Short Term Volunteer Work - Whats Available?

glenbat

As above really, am planning a trip to Thailand on May/June for I'm hoping 6 or 7 weeks and wondered if theres anything I can do volunteer wise? Anywhere that would appreciate another pair of hands?

I've no idea what work is out there (if any) so any suggestions etc greatly appreciated. I'm 29 year old male with engineering background but willing to turn my hand to most things

Many thanks in advance

i take it by reading your previous posts that you have only ever been in pattaya. and now you are looking for voluntary work in isaan while your mates carry on with the sex tourist thing. so you have fallen for an isaan bar girl and want to stay here longer??i may be wrong and maybe you would deny if it was true. please do yourself a favour at your age(you say you are 29) and go and see the world, pattaya is a very sad place to start your overseas adventures,and even sadder one if thats all you aspire to at your age.

Wow, keenok, that is some serious theorizing going on there. Also smacks a bit of flaming too, I might add. Lets play nice instead, shall we :o

The tsunami hit regions still need volunteer labor I believe.

Wow, keenok, that is some serious theorizing going on there. Also smacks a bit of flaming too, I might add. Lets play nice instead, shall we :o

The tsunami hit regions still need volunteer labor I believe.

Even volunteers need a workpermit....

J

Cheers Sbk your right :o , but I would like to take this opportunity to thank those others who follow me round every room or look up on what previous posts I've posted I'm flattered honestly I am

I've nothing to hide and would tell you if i'd fallen for an Isaan bargirl (although those of you with nothing better to do will have read I was asking about a girlfriend visiting me in uk in the visas forum)

I'm glad your concerned for my aspirations keenok thank you so much, and at 29 the last thing I aspire to is another 60 years dribbling in Pattaya (although I'd rather be doing that than reading every tom dick and harrys post looking for ammo), hence me asking for volunteer work in other parts of Thailand and not asking "oooh i wanna spend the rest of my life in pattaya how can i do it?"

Yes I did meet some pretty bargirls, we all have and I do still keep in touch but I'm afraid that isnt against the law

And smartecosse I'm glad my pictures are bringing you some enjoyment

getting back to the original question (which funnily enough is why I asked it), thanks for the info from those of you who choose to give positive input about needing work permits for volunteer work

i take it by reading your previous posts that you have only ever been in pattaya. and now you are looking for voluntary work in isaan while your mates carry on with the sex tourist thing. so you have fallen for an isaan bar girl and want to stay here longer??i may be wrong and maybe you would deny if it was true. please do yourself a favour at your age(you say you are 29) and go and see the world, pattaya is a very sad place to start your overseas adventures,and even sadder one if thats all you aspire to at your age.

chill out buddy

you could apply for internships with a number of organisations. and as SBK said...still many that want more people to help with the rehabilitation in the south. perhaps if you applied as an intern, the visa situation becomes easier. (not sure about it though...have never had to apply for visa to thailand!)

interns that we get are students, so they apply for education visa..allows them 3 months at a time.

I think there is a exception to the work permit rule for volunteers if you are volunteering for a government agency. I volunteer for the Pattaya Tourist police no permit required but you must be a long term resident not her on vacation fot that one.

There are any number of organisations that could use an able bodied person. If look around the forum there are mentions of a number of very worthy organisations.

I plug Mercy Mission in Pattaya. Look at this link; http://www.mercypattaya.org/Help.html and this is how to contact them; http://www.mercypattaya.org/Contact.html

If you have any more questions about Mercy, PM me or post a question in the Pattaya forum.

One thing on here that always sparks off a lively conversation is volunteer work, from kiddie fiddlers to wanabe coppers theres always work for a volunteer !

very grown up comment congratulations

Only sparks off a lively conversation with those who cant find it in themselves to help others and are only too eager to judge others

nice to see that you are really defensive

if you dont want people to read your posts - don't post any :o

and what makes you think that i get any enjoyment looking a photo's of average looking asian girls ??

just thought it was funny that you have gone from posting pictures of "issan girls" as you put it to looking for volunteer work in that region - or perhaps its just coincidence...............

i'm not being defensive my friend just dont want to be labelled by miserable folk with nowt better to do in their lives

I do hope you're not in LOS it would make it even sadder that you have to find fault in peoples posts and jump to conclusions

Perhaps you could try volunteer work, after all you did end up in this topic? :o

As above really, am planning a trip to Thailand on May/June for I'm hoping 6 or 7 weeks and wondered if theres anything I can do volunteer wise? Anywhere that would appreciate another pair of hands?

I've no idea what work is out there (if any) so any suggestions etc greatly appreciated. I'm 29 year old male with engineering background but willing to turn my hand to most things

Many thanks in advance

Funny, I don't see anywhere in this post where it says the OP is looking for volunteer work in Isaan.

Regardless, it is easier to talk than do.

I hope there have been some useful suggestions for you in this thread. Good luck to you.

i'm not being defensive my friend just dont want to be labelled by miserable folk with nowt better to do in their lives

I do hope you're not in LOS it would make it even sadder that you have to find fault in peoples posts and jump to conclusions

Perhaps you could try volunteer work, after all you did end up in this topic? :o

jumping to conclusions..............

you post up pictures of bar girls not me

as for volunteer work I have done a lot of it over a long period of time though not very much over the last two years I must admit as I have been too busy which is a shame

and yes i do the good fortune to live in Thailand :D

and i don't jump to conclusions - i just read some of your posts, which as I've said b4 if you don't want people to do then don't post - nice and simple really :D

anyway as far as volunteer work goes I am sure that you will find plenty around if you look hard enough. In fact you could even just turn up any beach with a large bin bag, a pair of gloves and start picking up all the litter etc. Beach cleanups aren't really organised that often but every little bit helps.

Cheers sbk theres been some pretty useful replies and i'll be looking into a couple of them deeper over the next couple of months

I'm currently working for a large pharmaceutical company who often sponsor or assist charities so once I know where I will hopefully be helping out I'll be asking about some sort of donation towards those who i'm working with

Thanks again everyone