Procedure for visa extension stamp in New Passport

I have a new passport, the old full one,has one month left of a SETV  extension  stamped until 3rd of July.

Sometime in the next two to three weeks I expect to go via Mukdahan to Savannkhet for a B visa or another tourist visa at Vientianne.

In the mean time do I have to go to local immigration here in Issan to have the permission to stay extension stamp transferred to the new passport.

Or can I simply be stamped out at the border on the old cancelled passport either at Mukdahan or Nong Khai and enter Laos  and return to Thailand on the new passport.

Im hoping if the job and the B visa paperwork isnt ready or doesnt happen I can use the new passport for a couple more tourists visas without my previous visa history in the old passport being flagged.

Thanks for advice.

Edited by sapson

You don't need to go to the local immigration and get the stamp transferred. Just show both passports when you exit Thailand and they will transfer the stamp from the old passport to the new passport and stamp you out of Thailand using the new passport.

29 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don't need to go to the local immigration and get the stamp transferred. Just show both passports when you exit Thailand and they will transfer the stamp from the old passport to the new passport and stamp you out of Thailand using the new passport.

I Will be doing similar ( New Passport ) Now On FINAL Entry Multi Non "O " In OLD Passport(Visa ) Expires in August, But Going to Savanakhet to obtain New Multi Non " O "But Thought it was essential to have stamps transferred,So it will be O.K Not too go to Imm Office (Nong Khai ) & Just take both passports to Mukdahan with me....????

Edited by Nong Khai Man

1 hour ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Will be doing similar ( New Passport ) Now On FINAL Entry Multi Non "O " In OLD Passport(Visa ) Expires in August, But Going to Savanakhet to obtain New Multi Non " O "But Thought it was essential to have stamps transferred,So it will be O.K Not too go to Imm Office (Nong Khai ) & Just take both passports to Mukdahan with me....????

Yes, just show both passports on exit.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 9:39 PM, elviajero said:

Yes, just show both passports on exit.

What Happens IF The corners are cut off the OLD Passport,??? And Do I Just present BOTH Passports at the Border / Bridge or do I Need to go to the IO in Mukdahan....To have the stamps transferred ??

Edited by Nong Khai Man

2 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

What Happens IF The corners are cut off the OLD Passport,??? And Do I Just present BOTH Passports at the Border / Bridge or do I Need to go to the IO in Mukdahan....To have the stamps transferred ??

The corners being cut off will make no difference.

They will do it at. immigration at the bridge. They will transfer your current entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

Most immigration offices will not transfer your stamps unless you have an extension of stay. They would tell you to do it on departure from the country.

O.P.  

Not sure which Country you are from, but when the UK give you a new PP, they also give you a letter from them asking the Thai authorities to transfer the details from one PP to the other , make sure that you take that letter along (if you have been given it) , otherwise they wont do the transfer

On 5/27/2017 at 0:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

The corners being cut off will make no difference.

They will do it at. immigration at the bridge. They will transfer your current entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

Most immigration offices will not transfer your stamps unless you have an extension of stay. They would tell you to do it on departure from the country.

Thanks for that, Joe...

On 5/27/2017 at 1:08 PM, sanemax said:

O.P.  

Not sure which Country you are from, but when the UK give you a new PP, they also give you a letter from them asking the Thai authorities to transfer the details from one PP to the other , make sure that you take that letter along (if you have been given it) , otherwise they wont do the transfer

I Am from The U.K But I've NEVER Had any letter from the Embassy in the past, Unless it's changed since VFS Took over the procedure....

23 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I Am from The U.K But I've NEVER Had any letter from the Embassy in the past, Unless it's changed since VFS Took over the procedure....

It has changed , the Thai authorities now link new PPs to old ones

So to clarify either at Mukdahan or Nong Khai, you dont go to a separate office at the bridge?

Simply join the line of people and hand over both passports and an enter until stamp and an exit stamp is put in the new passport without any confusion delay or reason to get stressed.

So going to local immigration first can or cannot be done if you are on a tourist visa extension? and would like to have your new passport up to date now rather than waiting a couple of weeks until exit time and the remote chance of hassle at the border.

Edited by sapson

12 minutes ago, sapson said:

So to clarify either at Mukdahan or Nong Khai, you dont go to a separate office at the bridge?

Simply join the line of people and hand over both passports and an enter until stamp and an exit stamp is put in the new passport without any confusion delay or reason to get stressed.

So going to local immigration first can or cannot be done if you are on a tourist visa extension? and would like to have your new passport up to date now rather than waiting a couple of weeks until exit time and the remote chance of hassle at the border.

I recently did it at Nong Khai 

The procedure isnt done at the regular stamping out booths

They send you to the "special" guy that deals with overstays etc

You have to fill out numerous forms , photos, sign things, photo copies etc

The whole procedure took me about 45 minutes

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I recently did it at Nong Khai 

The procedure isnt done at the regular stamping out booths

They send you to the "special" guy that deals with overstays etc

You have to fill out numerous forms , photos, sign things, photo copies etc

The whole procedure took me about 45 minutes

Thanks for that, so if you have just traveled four or five hours on the bus knackered and want to get across the border with the minimum of fuss its much better to have got the enter until stamp transferred to the new passport done and dusted at your local immigration....... especially if you also want to get the Laos visa in the new passport in advance at a local consulate.

1 hour ago, sapson said:

Thanks for that, so if you have just traveled four or five hours on the bus knackered and want to get across the border with the minimum of fuss its much better to have got the enter until stamp transferred to the new passport done and dusted at your local immigration....... especially if you also want to get the Laos visa in the new passport in advance at a local consulate.

The enter until stamps is not the issue . The issue is exchanging the old PP for the new one , which can only be done at a border

45 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The enter until stamps is not the issue . The issue is exchanging the old PP for the new one , which can only be done at a border

Sure, but if local immigration transfer the enter until date stamp into the new passport you have then transferred from old to new and the exchange is completed or not? and you simply go to the border with the new passport and get stamped out.

But simple doesnt seem to be part of this process.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:08 PM, sanemax said:

O.P.  

I am from the UK, and never bothered using that form letter when getting the stamp transferred when exiting the country. It is possibly needed if getting a one-year extension transferred at an immigration office.

5 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But simple doesnt seem to be part of this process...........TIT !!!!

Indeed............an interesting debate, but I still dont know ?

Can I complete the stamp transfer and passport transfer totally,completely finished etc at local immigration or not?

Thus proceeding to the border at a later date with just one new passport and get stamped out without further Spanish inquisition procedures..........

I guess that is a tad optimistic!!

18 minutes ago, sapson said:

Can I complete the stamp transfer and passport transfer totally,completely finished etc at local immigration or not?

Yes if they will do it.

18 minutes ago, sapson said:

Thus proceeding to the border at a later date with just one new passport and get stamped out without further Spanish inquisition procedures..........

Yes

Once the stamp transfer is done at an immigration office you will longer need your old passport.

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes if they will do it.

Yes

Once the stamp transfer is done at an immigration office you will longer need your old passport.

Thanks Joe........ if they do it great, worth asking.

Otherwise its two passports for a few weeks one cancelled and a new one without a stamp.........and the potential for an extra hour at the border faffing about according to Sanemax aboves recent Nong khai experience.

17 minutes ago, sapson said:

Otherwise its two passports for a few weeks one cancelled and a new one without a stamp.........and the potential for an extra hour at the border faffing about according to Sanemax aboves recent Nong khai experience.

Not sure what he had when he was trying to do it at Nong Khai. It sounds like he had long term extension for it to take that long.

Just getting a 30 day extension and entry stamp transferred should not take that long.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what he had when he was trying to do it at Nong Khai. It sounds like he had long term extension for it to take that long.

Just getting a 30 day extension and entry stamp transferred should not take that long.

I just had a tourist visa , so no visa transfers or extensions needed to be transferred from one PP to the other .

I had to fill about five forms out and the info needed to be put onto their computer and all the forms needed to be to  photo-copied

The I.O had to keep walking over to the office to get forms and to do the photo copying and everything was done very slowly .

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, elviajero said:

New to me, I  get soon an new passport and  like to  transfer  the non immigrant O visa into my new passport, the  non o will expire on July 5th  I need also the non o  extended  where I can do that and  what documents  or proof ( of  anything)  do I need

15 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

New to me, I  get soon an new passport and  like to  transfer  the non immigrant O visa into my new passport, the  non o will expire on July 5th  I need also the non o  extended  where I can do that and  what documents  or proof ( of  anything)  do I need

If you are applying for a 1 year extension of stay you don't need to do anything with your passports now. Just take both passports with you to immigration when you apply for the extension. They will record the details of your non 'O' visa in the new passport when they issue the extension.

You apply for an extension at your local immigration office. You can apply 45 (maybe 30) days before July 5th. The documents you need vary depending on the reason for the extension. Are you applying for an extension based on marriage, or retirement or other?

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you are applying for a 1 year extension of stay you don't need to do anything with your passports now. Just take both passports with you to immigration when you apply for the extension. They will record the details of your non 'O' visa in the new passport when they issue the extension.

You apply for an extension at your local immigration office. You can apply 45 (maybe 30) days before July 5th. The documents you need vary depending on the reason for the extension. Are you applying for an extension based on marriage, or retirement or other?

I am applying for an extension of my Non Immigrant O visa based on retirement have  had such a  visa  since 2014 and  did  frequently my  90 days reports

I have applied  on May 22 for anew German Passport and it will take approx. 2 more  weeks  to get the new passport, my income letter from  the German embassy expired  yesterday and I will have to apply for  anew income letter from the  German Consulate in Chiang Mai  same  as the last  letter, the consul is out of  office since one  week and  returns  June  1st

10 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

I am applying for an extension of my Non Immigrant O visa based on retirement have  had such a  visa  since 2014 and  did  frequently my  90 days reports

I have applied  on May 22 for anew German Passport and it will take approx. 2 more  weeks  to get the new passport, my income letter from  the German embassy expired  yesterday and I will have to apply for  anew income letter from the  German Consulate in Chiang Mai  same  as the last  letter, the consul is out of  office since one  week and  returns  June  1st

Chiang Mai will let you renew your 1 year extension of stay within the last 45 days. You don't need to transfer your permit to stay (extension stamp) immediately after you get the new passport. Unless you want to make two trips to immigration you can apply for the extension anytime after you receive the new passport. They will make a note about the original non 'O' visa in your new passport, and issue a 1 year new permit to stay.

You extend your permission to stay not your visa. Your visa expired years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

Chiang Mai will let you renew your 1 year extension of stay within the last 45 days. You don't need to transfer your permit to stay (extension stamp) immediately after you get the new passport. Unless you want to make two trips to immigration you can apply for the extension anytime after you receive the new passport. They will make a note about the original non 'O' visa in your new passport, and issue a 1 year new permit to stay.

You extend your permission to stay not your visa. Your visa expired years ago.

But I am now in Bangkok staying with my 2 children as  I have split with my wife  in December 2016 the problem is  right now I have  still the Tabian Baan  book from the  maritial home in Chiang Rai its  still valid  I have checked and I and  my 2 children  also  are  still registered at that house, I  should go Back to Chiang Rai but don't wan,t the house is  empty, why should I travel all the way and then find out  that there is a problem with the house register,  tried to extend my non O here in Bangkok but they  said I must have a  house register in Bangkok to do that, I have contacted  already 2  visa  services, no problem just have to pay  20 000 baht and I am  at the moment a bit short of cash have to pay for the university fee and  admission fee for my sons university pls  advise,

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

can I apply for an extension of my Non immigration O visa  at any immigration office?

4 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

But I am now in Bangkok staying with my 2 children as  I have split with my wife  in December 2016 the problem is  right now I have  still the Tabian Baan  book from the  maritial home in Chiang Rai its  still valid  I have checked and I and  my 2 children  also  are  still registered at that house, I  should go Back to Chiang Rai but don't wan,t the house is  empty, why should I travel all the way and then find out  that there is a problem with the house register,  tried to extend my non O here in Bangkok but they  said I must have a  house register in Bangkok to do that, I have contacted  already 2  visa  services, no problem just have to pay  20 000 baht and I am  at the moment a bit short of cash have to pay for the university fee and  admission fee for my sons university pls  advise,

1 hour ago, kraxlhuber said:

can I apply for an extension of my Non immigration O visa  at any immigration office?

• You could get an extension of stay as a parent, but only with the support of your wife.
  • You have to apply for the extension at the office that covers the area you live in. If you give a Bangkok address, you can only apply in Bangkok. It doesn't matter where your children or wife are registered.
  • You would be applying for an extension of stay, not a visa. If you want a non 'O' visa you'll need to leave the country to get it.
  • If you don't have your wife's support to get an extension of stay you could go to Penang, Malaysia and get a multiple entry non 'O' visa as long as you can show at least 400K in the bank. That would be valid for 1 year, but you'd need to exit/re-enter every 90 days. You could apply for another 1 year extension towards the end of any of the 90 day permit to stay.