Is your Netflix still working?

jdlancaster

Not sure if it's related or not. I doubt it as I think this more relates to being able to install and use the app at all, not whether you can connect, unless it's all a bundled up issue but Netflix have restricted the use of their app post v5.0 to Google certified devices only and those which are fully Android compliant.

Certainly it will mean that rooted devices of any type will not be able to download and install the app soon and some sites were reporting that Netflix may make changes their end to disable it on devices it's already installed on.

I wouldn't have thought it would affect set top boxes at all but over on the Minix forums there was a thread (that turned into the usual mods versus the rest row!!) where some folks were reporting they could no longer use or access the Netflix app from the play store.

Not sure if it'll affect boxes in time or not and whether it's time to take the plunge and order a second Shield for the bedroom and bin the U9, especially given the Shield is a certified Netflix device that can receive Netflix up to 4k by default vs the 720 hack that may or may not continue to work.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/16/netflix-blocks-millions-of-altered-android-devices-from-using-the-app-6642376/

Posted using Tapatalk

Friday about 10 am True stopped their so called "broadband internet" service. dead. So, after about for an hour a call to their helpful line reported they have indeed "ceased services for a short while as they upgrade systems" . It came back up 3 hours later. Interesting as I had scheduled a visit from True technicians that very afternoon. I learned later that the stoppage had nothing to do with me, of course. 

Since TOT actually owns the main lines ... perhaps there are changes being made to lines. 

Reminds us we really are in the 3rd world and enjoy a monopoly service as any changes or adjustments result in whole areas of the city or country service stoppages. One might ask ... why not do this kind of work at 3 am? Perhaps they often do and this was unavoidable. I doubt it, though

Mine is working fine. Using 3bb for Internet.  I know netflix was blocking vpn awhile back. Maybe they think your using one. I would talk to your service provider. Have you tried to use it at a free wifi zone like a coffee shop or mall?

If it works there then it's your provider.

As an update..  it fixed itself... I spoke with Netflix and they were blocking some tot ip ranges as they considered them to be proxies. The ISP can tell Netflix it's not a proxy... not sure if the same problem will happen again in the future.

I have a feeling they think some ips are proxies as you'll have one wifi for entire apartment complexes here in Thailand..... then given the nature of dynamic ips. Glad it's fixed.

6 minutes ago, jdlancaster said:

I spoke with Netflix and they were blocking some tot ip ranges as they considered them to be proxies. The ISP can tell Netflix it's not a proxy... not sure if the same problem will happen again in the future.

That looks promising for the future since your IP changes every 24 hours.

I use "Smart DNS Proxy" to stream blocked content from the US. I signed up for their free trial, then I subscribed to US Netflix's 30 days free program. Netflix has a lot of content that is not viewable outside the US. After making sure it worked as claimed, I subscribed. It also streams blocked content from the UK, Australia, Canada, several European countries and others. It also allows you to watch sports and listen to music. Setup is relatively easy and took me about 10 minutes, following their graphic and video instructions. I subscribed for 2 years for just over $1a month, a lot cheaper than most VPN's that sometimes don't work. Here's the link.  https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=9c06a12a3893nk 

On 6/3/2017 at 2:52 PM, rapom said:

I use "Smart DNS Proxy" to stream blocked content from the US. I signed up for their free trial, then I subscribed to US Netflix's 30 days free program. Netflix has a lot of content that is not viewable outside the US. After making sure it worked as claimed, I subscribed. It also streams blocked content from the UK, Australia, Canada, several European countries and others. It also allows you to watch sports and listen to music. Setup is relatively easy and took me about 10 minutes, following their graphic and video instructions. I subscribed for 2 years for just over $1a month, a lot cheaper than most VPN's that sometimes don't work. Here's the link.  https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=9c06a12a3893nk 

i tried them and they were slow and crap. very unreliable with uk tv.

Edited by GeorgeCross

16 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i tried them and they were slow and crap. very unreliable with uk tv.

Well, I have been a subscriber for about 7 weeks and have no complaints. I have had no issues with speed or viewability using 3BB 30/10.  I use Smart DNS daily, watching US based tv Fox, NBC, etc. and paid subscriber services such as Netflix US, Amazon Prime and DramaFever (which are each geographically blocked). Over the last 2 days, I watched the last 3 episodes each of, Chicago Fire, PD, Med and Justice on NBC which also blocks content geographically. When I log-in to Netflix, it takes me to the US site. Last week I finished watching the last 3 seasons of "Longmirer" which are not available on Netflix Thailand. So my experience has totally been the opposite of yours. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, rapom said:

I tried the 1 month free trial with ExpressVPN on android. Had to contact the VPN to find which IP to connect to as Netflix kept blocking. Its a  cat and mouse game between VPN and Netflix.  The VPN tld me which IP to use and worked quite well on Android. But may I ask you how is your speed using a VPN on TV? Can you watch Netflix in 4K,  HD or SD with the VPN on?

I tried the 1 month free trial with ExpressVPN on android. Had to contact the VPN to find which IP to connect to as Netflix kept blocking. Its a  cat and mouse game between VPN and Netflix.  The VPN tld me which IP to use and worked quite well on Android. But may I ask you how is your speed using a VPN on TV? Can you watch Netflix in 4K,  HD or SD with the VPN on?

I had the same problem with Express. Only one of them worked. Can't recall about Express as I looked at so many at the time I thought I might be interested in a VPN but some of these providers have 30 day money back guarantees but that's still no good if the only one or two servers that work get locked out after two months. The up front payments for a year as such aren't too appealing to me and paying monthly drives up the cost for something I'll get limited use from. I see some folks reporting they've had success with Pure.

Some of the services also seem to work better if they are set up and configured on the router (indeed this may be the only option you have with some devices) and in those cases that requires buying a suitable router, many of which are far from cheap, again, a waste of money if your chosen VPN joins the ranks of those blocked by service providers. Having bought an Apple Airport Extreme a couple of years ago, after falling for the bullshit and hype about the outstanding performance etc, only to find it was barely any better than the cheapie crap supplied by the ISP, I'm also less reluctant to fall for the hype again on the router front, especially as many of them come in at 10,000 ฿ plus!!

Posted using Tapatalk

Both versions of Netflix work perfectly without a VPN service...

The "Thai" version direct to Smart TV (slightly less choice of programs)

Or the computer version, hooked up to TV from computer has more choice for a little bit more money per month...

As suggested unplugging and resetting the modem can sort out buffering... seems to be very rare that happens.

(I use the 3 BB 900 baht a month plan) .

In Thailand whether you watch via an app or browser 'both versions' will be the same version, content geo coded appropriately for Thailand. A smart TV merely runs the Android TV app.

They both will work fine without a VPN because they're serving up the Netflix (Thai) content but that content is much much less than US content.

Posted using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

In Thailand whether you watch via an app or browser 'both versions' will be the same version, content geo coded appropriately for Thailand. A smart TV merely runs the Android TV app.

They both will work fine without a VPN because they're serving up the Netflix (Thai) content but that content is much much less than US content.

Posted using Tapatalk

Sorry to say they are not the same versions, as said above there is more choice on the "US" version. That's why one pays a bit more for the service.

21 hours ago, RBOP said:

Smart DNS Proxy is not a VPN. (Google the difference) Using Smart DNS, I stream blocked tv and paid subscriber content from the US, through my HP I-7, 64-bit, HD laptop which has 12 Gb ram and Nvidia 940M graphics by an HDMI cable to my Samsung 42" at 1920x 1080 resolution. I have no issues with picture quality or speed. The only VPN I have is HOLA, a free app that does not work with Netflix, but will allow access to some US andThai government blocked websites.  I subscribed to both Smart DNS and Netflix for their 30-day free trials. I used this 30 days to evaluate the Smart DNS program and it did work. Now when I log onto Netflix it allows me to view US content that is not available in Thailand. I subscribed to Smart DNS for 2 years for a monthly cost of less than 2 chocolate dipped cones at DQ. ($1.04)  Also, I would like to forewarn you not to download the Netflix app to your devices. This app can identify your location even if a VPN or unblocking program is used.   https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=9c06a12a3893

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

Sorry to say they are not the same versions, as said above there is more choice on the "US" version. That's why one pays a bit more for the service.

I question your last sentence. When I signed up last month the plan costs of Netflix inThailaind were not cheaper. My price per month was the same 9.99, but with the current exchange rate, paying in USD instead of THB was cheaper. 

On 6/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, rapom said:

I question your last sentence. When I signed up last month the plan costs of Netflix inThailaind were not cheaper. My price per month was the same 9.99, but with the current exchange rate, paying in USD instead of THB was cheaper. 

Well, if you sign up for the Thai version on a smart TV, it' is less (really tedious to do with a remote)  .... I forget off hand how much.... the Computer/ US version works out to  about $14.00 CND with exchange

Which reminds me I must cancel one of them.... quite honestly there is enough to watch on the Thai TV version... plus watch a lot on You tube on smart TV... more there than I ever imagined and free!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, SooKee said:

I had the same problem with Express. Only one of them worked. Can't recall about Express as I looked at so many at the time I thought I might be interested in a VPN but some of these providers have 30 day money back guarantees but that's still no good if the only one or two servers that work get locked out after two months. The up front payments for a year as such aren't too appealing to me and paying monthly drives up the cost for something I'll get limited use from. I see some folks reporting they've had success with Pure.

Some of the services also seem to work better if they are set up and configured on the router (indeed this may be the only option you have with some devices) and in those cases that requires buying a suitable router, many of which are far from cheap, again, a waste of money if your chosen VPN joins the ranks of those blocked by service providers. Having bought an Apple Airport Extreme a couple of years ago, after falling for the bullshit and hype about the outstanding performance etc, only to find it was barely any better than the cheapie crap supplied by the ISP, I'm also less reluctant to fall for the hype again on the router front, especially as many of them come in at 10,000 ฿ plus!!

Posted using Tapatalk

I bought an ASUS router so I could configure it for VPN use but I also fear paying a year or more in advance only to have Netflix shut it down. 

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:53 PM, rapom said:

Smart DNS Proxy is not a VPN. (Google the difference) Using Smart DNS, I stream blocked tv and paid subscriber content from the US, through my HP I-7, 64-bit, HD laptop which has 12 Gb ram and Nvidia 940M graphics by an HDMI cable to my Samsung 42" at 1920x 1080 resolution. I have no issues with picture quality or speed. The only VPN I have is HOLA, a free app that does not work with Netflix, but will allow access to some US andThai government blocked websites.  I subscribed to both Smart DNS and Netflix for their 30-day free trials. I used this 30 days to evaluate the Smart DNS program and it did work. Now when I log onto Netflix it allows me to view US content that is not available in Thailand. I subscribed to Smart DNS for 2 years for a monthly cost of less than 2 chocolate dipped cones at DQ. ($1.04)  Also, I would like to forewarn you not to download the Netflix app to your devices. This app can identify your location even if a VPN or unblocking program is used.   https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=9c06a12a3893

Thanks.   When you do a Speed Test while running in your proxy what's the speed?

2 hours ago, RBOP said:

Thanks.   When you do a Speed Test while running in your proxy what's the speed?

Please reread the second sentençe in post #18 and the third sentence in post #24. If that isn't enough information, go to the website, download the free trial and do some speed tests.     https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?afid=9c06a12a3893