School priorities and their consequences

Brunolem

43 minutes ago, kannot said:

you're wasting 7 years when kids actually  learn the most, re inability to concentrate

Studies by Harvard University confirm that the creativity, critical thinking skills, and flexibility of the mind are significantly enhanced if children learn a second language at a younger age. Preschool years, especially the first three years of life, are believed to be a vital period in a child’s life. This is when the foundations for attitudes, thinking, and learning, among others, are laid down.

7 years at a Thai school with broken English at best, or 7 years hanging around me and the Mrs (whether it be at our workplaces or home)....research also suggests that starting formal learning and doing homework before the age of 7 forms negative attitudes to study. By 11 years of age those who start at 3 are the exact same standard as those who start at 7 (4 years less school means more motivation when it matters as you are not sick of schooling - which is uni entrance exams in Thailand). It is why the best educational systems in the world start formal learning at 7, and it is why teachers in countries like the UK and Australia are now lobbying to start at 7 also. If Thailand focused on creative tasks and critical thinking I could agree with you (we all know critical thinking never gets taught). The homework my nephew gets in kindergarten 2 at a private school is just ridiculous. That is the reason in other countries why kindergartens and schools are separate institutions, so no formal learning takes place. In Thailand it is another matter.

We both work for the government so have very cruisey jobs, plus the nursery is across the road from the Mrs workplace. My colleagues are always bringing their kids into work so it seems a non issue. The same with the Mrs workplace. Or we could send her and the poor kid could have to remember 3 minute adult speeches in either Thai, English or Chinese at kindergarten level. never learn how to pronounce s, l, r, th, sh, ch etc. Or words such as 'singer', 'firstly' etc.. All words my Thai colleague cannot say when they try to teach the students. Not to mention the safety factor. Whether private or government, you get the odd/or majority of 'teachers' who are incredibly lazy. Which doesn't matter so much when older, but when small...

Edited by wildewillie89

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Sorry, I misquoted. Shitty keyboard.

I fully agree with you...that is why my kids are only attending school purely for social development. They will not be attending kindergarten, as I see no use of formal learning before the age of 7 (inability to concentrate). They will just be playing at the nursery or being looked after at home until that age and naturally developing with the help of us. I am not quite sure which school I will be sending them to yet (government was not going to be likely as i work in government schools).  There is one private and one international school within a few kms from our house that will be more likely. I will obviously have to go and check both schools out. However, i will still see the school as more social development more than creating a genius. And to make sure if the fundamentals are being taught, I will make sure our kids are getting outside testing. My father and mother in law are both teachers at a top school in Melbourne, my sister has her masters in education and TEFL, my other sister before moving to Sweden was also a teacher. So we have a lot of opportunity for Skype sessions, holiday work etc. Just to add a bit of variety from just school and us.

My Thai sister in law is a Science teacher at a university school in Korat. My Mrs is not a teacher, however scored the second highest score in Thai language in all of Thailand. She lectures on a regular basis and the government use her if have projects in Malaysia or any TV informational programs when she used to work down South. 

I fully understand what you're saying  though, I have worked in the big government school here, and now work in a small one (same pay for half the hours).  I also used to tutor in Korat, Schools such as Sarasart, Maree, Surawiwat (students at Surawiwat are easily at the same level back home is).  So I do understand the difference in quality.  My school is quite sad really, one of the classes only has 6 kids in it. Realistically, they should be the best school in the country with the teacher to student ratio, but yes, incredibly lazy.

All the best with it. You have obviously thought long and hard about it so good luck!