National Ins number ! - car rental UK

This happened to me today on arrival at Heathrow and renting a car at Hertz:

In July 2015 the car rental rules were changed in the UK, renters have to obtain a Code number from the Internet

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

by inserting their license number and National Insurance number, this code is then passed to the renter ( Hertz, Avis etc ) so they can check your license is valid .

I remember this being enforced and the chaos it caused at rental places as people didn't know or understand. I thought it had been dropped as I've rented a car in uk probably 7 or 8 times in the last 2 years and never been asked !!

Luckily I had the information on hand and the process was painless, except for me being a little peeved.

The idea is that you can access the site above to gain the " check code" up to 21 days in advance to save time.

The point of my post is:

What if I didn't have my National Insurance number handy ?? What would happen ? Would he refuse my rental ?

( to those of you who say " I know my NI number off by heart ".............NOT helpful !! As I told the Hertz rep at the next desk !! If looks could kill !! )

If you have not gone online in advance and obtained the PIN to allow the car rental desk to access your records directly, or are unable to provide your NI to get a PIN and access at the time of signing up for the car, I imagine the car rental agency has every right to refuse the rental. That would be really tough if someone was on a prepaid rental voucher they obtained from a 'cartrawler' powered car rental search website.

I have found it much easier and quicker to use my 5-year Thai DL when renting in the UK. Of course, if one doesn't have one, or only has a 2-year 'provisional' Thai DL, then using the UK DL is the only option.

I agree that probably more than most on TV have long ago forgotten their NI number or will be challenged to find any reference of it in the piles of papers in the 'home office'. 

If anyone needs to find their NI number, this is where to start.

I needed mine back in 2000 when I was applying for a Seaman's Book and Card. I went to the local office of the (then) DHSS and after answering some questions, they submitted my request and the letter with my NI information turned up in the post at home a few days later. With fewer (if any) local offices of the DHSS (or whatever they call themselves now), if you can't answer the questions they ask on the phone-in option, the downloaded form and snail mail follow up seems like the only way.

Edited by NanLaew
If you have not gone online in advance and obtained the PIN to allow the car rental desk to access your records directly, or are unable to provide your NI to get a PIN and access at the time of signing up for the car, I imagine the car rental agency has every right to refuse the rental. That would be really tough if someone was on a prepaid rental voucher they obtained from a 'cartrawler' powered car rental search website.

I have found it much easier and quicker to use my 5-year Thai DL when renting in the UK. Of course, if one doesn't have one, or only has a 2-year 'provisional' Thai DL, then using the UK DL is the only option.

I agree that probably more than most on TV have long ago forgotten their NI number or will be challenged to find any reference of it in the piles of papers in the 'home office'. 

If anyone needs to find their NI number, this is where to start.

I needed mine back in 2000 when I was applying for a Seaman's Book and Card. I went to the local office of the (then) DHSS and after answering some questions, they submitted my request and the letter with my NI information turned up in the post at home a few days later. With fewer (if any) local offices of the DHSS (or whatever they call themselves now), if you can't answer the questions they ask on the phone-in option, the downloaded form and snail mail follow up seems like the only way.

Yeah, I only have the 2 year Thai DL but my UK license is valid until 2019.

Lucky I had my NI number on hand as I would have some difficulty in obtaining it immediately, wouldn't know where to start !

Thanks for the link, by the way.

I have rented a car in the uk with Hertz twice recently, the last time 3 months ago , and was never asked , guess I was lucky really because at that time I didn't have my NI number on hand.

Recently I decided to carry a small file with me when visiting the uk with some docs ( wage slip, pension documents, uk bank statement etc) and it seems to have paid off .

Thanks for the heads-up, not because I need to hire a car in Europe any time soon but because it reminded me to find and store my NI number :smile:

I also found out that my Government Gateway ID doesn't work despite it being printed on the card they sent me.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I also found out that my Government Gateway ID doesn't work despite it being printed on the card they sent me.

Yes, I was suddenly 'disowned' by their arcane online system recently. One of those things you sign up for due to some urgent, one-time necessity and then never have to use for several years only to find that you don't exist. I recently re-applied online to the government gateway but fearing the usual "this user doesn't exist" or "this email already in use" circus, I used the option to apply and validate through a Barclays Identity Service portal. There's a few other companies that offer this via the gateway's website and there's no need to be a Barclays Bank account holder.

Edited by NanLaew

Last year when back in the UK  I  wanted to rent a  car  ,but  yet again   the vain of my life now  when I go back to the UK , haveing to provid  evidence that the address  on my Uk driving  licence  is my   own flat .

My flat is rented out   all the time ,so no evidence  of ownership ,ie  utility bills ,bank statements,ect .

So like Nan Laew I used  my Thai  driving licence , no problem,thay  just put me down as a  tourist, this was with Euro  Car . 

8 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Last year when back in the UK  I  wanted to rent a  car  ,but  yet again   the vain of my life now  when I go back to the UK , haveing to provid  evidence that the address  on my Uk driving  licence  is my   own flat .

My flat is rented out   all the time ,so no evidence  of ownership ,ie  utility bills ,bank statements,ect .

So like Nan Laew I used  my Thai  driving licence , no problem,thay  just put me down as a  tourist, this was with Euro  Car . 

They are not interested in you proving you own something, they only care if you live there.  you don't, so your Thai license solves the problem.  Cant see any problem with that.

Last year when back in the UK  I  wanted to rent a  car  ,but  yet again   the vain of my life now  when I go back to the UK , haveing to provid  evidence that the address  on my Uk driving  licence  is my   own flat . My flat is rented out   all the time ,so no evidence  of ownership ,ie  utility bills ,bank statements,ect .

In my case I'm still using my uk DL even though I've lived outside of the uk since '95. I only got the Thai DL this year ( 2 year temporary) so cannot use it in uk.

I don't understand why they are asking for proof of your address ?? The address I use is actually my fathers house and not in my name .

Which rental company are you using ?

So I know to avoid it .

EDIT: just seen you were renting with Eurocar.

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don't understand why they are asking for proof of your address ?? The address I use is actually my fathers house and not in my name .

This issue is all about penalty points. If a rental car is caught by a speed camera trap, a violation penalty notification is issued to the 'registered keeper'. Which is, of course the hire company.

If the driver of that vehicle was using a UK licence, then that notice has to be passed on to the driver and police informed of this for further action, which includes applying the penalty points

If, however, the driver was using a foreign licence, the hire company is obliged to pay the penalty and recover the charge from the renter via his credit/debit card. In this case of course, no penalty points are involved.

A way round this for yourself is actually quite easy, if you have a UK bank account and on-line banking. Change your address to the one on your license, download a copy of your statement and print it off. Bingo, job done!

This issue is all about penalty points. If a rental car is caught by a speed camera trap, a violation penalty notification is issued to the 'registered keeper'. Which is, of course the hire company.

If the driver of that vehicle was using a UK licence, then that notice has to be passed on to the driver and police informed of this for further action, which includes applying the penalty points

If, however, the driver was using a foreign licence, the hire company is obliged to pay the penalty and recover the charge from the renter via his credit/debit card. In this case of course, no penalty points are involved.

A way round this for yourself is actually quite easy, if you have a UK bank account and on-line banking. Change your address to the one on your license, download a copy of your statement and print it off. Bingo, job done!

Yes I understand that, my uk address on my license and bank account address are the same, my fathers house, where I was born and lived until 20 years old.

I believe kickstart was being asked for proof of uk address upon renting and that is what I didn't understand. Maybe because I book and prepay my rental online using my bank account with my " uk address " already established I don't get asked to prove uk residence ?
10 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes I understand that, my uk address on my license and bank account address are the same, my fathers house, where I was born and lived until 20 years old.

I believe kickstart was being asked for proof of uk address upon renting and that is what I didn't understand. Maybe because I book and prepay my rental online using my bank account with my " uk address " already established I don't get asked to prove uk residence ?

Sorry, I've got caught out again! I'll readdress this to him. Thanks for letting me know.

Still a useful tip to publish though for other who may be facing this problem. 

Edited by Moonlover