Road Traffic, revisited.....

swissie

Everybody is talking about the detoriating infrastructure in Pattaya. Let's single out "street traffic" once more in Pattaya.

Purely hypothetical:If you would be a member of the City-Council, how would you solve the (future) Street-Traffic problems in Pattaya, given the fact, that Pattaya is still growing by leaps and bounds, but the roads can not be widened without tearing down half of the existing houses that flank those roads?

If nothing is done, your future Travel-Itinerary may read like this:
- Flight from Central Europe to Bangkok = 10 hours.
- Taxi from Airport to outskirts of Pattaya = 3 hours.
- From the outskirts of Pattaya to your Hotel = 5 hours.

Foreseeable! What's the remedy according to you?
Cheers.
PS 1: No Helicopter Service from the Airport to the rooftop of your Hotel. Not raelistic.
PS 2: Who is going to buy my Condo, under these circumstances?

5 hours ago, swissie said:

Purely hypothetical:If you would be a member of the City-Council, how would you solve the (future) Street-Traffic problems in Pattaya, given the fact, that Pattaya is still growing by leaps and bounds, but the roads can not be widened without tearing down half of the existing houses that flank those roads?

I dont think it requires much brain-power to work out that the vast bulk of jams and general slowness here is caused by vehicles double and triple parking, or stopping in the middle of the road to load/unload passengers or cargo, or to sell something. Put policemen with teeth on every street and get them issuing large parking tickets to everyone who gets in the way and most of the traffic problems will disappear instantly.

Another thing that needs addressing is the duration of green lights at junctions. At some junctions the traffic lights are green for only a few seconds and most Thai drivers simply do not react to the green light before it has changed back to red.

I just spent 4 days in Bangkok.  I urge anyone complaining about Pattaya's traffic to try driving around Bangkok for a few days.  Compared to Bangkok's traffic, we are spoiled rotten here.  However, that doesn't mean Pattaya can't improve its traffic. I would eliminate parking on all the major roads, widen the sidewalks, and plant trees. Improve sois that connect major roads and make some of the private ones public.  As Kittenkong says, stiff traffic fines.  I would hire a large staff of meter maids to ticket the offenders.  Install proper turning lanes and put center barriers on some of the major streets like Thepprasit.  Improve street signs.  Improve traffic signals with lane sensors.

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

I just spent 4 days in Bangkok.  I urge anyone complaining about Pattaya's traffic to try driving around Bangkok for a few days.  Compared to Bangkok's traffic, we are spoiled rotten here.  However, that doesn't mean Pattaya can't improve its traffic. I would eliminate parking on all the major roads, widen the sidewalks, and plant trees. Improve sois that connect major roads and make some of the private ones public.  As Kittenkong says, stiff traffic fines.  I would hire a large staff of meter maids to ticket the offenders.  Install proper turning lanes and put center barriers on some of the major streets like Thepprasit.  Improve street signs.  Improve traffic signals with lane sensors.

Pattaya is paradise compared to Bangkok.

Stiffening the fines won't help....even a parking ticket of THB 100,000 won't impress if there's no enforcement.

What may help is categorically impound wrongdoing cars and motorbikes and force the OWNERS to take care of paying the fines. 

Suddenly you'll see how many lease-cars and cars owned by finance companies and banks are parked at the police impound lot. 

Where this impound lot should be? Well......there's a nice big lot available near the sea.......

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

I just spent 4 days in Bangkok.  I urge anyone complaining about Pattaya's traffic to try driving around Bangkok for a few days.  Compared to Bangkok's traffic, we are spoiled rotten here. 

This is true, but in Bangkok the main roads are mostly no stopping/no parking and this seems to be well respected there unlike here. Bangkok's problem is that there are just too many cars trying to drive around on too few roads. They need to increase the frequency of public transport for a start: a fairly empty BTS train every two minutes rather than a packed one every five minutes would be good. Then maybe more people would leave their car at home.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This is true, but in Bangkok the main roads are mostly no stopping/no parking and this seems to be well respected there unlike here. Bangkok's problem is that there are just too many cars trying to drive around on too few roads. They need to increase the frequency of public transport for a start: a fairly empty BTS train every two minutes rather than a packed one every five minutes would be good. Then maybe more people would leave their car at home.

So true regarding BTS.  They need more frequent intervals and more railcars on each train--4 or 5 doesn't hack it at all.  The public buses are a horror and need a total overhaul with an emphasis on getting the middle class on them, not just the poor. Tolls should be eliminated from the expressways and replaced with a gas tax or car license tax to make up the revenue. There's one ridiculous toll near Chaeng Wattana that backs up traffic for miles to collect--I think--10 baht.

The traffic lights are poorly managed, for the same street going in same directions, traffic lights within 2-3kms of each other should be synchronized, they spent millions on consultant fee for traffic management under the previous mayorship, who knows what comes of that, but no matter how clever the system is, it falls to pieces when the traffic cop puts it in manual mode at the first sign of gridlock

16 hours ago, newnative said:

Bkk has the skytrain, without which it would have ground to a halt long ago.

Can't be built in Pattaya soon enough to help.

Ban all parking on North, Central, South, Beach and Second. Licence tow trucks to remove any parked vehicles.

Reduce the number of baht buses on Second and Beach by 50%.

Ban all tour buses in the city. Have to drop off passengers by Sukhumvit and use baht buses to hotel.

Move the North Bus terminal to Second Rd.

Make Beach and Second 2 way traffic.

Build overpasses for pedestrians.

Could be done, but I doubt they care enough to actually do anything.

20 hours ago, digbeth said:

The traffic lights are poorly managed,

Yes I think that's one of the biggest problems  made worse by the tour buses  and to a lesser degree SUV drivers and their me first attitude to blocking junctions....they should also re-instate the turn left on red ( if safe to do so)  at every junction,   not have  someone hiding around the corner fining motorists that turn left at the poorly signed " left turn waiting light" junctions that they change on a whim every now and again !

On 29/5/2560 at 10:43 AM, johng said:

Yes I think that's one of the biggest problems  made worse by the tour buses  and to a lesser degree SUV drivers and their me first attitude to blocking junctions....they should also re-instate the turn left on red ( if safe to do so)  at every junction,   not have  someone hiding around the corner fining motorists that turn left at the poorly signed " left turn waiting light" junctions that they change on a whim every now and again !

Also most junctions each directions only take one 'go' at the traffic lights, with right turns and all blocking the traffic coming in the other direction, they could have less right turns time and make the traffic flow in both up and down direction, like on Klang at 2nd road, they already do this, but not for 3rd or the Big C Extra (Arunothai) 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:43 AM, johng said:

You've made a fundamental error in the SUV drivers and me first attitude... Its pretty much any driver, and as soon as the traffic gets worse the selfish actions of a handful spread like a virus to everyone around them as generally good nature of drivers fall like dominoes until every has the 'me first' attitude... 

The roads could do with a huge amount of improvement and design, but it is the selfish attitude of those blocking box junctions which creates a rapidly deteriorating general road attitude and an infuriating '<deleted> u' attitude to everyone else... 

Purely hypothetical:If you would be a member of the City-Council, how would you solve the (future) Street-Traffic problems in Pattaya

I would fire myself and all others in my group  straight away.

Maybe  put  Mr Flibble in-charge,  ASAP.

at least his funny. :thumbsup:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin