Are We Being Ripped Off

gharknes

Ever considered that a Bar Owner has to pay for...

Power

Staff

BIB

Rent

etc etc

If they only made say the profit on beer,they would probably go out of business.Just a thought. :o

What's BIB?

local cops

OOOPH! Etiquette problems, ATM problems, now paying the local cops.

At the risk of being non-PC, may I suggest you drink at a non-thai managed/owned bar if you want the real thing.

Personally, I'd also stay away from those places offering very cheap drinks, as the economics just don't add up, they can't possibly be giving you branded names or full nips.

the economics ? go to the top of this thread and read my original post, do you really think smirnoff vodka should be more expensive here than in many bars in London, I don't think so, 500% markup on a drink is simply rediculous, is it any wonder these people don't last long in the bar business, get greedy and you'll loose your ass, nobody will drink there, like i said before - I'd rather sell 1000 drinks in my busy bar with a 200% markup than sell 20 and they never come back. Keep the feet for dancing

I drink in a busy bar with resonable measures and prices, I still have a bottle behind the bar that I pay 200 baht to open.

A 500% mark up on a nip of smirnoff and coke would be 170 baht!

Where are you paying that price? Walking Street maybe. But I guess their rents and other overheads warrant it.

Pdaz, I agree with your statements but this shabbyness is bought on by most punters in Patters wanting the absolute cheapest price they can get, as you can see by reading this thread. This cheapness and the fact there are way too many bars (ie, the pie is sliced too many times) means quality has to go. But that's typical Asia, cheap and nasty.

Tammi, BiB= Boys in brown. Paying them is a fact of life in Thailand, especially Pattaya. How do you think they can afford those nice cars, houses, businesses etc on their salary of 5000bt/month?

Edited by dgoz

At the risk of being non-PC, may I suggest you drink at a non-thai managed/owned bar if you want the real thing.

Personally, I'd also stay away from those places offering very cheap drinks, as the economics just don't add up, they can't possibly be giving you branded names or full nips.

the economics ? go to the top of this thread and read my original post, do you really think smirnoff vodka should be more expensive here than in many bars in London, I don't think so, 500% markup on a drink is simply rediculous, is it any wonder these people don't last long in the bar business, get greedy and you'll loose your ass, nobody will drink there, like i said before - I'd rather sell 1000 drinks in my busy bar with a 200% markup than sell 20 and they never come back. Keep the feet for dancing

I drink in a busy bar with resonable measures and prices, I still have a bottle behind the bar that I pay 200 baht to open.

A 500% mark up on a nip of smirnoff and coke would be 170 baht!

Where are you paying that price? Walking Street maybe. But I guess their rents and other overheads warrant it.

Pdaz, I agree with your statements but this shabbyness is bought on by most punters in Patters wanting the absolute cheapest price they can get, as you can see by reading this thread. This cheapness and the fact there are way too many bars (ie, the pie is sliced too many times) means quality has to go. But that's typical Asia, cheap and nasty.

Tammi, BiB= Boys in brown. Paying them is a fact of life in Thailand, especially Pattaya. How do you think they can afford those nice cars, houses, businesses etc on their salary of 5000bt/month?

sorry mate but you need to look again, if you are trying to justify selling a 550baht bottle of vodka divided by 28 = 19baht, you sell at 80-100 baht a shot...............one of us and it isn't me, hasn't a clue what they're on about and I don't even own a bar

is it that difficult to work out, tiger beer 70baht you buy for 30baht, vodka you sell for 90baht you buy for 19baht ???????????????

well i'm a dumb ass and i don't know shit............like all the rest of the people the walk past your door

oh and maybe it's 470% profit, <deleted> does it matter, it is still just stupid

sorry i'm being a little sharp but you are trying to defend a point that is un...................e

Edited by gharknes

• 12 years later...

i thought this was about the seven eleven as theres a logo on the thread .. drinks aside . i'll comment on the seven eleven .. the other day i went in there to buy some stuff i couldnt get in the market. I always  thought it was expensive, but do the maths.

About 40p for a single toilet roll, drink 50p, crisps 40p .. home bargains will sell these for half the price. I know the seven is a convenience store, but interestingly in the UK i'm not as trapped into going into a convenience store. Hence Makro .. unfortunatley  mine is  (ive tested this) a 90 minute round trip minimum on a song thaew. I wouldn't put pedal to any metal in thailand.

On 12/27/2006 at 11:00 AM, dgoz said:

Smirnoff has the non-tampering nozzle in the bottle now. It's impossible to fill it with inferior vodka.

That goes for most name brand spirits now.

I wish I could get away with "half nips,watered down spirits,inferior brands". My customers are too cluey for that.

Not every bar is ripping you off. Paranoia is a serious mental illness; see a shrink.

BTW, if you want to be really ripped off go back home and pay 3 pounds or $6 for your drinks, and spare us the whining.

Hendrick's gin doesn't have a non-tamper nozzle. I purchased a Hendrick's bottle from a supermarket that didn't taste or smell like the genuine beverage. Many of the "Grant's" beverages, and Hendrick's gin is one of them, don't have tamper proof nozzles. The Glenfiddichs and Glenlivet scotches don't have tamper proof nozzles.

At one time, half the Johnny Red in Bangkok was fake, in bars restaurants and stores. Several news stories in the press where the customs guys caught guys filling the bottles and putting on fake excise labels. Now Diageo puts a hologram label on the bottle tops, but the glue is not very good and the bottle can be opened without tearing the label.

Edited by Banana7

As for Hendrick's gin here in Thailand, it's a ridiculous price of 2500b at the supermarkets. In Ontario Canada, the same bottle sells for CAD$53 which is 1220b. And yes, Canada and Ontario add huge duty and customs and taxes to all imported booze. Also, in Ontario, there is only one retailer, the government LCBO, so there is no competition.