Visa on arrival

Hi,

I am about to return home from work overseas. My extension of stay (Thai wife) expires on 5th June. I am not going to renew the extension this time as I want to move the process to a date later in the year. If I arrive before 5th June, can I request that I get a visa on arrival stamp in Phuket? I'm sure my past records visa's, extension etc will come up on their computers, so don't want a stamp to stay to the 5th as it would mean flying out again in a couple of days. Does the attending officer have the authority to stamp me in under a normal VOA? I need to know as otherwise I'll have to stay out of the country for a couple of days until the re-entry permit expires. This will be in Phuket by the way, so know they're a bit more difficult to deal with.

I welcome replies from UbonJoe especially. Thanks

On arrival at Phuket airport from overseas, you should be able to get a visa exempt entry. (I am assuming you are from a country that is eligible for visa exempt entries, and you mean that rather than a visa on arrival). Make clear that this is what you want. When your extension has less than 30 days left to run, it is normally no issue.

I assume you appreciate that you must start the whole non immigrant entry followed by extension rigmarole when you do eventually come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

When your extension has less than 30 days left to run, it is normally no issue.

Never heard of this before?

Thought it all depended on if there is a re-entry permit or not?

Edited by muzmurray

This is where the issue arises, I do have a re-entry permit, but it'll only have a few days left on it, which is why I'm asking. Would appreciate a reply from Ubonjoe who is the guru on all things such as this :)

9 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Never heard of this before?

Thought it all depended on if there is a re-entry permit or not?

If you do not have a reentry permit, there is never a choice. Your extension will be dead. Usually, if you do have a reentry permit, but it will allow you entry for a shorter period of time than a visa exempt entry, the immigration official will give you the option of whether to use the reentry permit or not.

8 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

This is where the issue arises, I do have a re-entry permit, but it'll only have a few days left on it, which is why I'm asking. Would appreciate a reply from Ubonjoe who is the guru on all things such as this :)

They usually ask if you want to use the re-entry permit (in my case it's usually yes), just don't put anything in the visa number box and tell then you want to use your visa exemption.

On 5/28/2017 at 3:05 AM, Tbone999 said:

Even with only a few days left they will automatically use the re-entry permit. You could ask that they don't use the re-entry permit and stamp you in for 30 days, but it will be down to the IO on the day. 

If they do stamp you in using the re-entry permit, and you don't want to renew the 1 year extension, you could apply for a 60 day extension instead (no financials etc. needed). At the end of the 60 days you could leave or apply for the 1 year extension of stay.

Sorry, but one thing is incorrect.

If you do have a reentry permit you should enter re-entry  permit number in the visa number slot on your entry card to call attention to it when you enter Thailand.

Write the words entry permit after it.

If you do not want to use that re-entry  permit write nothing in that visa number slot.

Either way, if you want the immigration officer to see your re-entry permit or not, it is best to show the permit to the immigration and make your choice clear to him or her at the time.

On 2017-5-31 at 2:44 PM, Tbone999 said:

Unfortunately, I've already used the 60day extension. I'll have to see if they'll stamp me in for 30days. too late to do anything now.

If my understanding is correct, you were overseas and therefore were out of the country, if that was the case, then there would have been no reason why you couldn't have got another 60 day extension, as you would have been on a new entry in to Thailand and entitled to apply.

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

If my understanding is correct, you were overseas and therefore were out of the country, if that was the case, then there would have been no reason why you couldn't have got another 60 day extension, as you would have been on a new entry in to Thailand and entitled to apply.

Your understanding is not correct. If he re-entered using a re-entry permit it is the continuation of a permit to stay and not a new visa entry. You can only extend by 60 days once per visa entry.

• Like 1