Taskforce targeting illegal wildlife trade online opens Facebook page

snoop1130

Taskforce targeting illegal wildlife trade online opens Facebook page

By The Nation

2899690a08dd79d870131d2346688f32-sld.jpeg

A new taskforce intended to tackle illegal wildlife smuggling and trade online has opened a Facebook page to invite the public to share information with the taskforce and post updates about its suppression of the trade.

The page, called Yiaw Dong, or the Wild Hawk, gained nearly 300 “likes” from Facebook users after its launch yesterday.

The taskforce, under the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation department, was recently set up following a crackdown on the illegal trade of endangered and protected animals online.

The taskforce has the authority to arrest wildlife poachers and traders under the wildlife conservation act and other related laws, including the international Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species.

The taskforce also inspected a house yesterday in the Sam Saern area following an alert and arrested the house owner who possessed at least 38 endangered birds without permission including a red-whiskered bulbul.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316327

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-25

"... including a red-whiskered bulbul."
I know at least 3 people in our little village who keep several red-whiskered bulbuls in cages each. One of them is the village head. And I'm sure they don't have a permission, most probably don't even know that they should have one.
However - I appreciate every action tackling wildlife trade and smuggling.