Merits of multi-grade motor oil in T'land

jobin

In my old car i prefer to use only benzine and 40W motor oil. Yesterday i went for an oil change and the shop could only offer 10W-30, 15W-40, etc but not one jar of single weight oil.

What is the merit of such oils in the tropics which in fact are made for cold climates?

Do folks care about the weight of the oil or most only go with the easiest to find?  All ideas welcome.

The oil stays the viscosity of the lower number - but protects/runs away from hot spots at the same rate as the higher viscosity rating.....

Designed to give maximum lubrication & protection under all extremes....

I like Delo 15w-40 but my shop started using Delo 10w-30 & it still doesn't use a quart in between changes - usually 7-8,000k instead of the 10,000k they show....

33 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I like Delo 15w-40 but my shop started using Delo 10w-30 & it still doesn't use a quart in between changes - usually 7-8,000k instead of the 10,000k they show....

Depends what engine you have and what oil use is best for it's design. :smile:

Partial to Delo - at the dragstrip it was the only oil that would hold up if the cooling system breached & went into the engine during a run without lunching the engine....

It's good stuff & works equally as well on gas vehicles - was originally design for diesel only Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil....But they changed it for use in all vehicles when the emissions drove the engine temps up.....

A pretty bullet proof product....

Thin oil flows better than thick oil. So a 10W will be delivered to the bearings much more quickly than a thick oil at start up. That is reason enough.

Not to use a multi grade oil in 2017 ... Diesel tractor trailers, mining haul trucks, heavy equipment etc use 15W40. Even ones in Australia where temps of 50C are common.

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

Thin oil flows better than thick oil. So a 10W will be delivered to the bearings much more quickly than a thick oil at start up. That is reason enough.

Not to use a multi grade oil in 2017 ... Diesel tractor trailers, mining haul trucks, heavy equipment etc use 15W40. Even ones in Australia where temps of 50C are common.

Yep, and multi-grades have been with us for many decades, way back 20/50 was the most common used. That's why I keep asking what engine it is. Over head can lumps need a multi so the oil gets up there SAP....We know in LOS the oil never gets "cold" but a straight oil will still thicken.

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, and multi-grades have been with us for many decades, way back 20/50 was the most common used. That's why I keep asking what engine it is. Over head can lumps need a multi so the oil gets up there SAP....We know in LOS the oil never gets "cold" but a straight oil will still thicken.

Magnatec is the best. :thumbsup:  :biggrin:

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, part synthetic and all are  multi-grades...:stoner:

I remember talking about Castrol testing a new super-bike synthetic oil in a bike like mine a Honda Fireblade in and around 1993.

The pub was empty in no time.  :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I remember talking about Castrol testing a new super-bike synthetic oil in a bike like mine a Honda Fireblade in and around 1993.

The pub was empty in no time.  :laugh:

I NEVER talk about tyre pressures in a pub........5930ef1673901_laughalot.gif.d5ba7ce46f37bbdf330855d9ac1cd016.gif

14 hours ago, jobin said:

Car a 1998 Opel Astra, 1.6, 5 speed, red colour sedan.  Mileage=lots but not excessive.  Not using oil and runs damn well, all things considered.  Hope this helps. 

Seems recommended is 15w/40...:smile:

14 hours ago, jobin said:

Car a 1998 Opel Astra, 1.6, 5 speed, red colour sedan.  Mileage=lots but not excessive.  Not using oil and runs damn well, all things considered.  Hope this helps. 

The recommended oil for that engine is semi-synthetic 15w-40 .:smile:

Irrelevant I know, but we used to use Castrol 15w40 in the entire fleet of vehicles from Mercedes through to the plant engines both petrol and diesel, normal and turbo aspirated. Too much stock placed on the finest of minutiae nowadays, we dont all run formula 1 engines.
15w40 all the way.....just buy the best quality you can afford and change it regularly along with the filters

Now I sit back and wait.........

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 6/3/2017 at 9:27 AM, Kwasaki said:

The recommended oil for that engine is semi-synthetic 15w-40 .:smile:

Semi Synthetic is a waste of money. It is neither fish nor fowl. OK if it is the same price but better to buy Synthetic or just oil.

11 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Semi Synthetic is a waste of money. It is neither fish nor fowl. OK if it is the same price but better to buy Synthetic or just oil.

Agree oils are good but a bit of a sales hype these days IMO,  l get 1 litre Castrol Active 20w40 for 140 bht for my bike oil changes,  which seems an OK price. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree oils are good but a bit of a sales hype these days IMO,  l get 1 litre Castrol Active 20w40 for 140 bht for my bike oil changes,  which seems an OK price. 

Why has Castrol Magnatec have all these "special" molecules that attach to everything, it has syn in it, why has mineral oil recommended to be changed at 5000k, semi 10,000k and syn 15,000k....? :stoner:

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Why has Castrol Magnatec have all these "special" molecules that attach to everything, it has syn in it, why has mineral oil recommended to be changed at 5000k, semi 10,000k and syn 15,000k....? :stoner:

Never do those kind of miles ( kilos ) anymore, so l just change the oil every year but have syn'ed sometimes by going over a bit more. :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Never do those kind of miles ( kilos ) anymore, so l just change the oil every year but have syn'ed sometimes by going over a bit more. :biggrin:

That's good, cos the syn just sticks, you will always have syn present after an oil change..:smile:

The fact is that if you use semi syn you actually save money, you can go twice as far for about a third extra cost.....Overhead cams love it and for sure turbo motors do too....