Cab skewered as "impatient" driver tries to outrun barrier on Krung Thep bridge

webfact

Cab skewered as "impatient" driver tries to outrun barrier on Krung Thep bridge

8.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A cab driver was seriously injured after he tried to outrun a barrier being lowered on the Krung Thep bridge in Bangkok Tuesday morning.

The barrier was coming down to prevent traffic crossing the bridge as it was being opened to allow a large ship in the river below to pass.

The barrier entered through a front window and skewered the cab coming out of the rear window behind the driver who was not named but was seriously hurt, reported Thai Rath.

He was sent to hospital following the accident that happened in heavy rain caused by cyclone Mora that lashed much of the capital causing widespread flooding once again.

Chakrit Praison of Bang Khor Laem police blamed the impatience of the taxi driver for not waiting as the barrier was lowered.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-30

This Title is quite wrong and unfair on the Taxi driver. 

The Taxi did NOT try and beat the barrier... the taxi was clearly driving in flowing traffic when the barrier was simply closed in front of him without any warning at all (the stop lights were not activated). 

http://www.fm91bkk.com/คลิป-นาที-เหล็กกั้นเปิด-ปิด-สะ

This is an electrical fault or a mistake of whoever operates the barriers on the Bridge. 

Edited by richard_smith237

12 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

I hope he had no passengers in the taxi.  Either way, dumbass, serves him right.

Did you read the post above yours or the link I posted (Post number 12)

This doesn't serve the taxi driver right, it could have been anyone of us driving down the road when the barrier drops without warning. 

Your comments and many of the others on this thread are unjustified in light of the real story. 

I would also suggest that the Mods Change the Name of this headline as it is simply inaccurate. 

I don't know this bridge, but what puzzles me is that if the barrier was lowered, as reported, hoew did it enter through one window and exit through another? Surely the barrier needed to be travelling horizontally to achieve that?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This Title is quite wrong and unfair on the Taxi driver. 

The Taxi did NOT try and beat the barrier... the taxi was clearly driving in flowing traffic when the barrier was simply closed in front of him without any warning at all (the stop lights were not activated). 

http://www.fm91bkk.com/คลิป-นาที-เหล็กกั้นเปิด-ปิด-สะ

This is an electrical fault or a mistake of whoever operates the barriers on the Bridge. 

Wish theyd  stop  putting up incorrect headlines on TV......its  spoiled my fun thats for sure

From the picture it is difficult to know exactly what happened. It could not be that the boom was lowering as it would just have hit from above. I just cannot fathom how he managed to get the end of the boom to enter the front left and exit rear right. He must have been travelling near sideways.