Uber and GrabCar debate: Same-old same-old, consumers facing problems just like with regular taxis

snoop1130

Uber and GrabCar debate: Same-old same-old, consumers facing problems just like with regular taxis

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZY548Eg6LlxWDywCK5neQTvv65Kh8zG.jpg

Thai Rath online published a long list of complaints from members of the public in a feature article yesterday as the debate over Uber and GrabCar raged.

And they posed the question with their own answer.

What is so good about the service? There seem to be just as many problems with the new services as there are with regular cabs.

Thai Rath said that despite the services being illegal many consumers were saying that the prices were better and so was the service.

But to refute this they compiled a mountain of complaints against both companies to attempt to prove their point that Uber and GrabCar were no real improvement.

Regarding Uber they listed the following:

A woman charged for using the expressway when the car went nowhere near it. When she complained to the company they ignored her.

Another person charged 639 baht to his card who never even used the service.

An irritable driver who told a passenger to shut up because they were talking.

A person who was refused by three cars in a row.

Someone who was charged 367 baht for what would have been 190 baht in a regular cab.

Regarding GrabCar they listed the following complaints:

A driver fleecing a customer because it was Songkran. They claimed they were charged 270 baht for a 70-80 baht fare just because it was the holidays. The customer claimed other people were ripped off to the tune of 400 baht for similar journeys.

A driver giving the wrong change then lying about it.

People charged when they had not even used the service.

The debate rages but Thai Rath at least seemed to have made up their mind that sticking with regular taxis was the way to go.

Source: http://www.thairath.co.th/content/958132

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-6-1

Curious how this article has been published in the same day that "A deputy at Thailand's Land Transport department has said that Uber and GrabCar continue to flagrantly break the law by offering their service in the country."

I'm calling 'fake news'. Really. I mean it.

I can't speak for grab, but Uber has been nothing but brilliant for me. And I say it's brilliant because they've merely brought me from A to B safely and with no cheating. The bar is set so low here that a taxi service you'd take for granted back home seems like a 5 star limo service here. 

Admittedly the Uber drivers have been more hit-and-miss lately.  They seem to be getting more unfriendly and the "can't read a map" crowd seems to be creeping into the Uber driver population.

I've had to go to Uber quite a few times to request refunds on blatant or mistaken overcharging..  Uber has credited my account every time.

Despite its flaws, Uber is heaven compared to the normal taxis.

Flagrantly illegal. But the 25 year old blue Suzuki mini songthaws here in Chiang Rai, with the bald tires, broken light lenses and bits of cardboard patching the roof are paragons of public transport virtues...

13 hours ago, fishbrando said:

Admittedly the Uber drivers have been more hit-and-miss lately.  They seem to be getting more unfriendly and the "can't read a map" crowd seems to be creeping into the Uber driver population.

I've had to go to Uber quite a few times to request refunds on blatant or mistaken overcharging..  Uber has credited my account every time.

Despite its flaws, Uber is heaven compared to the normal taxis.

"Uber drivers have been more hit-and-miss lately.  They seem to be getting more unfriendly and the "can't read a map" crowd seems to be creeping into the Uber driver population."

legit taxi drivers moving to uber?

Guest Jerry787

now a days i use grabacar in bkk by 90%, 
my feedback 

1- they faster as you know the price first, so they care to make the shortest road , no gimmick in taking longer trips!
2- in more then 20 times only once had a problem, one driver didnt know the way to airport, but over all very polite and listening to my driving indication, apologized and thanked me a lot
3- cars so far are always clean and well kepts

4- drivers polite and helpfull
5- as by above for the time being grabacar (not grabataxi) remain my first choice.

I've noticed a little 'Thainess' creeping into UBER as of late...

Sometimes the drivers accept a trip which they clearly don't want to take. They've accepted the journey for fear of being 'downrated' by UBER. As a result, they prat-about nearby, missing junctions etc in the hope I'll become exasperated and cancel the booking. This has happened a few times, its become an irritation and I've started using Grab a little more lately. 

However, these issues pale into insignificance with the issues encountered with regular taxi's over the years from the downright rude, dangerous and ignorant to the cars that are hardly road worthy. Of course, not all are like this, but enough are to warrant seeking out the viable alternative, which for the moment is Grab and UBER. 

"A person who was refused by three cars in a row."

What a blatant lie: since a customer puts out a travel request and ll taxis in the vicinity receive it, the customer only gets a driver when somebody agrees to the pickup and destination. It's impossible to know that you've been refused by x amount of drivers :post-4641-1156693976:

"A person who was refused by three cars in a row."

What a blatant lie: since a customer puts out a travel request and ll taxis in the vicinity receive it, the customer only gets a driver when somebody agrees to the pickup and destination. It's impossible to know that you've been refused by x amount of drivers :post-4641-1156693976:

Agreed... This is clearly negative spin by someone who doesn't want competition...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Instigated by who?

I'll assume you're talking about the consequences - these are dealt by the customers themselves.  If you see a not-so-well-rated driver, you can always cancel your request.

I’ve probably taken a hundred taxi rides in Thailand and a dozen Uber rides, and I have had far more bad experiences with Ubers than taxis.

The most common problem is the driver unable to find my pickup location. I can see them on the map taking wrong turns, really puzzling, and making an estimated 5 minute wait be 15 minutes with multiple calls to the driver, sometimes having to walk to a location they know.

One driver had an estimated 2 minute ETA but his car did not move at all for around 10 minutes, I called him twice and eventually cancelled only to be charged a 35 baht cancel fee (though after complaining to Uber, they refunded it as a credit toward a future ride).

I’ve also had one driver refuse to give me the price quoted by Uber, she wanted roughly four times as much, but was willing to negotiate.

In Thailand, the best is really just to have a few numbers of good drivers that you can call, for when you are in a location where there are no taxis.