-tail boats on the Chaiprayah river and pumping the excess water to the sea with their propellers.

A plan where millions of bath were pumped in.

Why don't they use that plan again?

18 hours ago, garbolino said:

they have many drains and canals in Holland and controlled by many sluice gates and locks not same in BKK

Bangkok also has a network of canals and sluice gates. However, this is to protect Inner Bangkok from floodwaters from the north.

As I wrote in an earlier post: Netherlands rainfall is 765mm per year.

Bangkok received 156mm over night..

How would the Netherland fare if they received 20% of their yearly rainfall in a few hours?... I doubt any network of Canals and sluice gates could prevent flooding....

And, it can't, not in Holland anyway.... In 2016 Holland flooded with 47mm of rain in a day..  

http://nltimes.nl/2016/06/02/thunderstorms-cause-widespread-flooding-rain-expected

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/06/heavy-storms-over-holland-bring-flash-floods-tear-down-trees/

I think its unfair to criticize Thailand for flooding (this time), the sheer volume of precipitation in the early hours of Thursday morning would have flooded any city.