Car tyres

A bit of advice needed please, sort of a Two part question:

A while ago someone told me that the Rules in Japan meant that, regardless of how much use ie mileage, that all tyres had to be replaced annually, can anyone with knowledge confirm if this is true or not ??

The 2nd part is, if that is the case, I have been told that many places in Thailand ship in these hardly used tyres and can be bought a lot cheaper than brand new, I have a Fortuner and am nearly ready to replace the original tyres that it came with from the showroom, they have done just over 50,000 kms in 4 years.

Any thoughts any one and are there any of these tyre shops in Patttaya ? Thanks in advance :smile: 

Don't know about Japan but Michelin have a possible guarantee of 9 years, 3 on the shelf and 6 on the ride if the tread is still legal....The sidewall of all tyres has a date of manufacture embossed on the sidewall...

2 hours ago, transam said:

Don't know about Japan but Michelin have a possible guarantee of 9 years, 3 on the shelf and 6 on the ride if the tread is still legal....The sidewall of all tyres has a date of manufacture embossed on the sidewall...

Judas ... thought you were a Thunderer man ....

If you can afford them go for new.

On my last Fortuner Spivo I fitted Japanese Nitto Tyres. Around 29th for all 4. The Spivo had 18 rims could be a lot less if you had smaller ones.

Great tyre wet or dry and a lot cheaper than Bridgestone at over 40th.

Remember it's your only contact with the Soi. So Please don't go for cheap, if you value your life.

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If you can afford them go for new.

On my last Fortuner Spivo I fitted Japanese Nitto Tyres. Around 29th for all 4. The Spivo had 18 rims could be a lot less if you had smaller ones.

Great tyre wet or dry and a lot cheaper than Bridgestone at over 40th.

Remember it's your only contact with the Soi. So Please don't go for cheap, if you value your life.

But you did go for cheaper....

As others have suggested, I would go new if possible but my Thai friend uses this shop for used tyres in Pattaya

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9663006,100.9100665,3a,75y,338.84h,93.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0X55mBvTzi8xOJbdgrTeeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Its the shop with the big Maxxis sign on Sukhumvit on the left as you go North past Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

I have used them to balance some wheels, they are a family run outfit, seemed like a decent place, no overcharging for farang.

hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, transam said:

But you did go for cheaper....

The ones I brought were Nipon Tyres "Nitto" With a rating of over 250kph. Look them up on the internet.They get good reports, well except that they are crap in the snow. I just took it easy when we had some of that. What I didn't do like some peeps is buy Thai made cheap stuff for a 2 Ton lump. At 160+ last thing I would want is to have a blowout.

Forgot to add they didn't have Bridgestone in stock. As I had had a puncher in one of the tyres decided to change the lot. They were 6 years old so due anyway. N/B still had loads of tread left on the old ones.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

The ones I brought were Nipon Tyres "Nitto" With a rating of over 250kph. Look them up on the internet.They get good reports, well except that they are crap in the snow. I just took it easy when we had some of that. What I didn't do like some peeps is buy Thai made cheap stuff for a 2 Ton lump. At 160+ last thing I would want is to have a blowout.

Sorry but you quoted buying cheap, surely if you bought cheaper but telling others not to do so is a bit strange...But if any tyre, regardless of price, has the "E" stamp on the sidewall l cannot see a problem. Plus I would never drive anywhere near 160kph in LOS...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Sorry but you quoted buying cheap, surely if you bought cheaper but telling others not to do so is a bit strange...But if any tyre, regardless of price, has the "E" stamp on the sidewall l cannot see a problem. Plus I would never drive anywhere near 160kph in LOS...

The OP was asking about cheap imports. Just suggested Nitto as it might save him a few bob. 

You might not travel at 160kpm but some peeps do if only to keep up with the Thai traffic. Or get ahead of the tail gate mini buses.

High speed is not something I would recommend here. But at times needs must if only for a quick stab.

Lots of overthinking when it comes to tyres IMO, driving within the limits of your own capabilities, weather and road conditions will all stop Joe Bloggs from skidding off the road a great deal more than having the most expensive set of rubber fitted all round. Chuck a set of cheapos on, roads are terrible here anyway and covered with rubbish trying to give you punctures so why waste money on expensive sets. If your going to go hooning round at 160+ in a two ton lump expensive tyres wont help, a crash helmet, bucket seats and a roll cage might

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated I can assure you, Firstly,I rarely if ever, exceed 110 kph, normally stick to 100 kph, if I remember rightly, last time I went to Toyota, about 6 months ago they told me about 8500 Baht each, asked my Mrs to pop into the local Tyre place, they can do Bridgestones for 5200 Baht each, and a cheaper brand (The name escapes me, but quite well known here) at 4200 Baht.

So Monday will be down there for a new set of Bridgestones and see how long they last, thanks everyone for your help, still need to know about the Japan connection though :smile:

Having spent a few years in Japan, I can say that the car inspection (Shaken) over there is seriously strict. However, tires are usually inspected on thread wear and other kinds of damage, if the tire is older than 3 years they ask you to change it.

TH_TY.JPG.c6a4df61f93b5291bcbccdddba9b0af8.JPGA guy near me has to be careful with his money ... he has basically a banger (20 years old). His tyres are 11 years old and he has been told they need to be replaced before applying to renew his tax. I had a look at them ...  sidewalls have seen better days!! TBH as has the car ..

The are 185*65*R14 ... I've looked on the thunderer website and see that they do 185's and 175's  ...175's could go on?, he only potters about ... 

Edited by JAS21

Thunder will do for all Thai SUVs. Despite owners delusions they only have the power to Potter About.A very good Tyre according to Mr Trans who owns a sort of SUV.....a Toyota Vigo  bought prior to them adding a Garden Shed some Chairs and 700K + to the price. That Mans found real value..May be wrong, but i hears my Mich Pilots have shot right up since last year, my Motorway Millage is zilch from now on so ill be buying basic stuff next. Anything ? left, thanks for the first Chuckle of the Day. Dented an Ego there chum.:partytime2:

On Friday a mate had his Bridgestones replaced on his Mitsubishi Pajero. They were the originals. 110k klms and 5 years old.

He replaced them with new Bridgestones. Cost 22,000 baht, net 20,000baht after they gave him 2000 baht for the old tyres.

52 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Thunder will do for all Thai SUVs. Despite owners delusions they only have the power to Potter About.A very good Tyre according to Mr Trans who owns a sort of SUV.....a Toyota Vigo  bought prior to them adding a Garden Shed some Chairs and 700K + to the price. That Mans found real value..May be wrong, but i hears my Mich Pilots have shot right up since last year, my Motorway Millage is zilch from now on so ill be buying basic stuff next. Anything ? left, thanks for the first Chuckle of the Day. Dented an Ego there chum.:partytime2:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't you once tell all that a Vigo has 7 seats??? Now we are being told that a Vigo is a sort of SUV. Your post get more delusional by the Hour.

42 minutes ago, SussexExpat said:

On Friday a mate had his Bridgestones replaced on his Mitsubishi Pajero. They were the originals. 110k klms and 5 years old.

He replaced them with new Bridgestones. Cost 22,000 baht, net 20,000baht after they gave him 2000 baht for the old tyres.

About the correct price for Brigestone on a Mitsu. My ones for a Spivo were quoted at over 10th each for 18" rims.

The price goes through the roof once you have bigger ones. What they will be for 20" Buddha only knows. Guess 15th a pop.

Just looked it up 20" Dunlop that are fitted to the new Spivo. Recomended Retail price 20th each EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

Edited by fredob43

7 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Doesn't bother non ego folks Chum .its only a bit O Fun to most here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It may be fun to some peeps, but some post here to get correct information.

Fat chance of that reading a lot of the replies on TV.

13 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Dont worry about it. At least you squeezed in a memo about yer new truck within the Tyre Topic.We are impressed dear.:post-4641-1156693976:

Most should worry about your posts. You recommend that peeps use thunder tyres on SUV. When Toyota put on quality high speed ones. So you know more than Toyota???

The mind boggles.

N/B I never mentioned what I drive, or what I will be driving in the near future.

Edited by fredob43

Well TA has them , same spec as afartuna unless you split hairs over fa. Never counted seats and not recommended anything, might be wrong but I Tink you mentions new ride twice so far

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

About the correct price for Brigestone on a Mitsu. My ones for a Spivo were quoted at over 10th each for 18" rims.

The price goes through the roof once you have bigger ones. What they will be for 20" Buddha only knows. Guess 15th a pop.

Just looked it up 20" Dunlop that are fitted to the new Spivo. Recomended Retail price 20th each EEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

The older, up market Vigo, Fortuner and PJS used 17 inch wheels with Bridgestone dueler H/T.   These were not particularly good but did usually last well.  They are a lot cheaper than the 18 inch Dueler HP on the TRD Fortuner.  20k for a set of BS Dueler H/Ts is a good price.  The cheaper brand Maxxis, Thunderer, Roadstone are less  money but very similar, performance, apart from the Brand Cache. 

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Well TA has them , same spec as afartuna unless you split hairs over fa. Never counted seats and not recommended anything, might be wrong but I Tink you mentions new ride twice so far

I don't think you know half the time what you put in.

No never mentioned NEW RIDE. Have said Old Spivo. I do happen to know this as having sold my old Spivo. Still deciding what new lump I'm going buy. Have tried several MPV. Now it's a toss up between the new X pack Ford 3.2 and New top spec Spivo. But leaning towards the Spivo.

Better build quality & resale price.

Did mention tyres on Spivo as have one in the drive only had to look. It's a loan from Local Toyota garage for me to try out Goes back tomorrow.

Now you and all know the facts so please don't guess in future.

5 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't you once tell all that a Vigo has 7 seats??? Now we are being told that a Vigo is a sort of SUV. Your post get more delusional by the Hour.

My old Ford Ranger seats 9 comfortably if I chuck 4 garden chairs in the truck bed and tie them down. Inside is comfortable but the 4 outside are not so happy if it rains a lot. The umbrellas turn inside out too easily.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

My old Ford Ranger seats 9 comfortably if I chuck 4 garden chairs in the truck bed and tie them down. Inside is comfortable but the 4 outside are not so happy if it rains a lot. The umbrellas turn inside out too easily.

Is that provided you take the water tanks out before hand. Bit of a squeeze other wise.

Hope your pork sausages were ok.

10 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Is that provided you take the water tanks out before hand. Bit of a squeeze other wise.

Hope your pork sausages were ok.

I have had to modify the water tak to take 2 chairs and in the hot wearther I am calling it a mobile sauna.

Bangers are great thanks.

God there is so much misinformation on tires.  You replace tires when the "wear bar" matches the thread or its damaged beyond repair.  Rubber in tires last around ten years before they become dry or brittle and less effective and that's entirely dependent on material composition. Cheaper brands the time is much less. The tire code states what quarter and year it was made. It's a reference not the law.

This link should help.  https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-read-your-tire.html

Edited by Mrjlh
add link