Thai Health Dept warns patients with 4 diseases against eating durians excessively

webfact

Health Department warns patients with 4 diseases against eating durians excessively

BANGKOK, 25 May 2017 (NNT) – Health Department Director General Dr. Wachira Phengchan said that durian is a fruit that provides vitamins and minerals and is a great source of carbohydrate, but patients with kidney disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary stenosis should be extra cautious for consuming too many durians as it could be harmful to their health. 

The patients with the mentioned diseases should not eat too many durians because the fruit contains a large amount of flour and sugar. Patients are advised not to eat more than serving of durian per day, since durian is rich in potassium and could complicate the health of patients with kidney disease, as the excess potassium could cause arrhythmia. 

It is important not to eat durian along with alcoholic beverages because it will cause the body to heat up and heighten the risk of death from dehydration and it could also increase the sugar levels in their blood. 

Despite its delicacy, Nutrition Bureau Director Dr. Naphaphan Wiriyautsahakul warned that the public should not eat desserts or rice and flour excessively, if durian is included in the meal.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-26

What about the durian flavoured Kit Kats that the dreamers at the Ministry Of Tourism were planning to use to bring tourists flocking to Thailand. 

Are they also unsafe to eat?

After 6 years smelling this fruit in home, I told to my girlfriend, she must to shoose... Durian or me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I should imagine after six years you will miss her?

About as uneducated as an story can get.....flour??? <deleted>, sugar? Everything is turned by the body into simple sugars so to be used in the body...

And being afraid of vitimans??? 

A total non article. He would do better just admit he hates the smell...

Good he doesn't have to eat it...I will

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

After 6 years smelling this fruit in home, I told to my girlfriend, she must to shoose... Durian or me.

Next question.

What did she choose?

Next question.
What did she choose?

Don't know yet, mate. I'm waiting patiently for the right answer 6 years ago. [emoji37] But anyway, Thailand have a extensive choices of exquisite fruits, all of them with many properties such as mangosteen, mango, papaya...which we consume every days.

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's the smell of durian!  I don't allow it in the house, or anywhere inside the front gate.

A few years ago, my wife and I were eating a buffet.  On the table next to us was a family of 6, plus a boy not older than 2.  The boy was a bit of a handful, and as usual in Thailand, the parents just let him run around.  To keep him quiet, they gave him a large piece of durian; the smell of it just turned my stomach.  When the boy suddenly appeared at the side of me and put his sticky hands on my leg, I lost it big-time.  Even the manager made an appearance.  But the family of the boy just carried on eating, and even ignored tbe manager.

The manager apolgised, but that was my last visit to that buffet.

For all your funny comments & some doubtful reasons given I suggest his advise be heeded.

I love Durian & have eaten in many countries but limit my portions 

Have seen many people getting very sick with excess consumption

If it's one thing I can't stand, it's the smell of durian!  I don't allow it in the house, or anywhere inside the front gate.

A few years ago, my wife and I were eating a buffet.  On the table next to us was a family of 6, plus a boy not older than 2.  The boy was a bit of a handful, and as usual in Thailand, the parents just let him run around.  To keep him quiet, they gave him a large piece of durian; the smell of it just turned my stomach.  When the boy suddenly appeared at the side of me and put his sticky hands on my leg, I lost it big-time.  Even the manager made an appearance.  But the family of the boy just carried on eating, and even ignored tbe manager.

The manager apolgised, but that was my last visit to that buffet.

I have seen signs in the elevator of some hotel, pointing out the prohibition of introducing Durian in the room. It's not a joke!7C93F466-D3F4-48FC-99ED-D8668A5A5D49-221-00000007237FDF1A.jpeg069A5138-5460-49F2-8ABF-833B0F42900C-221-0000000710CB4A70.jpegB6576DFE-3FCA-4BC6-8236-F46DE1E0BEE5-221-00000006F7F83B0E.jpeg2AFDAB34-910B-456C-83CA-6AB3E6D18E94-221-00000006E9D40622.jpeg

I tried a small portion of durian once, and I can't understand what all the fuss is about in terms of taste. Not delicious, just a fairly bland taste like a grapefruit without acid.

The aftermath was having breath like sewer gas for the next 3-4 hours. I've concluded either masochists eat durian, or those who like getting their smell from both ends.

Durian I will not have it in the house, wife likes it and at £12+ a time it and the wife are banished to the Garden and no exceptions.

How anyone can eat sh>> I will never know

Mind you she banished me to the garden once so had to get my own back.

I own this house and its 100% not 51/49

Oh the joys of civilisation

40 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Durian I will not have it in the house, wife likes it and at £12+ a time it and the wife are banished to the Garden and no exceptions.

And you live where?

10 hours ago, Tarteso said:

After six years of smelling my girlfriend I told her I have to choose between her and durian. Durian won.

£12 a time.?
Just had a festival here in Udon and the most expensive I saw was 199 baht/kilo. I had some today 99 baht/ kilo so they must be durian eating machines!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

£12 a time.?
Just had a festival here in Udon and the most expensive I saw was 199 baht/kilo. I had some today 99 baht/ kilo so they must be durian eating machines!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We have durian on "sale here at 150 bt a kilo. It is durian season and the price will come down. I planted 10 nearly non awful smelling durians (there are many varieties) and they will produce in about 4 years. The wife says it is only for personal use and barter. I will be drinking a Leo with Buddha before I see a good sized one.

Either the writer of this has no idea what he is talking about or the translator got it wrong  It is impossible for durian to have flour in it I have never seen Flour pouring from durian when they crack it open 

So i must read between the lines and think either the writer or translator meant to say Starch  I dont know just guessing 

Love to guess  what they mean in a story :post-4641-1156694572:

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I tried a small portion of durian once, and I can't understand what all the fuss is about in terms of taste. Not delicious, just a fairly bland taste like a grapefruit without acid.

The aftermath was having breath like sewer gas for the next 3-4 hours. I've concluded either masochists eat durian, or those who like getting their smell from both ends.

That's like saying you tried a glass of wine once and decided it's all crap. There are many varieties of durian and Thai durians are very different from Malaysian durians. Anyway, it took me a few goes before I liked them, and the more expensive ones really do taste better... going cheap is like buying your wine in a box.

Durian is the 'king of fruits' but it is an acquired taste.Didnt like it much at first but after I was given some Durian Guam on Koh Chang that had been made by the wife of a local durian grower I became hooked. Absolutely love it now.We usually pay from 60b a kilo to  about 120b.I've had about 10 different varieties so far but have no real favorite just like them nice and ripe.

15 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

As with any food or drinks, excess use is not recommended.

But some foods -- like durian -- are much easier to eat in excess. That's what the article is about.