Things looking up for star-gazers

webfact

Things looking up for star-gazers
By The Nation

42f7cc612110c7cc1e6cc4b4dda4a810.jpeg

Photo courtesy National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand

BANGKOK: -- June will be another interesting month in astronomy, with three remarkable events waiting to be enjoyed.

Coming up on Friday, June 9, is the annual “micro-moon”, the full moon coinciding with the lunar body’s furthest distance from the Earth. 

The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand is inviting people to take advantage of the telescopes being set up around the country to observe Saturn Opposition on June 15. Saturn will be in opposition to the Sun and at its closest to Earth on June 15 and thus visible all night, weather conditions permitting.

And, of course, June 21 is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, with its own intriguing phenomena to observe.

The institute will have telescopes available for public use on June 15 at Chiang Mai’s Maya Lifestyle Shopping Centre and its two HM the King Rama IX’s 7th Cycle Anniversary Observatory Domes, in Nakhon Ratchasima and Chachoengsao. Its network members will have their own equipment set up at 265 locations across the country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316830

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-31

Smily Face, I do remember as I was in Thailand and got a picture of my own. It is like that for all countries  that are near the equator or just north. not sure what it

looked like to the south of the equator , but Australia is still on my bucket list for the next 5 years to go and visit and stargaze while there.  I liked star gazing in Thailand

as no matter what time of year the dark hours are from about 7 PM until the dawn in morning.  Jupiter is doing some double transits right now so even if you

have binocs or a small scope youcan see the shadows of 2 moons some nights.