Very Cheap Condo?

scottiejohn

No! That's just poor English.

It really means that foreigners can buy a condo with their passport as an identifying document.

It's actually targeted at Chinese tourists.

Just now, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I looked at one last week that was 213,000 THB.  Walk to the BTS.

Which condo is that cheap?

Even a studio condo like  Nakornping condo near Kad Suan Kaew cost 2 million and above.

44 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Believe it our not, 9 out of 10 people too young for CEC know what and where the BTS is.

People who've been to Bangkok know where the BTS is.  However when I Googled "Chiang Mai BTS" I got no informative results.

8 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

You likely mis-typed your query.

Nope.  Typed "Chiang Mai BTS" into google and got links to speculation about future mass transit, links to Bangkok, something about a "home to of a group of businesses", and even information about flights from Bratislava to Chiang Mai, but nothing that would indicate BTS as a known Chiang Mai landmark.

A few of the best years I had in Chiang Mai was at a little condo in Santitham (which was a great area back then)

The rent was dirt cheap, the rooms were satisfactory and all the bar girls rolled in at 4am, noisy sods but it was fun.

Wouldn't buy a condo today, you've missed the real Chiang Mai boat and scamming is rampant.

Wouldn't just about every foreigner in this country have a passport as an identifying document?  Those without passports (and I do know a few living under the radar with long-expired passports) are not in the market for a new condo.

5 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Wouldn't just about every foreigner in this country have a passport as an identifying document?  Those without passports (and I do know a few living under the radar with long-expired passports) are not in the market for a new condo.

They probably meant that a PP is all that you need, no special visa or other documents are required

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

Please report them to Immigration who will either jail or deport them.

25 minutes ago, uptheos said:

They really bother you that much eh?

Yes.  I feel people like this usually have other criminal activity going on. 

"Good guys in, bad guys out" as someone once said.

4 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Yes.  I feel people like this usually have other criminal activity going on. 

"Good guys in, bad guys out" as someone once said.

Leave that to the law. Has anyone else ever impacted your life in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Well, when you're in charge, I'll do what you say, but not until then.

I'm not asking you to do anything it was just a figure of speech, but I repeat has your life been impacted by foreigners living under the radar?

Foreign teachers get about a third less pay and half the respect thanks to quite a few teachers, who are fleeing justice and/or using fake credentials.  I also get the feeling, when I go for medical treatment and someone from the cashiers office pays me a visit well before any physician and growls at me about payment it very well be that they were previously stiffed by deadbeat foreigners, with the only recourse being charging more to others.   It is amazing to see how many foreigners believe that they are entitled to free medicalcare, while a guest in a developing nation.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

20 hours ago, NancyL said:

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Foreign teachers get about a third less pay and half the respect thanks to quite a few teachers, who are fleeing justice and/or using fake credentials.  I also get the feeling, when I go for medical treatment and someone from the cashiers office pays me a visit well before any physician and growls at me about payment it very well be that they were previously stiffed by deadbeat foreigners, with the only recourse being charging more to others.   It is amazing to see how many foreigners believe that they are entitled to free medicalcare, while a guest in a developing nation.

The foreigners I know who are living under the radar without a passport or visa are guilty of no other crime, unless being old and infirm is a crime.  Many are leading very isolated lives in a village, cared for by Thai people who had no concept of how to maintain a visa or passport.   Believe me, even if they come to the attention of Immigration, they're not going to deport an elderly, infirm person who has assimilated into a Thai family.  If he otherwise breaks the law, then yes, overstay is a perfect excuse to get him out, but they don't like dealing with elderly overstayers because Imm. doesn't want to be responsible for their care.

I come into contact with those without passports/visas at the hospitals.  And yes, KKK, the private hospitals do a very good job of determining if a customer (Thai or foreigner alike) is able to pay for anticipated services before they start to provide service.  If not, they turf 'em out to a gov't hospital.  And,  the private hospitals will go to extreme measures to collect, like cleaning out the 800,000 baht retirement visa account of someone in a coma when that's his only asset.  The Thai banks cooperate in this.  Assuming the guy recovers, he may not be able to justify his retirement visa the next year.

In many respects, the big government hospitals are often a more humane choice.  They won't bring in a Thai bank to collect money from someone clearly unable to make an informed decision and they're willing to negotiate payment contracts for emergency, inpatient treatment.  Plus the quality of medical care at places like Suan Dok hospital and even Nakorn Ping hospital can rival that of the private hospitals.

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The foreigners I know who are living under the radar without a passport or visa are guilty of no other crime, unless being old and infirm is a crime.  Many are leading very isolated lives in a village, cared for by Thai people who had no concept of how to maintain a visa or passport.   Believe me, even if they come to the attention of Immigration, they're not going to deport an elderly, infirm person who has assimilated into a Thai family.  If he otherwise breaks the law, then yes, overstay is a perfect excuse to get him out, but they don't like dealing with elderly overstayers because Imm. doesn't want to be responsible for their care.

I come into contact with those without passports/visas at the hospitals.  And yes, KKK, the private hospitals do a very good job of determining if a customer (Thai or foreigner alike) is able to pay for anticipated services before they start to provide service.  If not, they turf 'em out to a gov't hospital.  And,  the private hospitals will go to extreme measures to collect, like cleaning out the 800,000 baht retirement visa account of someone in a coma when that's his only asset.  The Thai banks cooperate in this.  Assuming the guy recovers, he may not be able to justify his retirement visa the next year.

In many respects, the big government hospitals are often a more humane choice.  They won't bring in a Thai bank to collect money from someone clearly unable to make an informed decision and they're willing to negotiate payment contracts for emergency, inpatient treatment.  Plus the quality of medical care at places like Suan Dok hospital and even Nakorn Ping hospital can rival that of the private hospitals.

Excellent post!

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, sanemax said:

Which BTS station is closest to Chiang Mai ?

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, sanemax said:

Which BTS station is closest to Chiang Mai ?

To the Mods

Please close this thread as it has gone way off track from the intended 'lighthearted' thread it was meant to be.

The clue was in the cost of a replacement passport, i.e.  no cash!