Are any animal places/sanctury worth helping out at?

mrblonde

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

My friend's been dead for 30 years, he ran the elephants on the Beatty-Cole show.

The Ringling show was in litigation for years with organizations claiming the show abused the elephants. The show won.

" The show won."

Hardly.

Due to public pressure and  video evidence of elephant abuse, they stopped using elephants:

March 2015 article:

Ringling Bros. Circus Will Stop Using Elephants By May

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/ringling-bros-circus-will-stop-using-elephants-by-2018

Then due to public displeasure and boycotting, they closed:

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey closes the curtain

"Circus managers said in January that declining attendance and increasing operating costs are forcing what is known as the "Greatest Show on Earth" to come to a close."

Everything has rising operating costs. But declining audience decides it.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/watch-live-ringling-bros-and-barnum-bailey-closes-the-curtain

Edited by JimmyJ

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

My friend's been dead for 30 years, he ran the elephants on the Beatty-Cole show.

The Ringling show was in litigation for years with organizations claiming the show abused the elephants. The show won.

He was part of the abuse. That outfit was charged many times. Many. The Internet is full of articles about this. Terribleorganization.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=429&more=1

Cole Brothers Circus Fact Sheet
(formerly Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus)

Performing captive wildlife — elephants, lions, tigers, bears, baboons, monkeys, camels, llamas — all endure years of physical and psychological pain and suffering in traveling acts to “entertain” an uninformed audience.

Cole Brothers Circus has failed to meet minimal federal standards for the care of animals used in exhibition as established in the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has cited Cole Bros. Circus numerous times for failure to provide veterinary care, adequate shelter from the elements, and proper food and water, as well as failure to handle animals in a manner that prevents trauma and harm and ensures public safety.

" The show won."

Hardly.

Due to public pressure and  video evidence of elephant abuse, they stopped using elephants:

March 2015 article:

Ringling Bros. Circus Will Stop Using Elephants By May

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/ringling-bros-circus-will-stop-using-elephants-by-2018

Then due to public displeasure and boycotting, they closed:

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey closes the curtain

"Circus managers said in January that declining attendance and increasing operating costs are forcing what is known as the "Greatest Show on Earth" to come to a close."

Everything has rising operating costs. But declining audience decides it.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/watch-live-ringling-bros-and-barnum-bailey-closes-the-curtain

Indeed "won" was a poor choice of words. The show was exonerated.

The activists were able to run the show out of business, which I assume you applaud.

He was part of the abuse. That outfit was charged many times. Many. The Internet is full of articles about this. Terribleorganization.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?p=429&more=1
Cole Brothers Circus Fact Sheet
(formerly Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. Circus)
Performing captive wildlife — elephants, lions, tigers, bears, baboons, monkeys, camels, llamas — all endure years of physical and psychological pain and suffering in traveling acts to “entertain” an uninformed audience.

Cole Brothers Circus has failed to meet minimal federal standards for the care of animals used in exhibition as established in the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has cited Cole Bros. Circus numerous times for failure to provide veterinary care, adequate shelter from the elements, and proper food and water, as well as failure to handle animals in a manner that prevents trauma and harm and ensures public safety.

He's been dead 30 years and you site a 5 year old article that you claim proves he abused animals.

Nice

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

He's been dead 30 years and you site a 5 year old article that you claim proves he abused animals.

Nice

The abuse has been going on for decades. As confirmed by this former employer there. In the 1970s. Lots of articles like this.

http://www.ringlingbeatsanimals.com/features/about-the-whistleblower/

And yes, congrats to the activists for going after this. Hopefully,  the same will happen in Thailand. It already is.

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Indeed "won" was a poor choice of words. The show was exonerated.

The activists were able to run the show out of business, which I assume you applaud.

"The activists were able to run the show out of business..."

The activists were able to demonstrate to the public that despite decades of denial, the circus systematically abused animals.

The public voted with their feet and their wallets.

Incidentally, without a doubt every time there was a hearing or a news article claiming or even showing video of abuse, the circus and its trainers always claimed to love their animals.

The claim meant nothing.

Someone who loved elephants, lions, or any other animal would not have worked for the circus for any period of time.

Edited by JimmyJ

"The activists were able to run the show out of business..."

The activists were able to demonstrate to the public that despite decades of denial, the circus systematically abused animals.

The public voted with their feet and their wallets.

Incidentally, without a doubt every time there was a hearing or a news article claiming or even showing video of abuse, the circus and its trainers always claimed to love their animals.

The claim meant nothing.

Someone who loved elephants, lions, or any other animal would not have worked for the circus for any period of time.

Yes, the Ringling show won $16,000,000 in a 14 year case countersuing the Humane Society by claiming the loved the animals.

Indeed

On 5/31/2017 at 4:31 PM, mogandave said:

Nice

Circuses re going out of business regardless of the law, it is because people are more and more aware of the why's and wherefore's of keeping animals in captivity and training them to do unnatural acts.

No-one wants to see this sort of thing anymore and circuses are a relic of the 19th century.

They may have "loved" their animals but that is no substitute for ignorance.

On 2017-5-30 at 9:17 AM, hugh2121 said:

Do you know where the dog place is in Sri Racha?

Hi Hugh

Actually it might not be in SriRacha, my apologies, hes called 'the man that rescues dogs', i think he owns a restaurant called Carrot, hes about half way between Bangkok and Pattaya?  (probably nowhere near sri racha so apologies)

On 5/31/2017 at 7:17 AM, DefaultName said:

OoooKay.......  There's some sort of logic there.  TIT I suppose.

The logic is that people part with their money faster when they can go home and tell their friends they "volunteered".   It's not a concept exclusive to Thailand.  There are tons of sites offering worldwide wildlife "volunteering" for fees in the thousands.

https://www.goeco.org/tags/volunteer-for-wildlife?&page=1

In a world of bullshit, the man with hip waders is king.

Edited by ThaiWai

Thanks everyone, some very good posts.. Are there any similar places for monkeys in thailand?  Where they're cared for etc? I've said about Lopburi to my gf but she doesnt fancy getting into a fight with one in public over it snatching her bag :smile:

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

Big monkey temple in Hua Hin.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks MDave, had a quick look it looks a bit like Lopburi?   I'm struggling to plan our 4 weeks in Nov/Dec, will be returning to Ayutthaya for a couple of days so could go on to lopburi if its similar (a place occupied by monkeys, rather than a sanctury), and try and not get robbed by the monkeys, seeing as we'd be half way there from BKK anyway?

29 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Monkeys are nasty. Many people have been attacked. Be super careful!

http://m.wikihow.com/Prevent-or-Survive-a-Monkey-Attack

Thanks Craig, thats what I've already told the missus but she's adamant she wants to see monkeys at some point this trip, and I guess Id rather one steal my food and hat than pay to have a drugged up one in a Man Utd football shirt plonked on my lap at some tourist attraction like Nong Nooch.  I think we've just decided on 3 nights in Ayutthaya with a day trip up to lopburi just to see the monkeys.  Next step for us is planning 2 1/2 weeks in either Isaan or Chang Mai, or both!

As long as you don't have food in your pockets or bags they generally leave you alone.

Saw them empty out the back of a pickup that had an ice chest and food in bags and whatnot. It was crazy, they were breaking open watermelon and throwing everything out they couldn't eat.

When guy came out and saw them it just added to the hilarity as he chased and tried to catch them in the woods.

Insult to injury...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect