Car tyres

1 minute ago, Mrjlh said:

God there is so much misinformation on tires.  You replace tires when the "wear bar" matches the thread or its damaged beyond repair.  Rubber in tires last around ten years before they become dry or brittle and less effective and that's entirely dependent on material composition. Cheaper brands the time is much less. The tire code states what quarter and year it was made. It's a reference not the law.

Not sure about cheaper brands don't last as long....Compounds used in a tyre has most to do with longevity, not price..

32 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

God there is so much misinformation on tires.  You replace tires when the "wear bar" matches the thread or its damaged beyond repair.  Rubber in tires last around ten years before they become dry or brittle and less effective and that's entirely dependent on material composition. Cheaper brands the time is much less. The tire code states what quarter and year it was made. It's a reference not the law.

This link should help.  https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-read-your-tire.html

Thank you, I found this most informative, it would appear that my tyres were manufactured in week 19 - 2013 (Spooky, that's the 2nd week in May) :)  they are Bridgstones and have just over 50k on them. I bought the car in June of 2013, so, how much more mileage do you reckon I could get out of them, I won't take your answer as gospel, but I reckon I could get appx 70k  out of them. Once again, thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Another post gone to the dogs, but back to the OP

A while ago someone told me that the Rules in Japan meant that, regardless of how much use ie mileage, that all tyres had to be replaced annually, can anyone with knowledge confirm if this is true or not ??

This is not in fact true, there is a two year car inspection a "shaken" but tyres are not replaced unless worn to set limits

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Not sure about cheaper brands don't last as long....Compounds used in a tyre has most to do with longevity, not price..

Cheaper brands usually use less quality compounds.  That what I implied.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Can you substantiate that...?

Why should I? it's call making a profit.  A side from standard practices tire makers have their own secrets in production to save money. 30 years as a manufacturing engineer you learn things. Also there are only a couple of tire manufactures anyway which makes most tires for many brands. Look it up. OK more than a couple but look at the different names they sell under.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Edited by Mrjlh
add link

2 minutes ago, Mrjlh said:

Why should I? it's call making a profit.  A side from standard practices tire makers have their own secrets in production to save money. 30 years as a manufacturing engineer you learn things. Also there are only a couple of tire manufactures anyway which makes most tires for many brands. Look it up.

Michelin are made in Thailand for Thai stuff, and others too..I do read stuff.....

9 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Rubber in tires last around ten years before they become dry or brittle and less effective and that's entirely dependent on material composition.

As far as I know climate also has an effect on rubber. It certainly seems to affect the rubber used in wiper blades, and the rubber grips applied to things like remote controls and computer mice. The climate here is harsh but not cold.

Having watched the F1 yesterday I am surprised that the major manufacturers cannot make a tire to basically last the lifetime of your average car, Actually no I'm not, wouldn't be in their best interest would it, a bit like the oil companies investing in electric cars :smile:  

3 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Having watched the F1 yesterday I am surprised that the major manufacturers cannot make a tire to basically last the lifetime of your average car, Actually no I'm not, wouldn't be in their best interest would it, a bit like the oil companies investing in electric cars :smile:  

They probably can but you would probably be in a box by now...:stoner:

OP is lucky he doesn't have a Bugatti Veyron. At the top speed of 254 mph, the OEM tires will disintegrate after only 15 minutes. To put that in some sort of perspective, you could (just) get from Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi Airport (or vice versa) before needing to call the AA man.

However, Bugatti have incorporated an ingenious, patented 'tire saver' device in that a full fuel tank only allows a maximum of 12 minutes running at the above noted top speed.

OP is lucky he doesn't have a Bugatti Veyron. At the top speed of 254 mph, the OEM tires will disintegrate after only 15 minutes. To put that in some sort of perspective, you could (just) get from Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi Airport (or vice versa) before needing to call the AA man.

However, Bugatti have incorporated an ingenious, patented 'tire saver' device in that a full fuel tank only allows a maximum of 12 minutes running at the above noted top speed.

Ford have a similar device that relies on deep puddles.[emoji228]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app