Honda Dream vs Honda Super Cub +Honda Wave (all 110s) now confused

kekalot

I used to have a Honda Wave 125cc, a few months later I got a CB500F for about two years.

only one parking.. so I sold the Wave. 2 years later (recently ) sold the 500,

feeling like I want to buy a new motorbike otherwise it's a lot of walking and minivans and blabla.

I seem to prefer Honda and usually get them kickstart only,, so I go on the internet.. I look at these 2 bikes

Honda Wave 110i (41,000 electric, 38,500 kickstart)

Honda Super Cub 110 (46,000 electric, unsure if kickstart)

went to Immigration yesterday to get the paperwork sorted to transfer the 500, there was a Honda shop 50 meters from it so I walked there.

so, I go to the Honda shop, ask them what is the difference APART from style.. buddy tells me "same engine" but not much more about it.

I showed them my paper i got from immigration, they said it's fine to buy motorbike but I have no money so.. I told them I'd come back if anything.

My friend comes and gets me, I go to a second shop.. then I see a black bike that looks EXACTLY the same as a Super Cub.. I tell my friend "ohh, I didn't know they had black Super Cubs" and she tells me.. "not Super Cub! it's a Honda Dream"

to options: we add.

Honda Dream 110 (41,000 electric, 38,500 kickstart)

ok so, I technically prefer the look of the Super Cub (the olive green one) but it's 5000 baht more than the 99% similar Dream. (or 7500 baht difference if I take off the electric starter)

I get my Thai friend to ask what is the difference between Dream and Super Cub is.. the lady says "this is Dream, this is Super Cub.." I roll my eyes.

then she tells my friend that the Dream is a stronger bike.. as far as I was told they are the SAME engine. I ask my friend why.. she cannot explain again.

I want to know why I would be paying 7500 baht more for a "Super Cub" if I can get a Dream that is (on paper) exactly the same bike but painted differently and doesn't have the little Super Cub stickers on it

maybe I am an idiot but I told the lady that I could just save 7500 baht and get the Dream a nice matte olive green painting, vinyl wrap or even plasti dip.

I attached some pictures I took yesterday, if you can't tell the difference, the all black and all red fronts are Dreams.

what am I missing here.. are those Super Cubs some kind of limited edition bikes or something?

222561.jpg

222562.jpg

222563.jpg

222565.jpg

222568.jpg

222570.jpg

222573.jpg

What exactly is your question?

"what is the difference between Dream and Super Cub is.. the lady says "this is Dream, this is Super Cub.."

I don't know how you can get a more concrete answer sir.

No translation necessary.

maybe TL:DR for you then.

9 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I want to know why I would be paying 7500 baht more for a "Super Cub" if I can get a Dream that is (on paper) exactly the same bike but painted differently and doesn't have the little Super Cub stickers on it

what am I missing here.. are those Super Cubs some kind of limited edition bikes or something?

4 minutes ago, kekalot said:

I want to know why I would be paying 7500 baht more for a "Super Cub" if I can get a Dream that is (on paper) exactly the same bike but painted differently and doesn't have the little Super Cub stickers on it.

Intriguing question.

Seek the answer inside your heart, Grasshopper.

2 minutes ago, NormanW said:

I've got the Super Cub. The Dream is the same bike without the groovy status and wacky colour schemes. Love it! They've built over 60million in 55 years.

yep. that confirms quite a bit.

I like the army green one, picture in one of the OP pictures somewhere.. but I think maybe smarter would be to buy the kickstart only Dream and get it vinyl wrapped, plasti dipped or even painted fully olive green.

otherwise, some lady was selling a baby blue Super Cub in BKK for 32k, tempted to grab that one and do the same thing.

I could not tell the difference even with them right next to each other, and this part on wikipedia didn't help.

Honda Dream may refer to any of the following Honda motorcycles:

5 minutes ago, kekalot said:

yep. that confirms quite a bit.

I like the army green one, picture in one of the OP pictures somewhere.. but I think maybe smarter would be to buy the kickstart only Dream and get it vinyl wrapped, plasti dipped or even painted fully olive green.

otherwise, some lady was selling a baby blue Super Cub in BKK for 32k, tempted to grab that one and do the same thing.

I could not tell the difference even with them right next to each other, and this part on wikipedia didn't help.

Honda Dream may refer to any of the following Honda motorcycles:

Arh right ok. Go for it ???

A drum brake up front? No good, the brake distance will be longer than a disk brake model and here in LOS, you need the best brakes you can get (without overdoing it).

Well I actually saw a Cup with a front disk brake, so something the owner installed later.

4 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

A drum brake up front? No good, the brake distance will be longer than a disk brake model and here in LOS, you need the best brakes you can get (without overdoing it).

Well I actually saw a Cup with a front disk brake, so something the owner installed later.

True and a disc is an option. I just ride within the limits of the bike. Easy round town.

I wonder if Kickstart only is an option

one shop told me yes, then the next told me no.. I wonder which one misunderstood

I like the 2500 baht saving, don't care for the added possible electric system issues (unlikely to happen but hey simpler is better)

, my friend said that they don't have kickstart because thai people don't like kickstart only so they not order

which to me would mean it IS available but then again, not sure what to do to confirm.

Don't think they do a kick start only option however, you never know here. Finding a reliable source to find out and then actually ordering one and then actually getting one may well be an impossible task. 

Good luck. 

Simple.

If you don't like the reliable e-start,

have it disabled or removed.

"one shop told me yes, then the next told me no.."

Well, just order from the one that said yes.

Edited by papa al

Dream..Super Cub; same bike

i just bought a Wave 125cc, front discs...few grand more but feels loads better than the 110cc. E-start is an option, you don't have to take it, all bikes have kick-start.

Wave has under-seat storage for your helmet, so you can invest in a semi- decent full- faced helmet without it getting stolen every time you go to 7/11 etc

Edited by lemonjelly

On 31/05/2017 at 10:01 PM, Nickymaster said:

E start, one of the best inventions EVER! Already get exhausted by watching guys kick starting their bikes. In 36+ LOS weather.. If you are on a very tight budget and want to buy a bike, ok! But otherwise..

Jeez, 45kg Thai women never seem to have a problem...

It is after all, a low performance 110/125 4 stroke...

On topic, i like the 2 tone paintwork and 60's style pastel colours on those Cubs.

Edited by thaiguzzi

The thing that interests me is that the Dream 110i was available for years and hardly anybody bought it.

Then Honda painted it some well chosen funky colors and re-branded it the Super Cub and it flew off the showroom floor.

Can't move for the damn things here in hillbilly land. 

9 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Just like my first CBR 150 in Thailand in 2005. It was a pain to start if you left it a few days. No kick start but a 150 isn't too hard to bum start.

The first gen CBR 150 was a pain to start if you left it standing a while.

My diagnosis was that the fuel in the carb evaporated but spinning the engine over with just the starter did not create enough vacuum to open the vacuum fuel tap so the carb would not refill.

My solution was to pull the vacuum tube off at the manifold and suck on it to open the fuel tap.  Worked every time.

But giving your bike a blowie to get it fired up is not a good look.  One of the reasons I sold mine.

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The thing that interests me is that the Dream 110i was available for years and hardly anybody bought it.

Then Honda painted it some well chosen funky colors and re-branded it the Super Cub and it flew off the showroom floor.

Can't move for the damn things here in hillbilly land. 

Aye yer right. The power of marketing eh. Love the colours. So simple and so effective. 

I owned 2 big bikes with kick-start only: HD low rider & Yamaha SR500.

I never ever want to go back to that, it's just a pain in the ass man.

Started our ex Fino on kick once when coming home from 2 month overseas work and my wife had forgot to switch it off after shopping. What a nightmare that was, had to go and shower after that little exercise.

No, push the start bottom and off you go is the way to go.

8 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

No, push the start bottom and off you go is the way to go.

Nothing to do with being "gay" if you use the "start bottom" is it guzzi? :cheesy: