Are any animal places/sanctury worth helping out at?

mrblonde

As some of you will know by now, me and mrsblonde and spending a month in Thailand from early Nov to early Dec this year, we cant wait.  We would like to spend 3 or 4 days somewhere with animals, preferably in their natural habitat, where we can help out, be it feeding, walking, washing, anything really.  I know there re a million and one places that beat and miss-treat the animals, are there any worth a few days of our time?  Happy to pay for the pleasure (accomodation, food, guide etc), just didnt want to end up somewhere with a bad reputation or that doesnt have the animals welfare in mind

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated 

If you want to be in an animal's natural habitat,  it won't be possible to feed, walk or wash them. That's not natural. Anywhere that allows you to ride an elephant is abusing that animal.

There is a pretty good soi dog rescue foundation in Phuket. I've read about ONE place in Chiang Mai that gets good reviews for their work with elephants.

Most other places are just into it for the money.

Thanks Craig, there's a small dog place in SriRacha too I think, my partner follows the guy on social media (for updates etc), I'll look into the elephant place in Chang Mai 

Would never consider an elephant ride or tiger shows etc, think its so sad

Thanks again 

So is riding a horse sad as well? Most animal trainers love and care for their animals.

I have no interest in riding an elephant, but I see nothing wrong with people that do.

There is a Water Buffalo sanctuary in Sa Kaeo that has little cabins on the property you can rent, and I am pretty leg you help out.

The animals seem well cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

So is riding a horse sad as well? Most animal trainers love and care for their animals.

I have no interest in riding an elephant, but I see nothing wrong with people that do.

There is a Water Buffalo sanctuary in Sa Kaeo that has little cabins on the property you can rent, and I am pretty leg you help out.

The animals seem well cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A horse is a domesticated animal. An elephant isn't, and can't be domesticated. One reason you see mahoots using big iron pokers to keep them inline. And if you follow the news here, you'll know why. Many have been killed and injured here while riding or being around them.

Also, it's bad for the elephant to be ridden.  From what I've read, they have very weak backs.

Take a look at the online videos of how elephants are broken. It's called the crush.

Many travel outfits have taken elephant rides off their itineraries. Congrats to them.

Since the beginning of time elephants have been used for the same things that horses have and are used for.  I agree that sometimes they go too far in training however, if you ever watched how a wild stallion is trained you would understand.  An Elephant brought up in a domesticated setting is no different that a horse that is the same as long as the training is proper.

24 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Since the beginning of time elephants have been used for the same things that horses have and are used for.  I agree that sometimes they go too far in training however, if you ever watched how a wild stallion is trained you would understand.  An Elephant brought up in a domesticated setting is no different that a horse that is the same as long as the training is proper.

They've also burned witches at the stake since the beginning of time. Doesn't make it right. Elephants are not horses. And can never be domesticated. Easy to research this if you take the time.

Watch a video on how they break a baby elephant,  it will break your heart. Hopefully.

I've never seen a horse broken like this.

Elephants World Kanchanaburi

Website Quote:

"ElephantsWorld was founded in 2008 and is a sanctuary for sick, old, disabled, abused and rescued elephants, who will receive the rest and joy that they deserve.

They can enjoy themselves in their own natural environment here until their last breath.

At  ElephantsWorld we work for the elephants, instead of them for us!

As a visitor you get to enjoy very memorable experience with these beautiful animals. You can help us with taking care of them by feeding them, gathering food and bathing them."

Long term support options

http://www.elephantsworld.org/mahout-program/

http://www.elephantsworld.org/volunteer/

On 2017-5-28 at 9:00 PM, mrblonde said:

Thanks Craig, there's a small dog place in SriRacha too I think, my partner follows the guy on social media (for updates etc), I'll look into the elephant place in Chang Mai 

Would never consider an elephant ride or tiger shows etc, think its so sad

Thanks again 

Do you know where the dog place is in Sri Racha?

On 5/29/2017 at 0:51 PM, craigt3365 said:

A horse is a domesticated animal. An elephant isn't, and can't be domesticated. One reason you see mahoots using big iron pokers to keep them inline. And if you follow the news here, you'll know why. Many have been killed and injured here while riding or being around them.

Also, it's bad for the elephant to be ridden.  From what I've read, they have very weak backs.

Take a look at the online videos of how elephants are broken. It's called the crush.

Many travel outfits have taken elephant rides off their itineraries. Congrats to them.

And jockeys use whips to control a horse.horses and other animals are only domesticated when forced to be

If you are willing to pay, there is an Elephant Sanctuary in Lampang. It is government run. There is a hospital and training center there too. They have programs where I think you train to be a mahout and care for the elephants. The volunteers do participate in the daily elephant shows and do ride them there, but I would think that is ok as performing in these shows is one of the few remaining functions that elephants have now that their habitat is depleted... Being a bit off the foreign tourist trails, though only about an hour out of CM, the clientele is mostly Thai people, though the mahout program is mostly foreigners. 

We have been to the show a couple of times. The elephants seemed well treated. 

You could go to lanta animal welfare and look after dogs and cats. The place is a bit of a money making machine owned by a farang. But they do de-sex all the strays and junior vets get to practice their new skills. The manager there used to be a young anally retentive English guy with strict rules but maybe he's moved on by now. Its worth a visit. 

3 hours ago, Ridler said:

And jockeys use whips to control a horse.horses and other animals are only domesticated when forced to be

But we're talking about elephants  here. Agree about horses. But didn't use force to train my dog. Positive reinforcement only. I've never hit it.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

If you are willing to pay, there is an Elephant Sanctuary in Lampang. It is government run. There is a hospital and training center there too. They have programs where I think you train to be a mahout and care for the elephants. The volunteers do participate in the daily elephant shows and do ride them there, but I would think that is ok as performing in these shows is one of the few remaining functions that elephants have now that their habitat is depleted... Being a bit off the foreign tourist trails, though only about an hour out of CM, the clientele is mostly Thai people, though the mahout program is mostly foreigners. 

We have been to the show a couple of times. The elephants seemed well treated. 

Elephants are abused if performing or being ridden.  Easy to do some research on that. Elephant shows are terrible.

Elephants are abused if performing or being ridden.  Easy to do some research on that. Elephant shows are terrible.

I had a good friend that was an elephant trainer and his wife had a pony track, they loved those animals.

Mahout's don't ride on the back, they ride on the neck.

A 3,000kg elephant carrying 300kg is like an 80kg man carrying 8kg.

There are people that abuse them, but I believe that is the exception, not the rule.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I had a good friend that was an elephant trainer and his wife had a pony track, they loved those animals.

Mahout's don't ride on the back, they ride on the neck.

A 3,000kg elephant carrying 300kg is like an 80kg man carrying 8kg.

There are people that abuse them, but I believe that is the exception, not the rule.

I'm sure your friend did love his elephant. I'd bet that's true for most mahoots. But the animal still has to go through the "crush" to be ridden or used in shows. A terrible process. Have your friend show you the hook he uses to control the animal. Pretty nasty.

Do some research on their backs. I'm just quoting what I've read. I also found it hard to believe,  but seems to be true.

https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/why-not-ride-elephants/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-27/rise-of-cruel-elephant-rides-in-africa-could-drive-poaching/6806212

I'm told (by an elephant enthusiast friend of mine) that this organisation is the only one that they would consider visiting (and assisting) as it, and it's founder, provide perhaps the only truly ethical attitude towards elephant "husbandry" to be found in Thailand:

http://www.saveelephant.org/

http://www.saveelephant.org/about/founder-sangduen-lek-chailert/

http://www.saveelephant.org/karen-elephant-experience/:

"After seeing other Elephant owners change their way of caring for their Elephants, a group of Elephant owners in Mae Wang area, just south of Chiang Mai city, have agreed to stop renting their Elephants to the trekking industry and have committed to care for the Elephants at their homes with the support of Save Elephant Foundation and forget the trekking chairs.

Now, the elephants have returned to their village where their owners are committed to caring for them in the best possible way.Removing the saddles and leaving the hooks behind, these elephants are now in the jungle by their villages where they can reconnect with the Karen hill tribe and their natural environment."

Edited by Enoon

Hi mrblonde,

Not sure of anymore places that haven't been mentioned.

But can highly recommend an English speaking driver/Guide. (Taxi Tour) out of Bangkok.

You can View Him on Facebook "Nukul Kaewpan" hope this helps

Regards

Neil

I'm sure your friend did love his elephant. I'd bet that's true for most mahoots. But the animal still has to go through the "crush" to be ridden or used in shows. A terrible process. Have your friend show you the hook he uses to control the animal. Pretty nasty.

Do some research on their backs. I'm just quoting what I've read. I also found it hard to believe,  but seems to be true.

https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/why-not-ride-elephants/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-27/rise-of-cruel-elephant-rides-in-africa-could-drive-poaching/6806212

My friend's been dead for 30 years, he ran the elephants on the Beatty-Cole show.

The Ringling show was in litigation for years with organizations claiming the show abused the elephants. The show won.