From Bangkok, where's the easiest/ most convenient place to get a non B?

Hi everyone, I'm British, male, 34. I currently teach in China and will move to teach in Bangkok. There was a delay in the school getting the MOE letter for me to apply for a non B at the Thai embassy in China so I will have to enter Thailand on a 30-day exemption, collect the letter and then travel to a Thai embassy outside of Thailand to apply for the non B. 
Could anyone please advise me, which is the easiest/most convenient option for this as I haven't done it before. 
I did use the search function on this forum to find other similar threads but didn't find very recent ones and am aware rules may have changed. 
I did email a few visa companies in Bangkok to see what they suggested - one company replied "we provide apply Non-B single entry as well cost 8300 THB not includes hotel stay at Poipet border for 4 night before 3 night only" - is that correct? Can I get a non B at the border? Do all embassies take 5 days to issue non B visas or does it vary? Lastly, about the cost, I was reading a few trip reports about people going to Cambodia having to pay other charges. 
If anyone has got a non B recently or knows the most convenient way to do so, I'd appreciate advice, 
Many thanks 

Usually apply by 11 AM on Day 1 and pick up after 1:30 on Day 2. The most common locations for teachers getting Non-B Visas are Savannakhet and Vientiane, Laos. I have done Savannakhet twice and it is preferred because of a smaller queue and less waiting. 

Take the bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan, Thailand and then board the International bus over the bridge to Laos. Tuk Tuks know exactly where to take you...the consulate in Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it.
I've never heard of Savannakhet and didn't know it was an option. What the HR lady in the school in Bangkok actually emailed me was "You may go out to one of the nearest country like, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore where there is Thai embassy." I'll just reply that I'll go to Savannakhet and see what she says. I'm not sure of the difference between an embassy and consulate. 
I Googled Savannakhet and can see there is a Thai Visa thread from 2015, so can I just ask, have you applied quite recently or do the rules about getting a non-B stay quite constant?

Another newbie question, if you don't mind, do you take the bus from Ekamai bus terminal in Bangkok?
Many thanks for your help

I went a year ago...but Savannakhet is a popular place for Non-B even now. A consulate is a country's official presence outside of the capital city, embassy in the capital, consulates in other cities.

You would take the bus from the Mochit station, 3rd floor to buy a ticket.

As far as requirements, the school will need to provide you with a whole packet of info and forms, most of which will be in Thai script. You will only need to sign where indicated and fill out the actual Visa app form, available from the consulate website.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jadee said:

is that correct? Can I get a non B at the border?

Although (wisely) you are pursuing other options, just a quick explanation of what the agent is proposing. They will apply for the visa in Phnom Penh on your behalf, while you wait just across the border inside Cambodia. This is legal. Visa processing in Phnom Penh is a lot slower than in other embassies/consulates in the region. This is a bad option for a number of reasons: price, stick in a boring border town for days, unable to visit the Phnom Penh embassy quickly if there is an issue with the application.

• Like 2

Don't go with poipet visa agent option as waste of 4 days of your life and a lot of cash .

Don't rely too much on advice from your employers as they will have little practical experience and can lead you up the wrong path .

Savanakhet is simplest and cheapest option, will be wrapped up in 2 days and need one night in hotel. If read up on savanakhet threads and take latest advice on tour bus from bangkok, good hotels and tips on consulate location & how easy it is walk to it from savanakhet bus station you can't go far wrong unless half asleep on the day . All forms can be printed before trip making whole process super smooth on the day. Mukdahan border far more pleasant than poipet immigration gutter ...

Thanks for the advice. I emailed the school that I will go to Savannakhet and this was the reply:
"Since we have no experience with Thai Embassy in Savannakhet, would it be possible for you to go to Thai Embassy in Vientien instead where it is surely for Non B.

Please consider."
so, any ideas how to respond to this? What 'experience' does a school need with an embassy? My prior emails with the school led me to believe that the school would help me get a letter from the MOE and I'd take that to the embassy to apply. 

thanks

4 minutes ago, jadee said:

Thanks for the advice. I emailed the school that I will go to Savannakhet and this was the reply:
"Since we have no experience with Thai Embassy in Savannakhet, would it be possible for you to go to Thai Embassy in Vientien instead where it is surely for Non B.

Please consider."
so, any ideas how to respond to this? What 'experience' does a school need with an embassy? My prior emails with the school led me to believe that the school would help me get a letter from the MOE and I'd take that to the embassy to apply. 

thanks

Vientiane is fine if that makes the school happy. usually just longer queues and more people to wait with. The school must provide you with the documents required for the Non-B, you cannot go on your own without anything. Just make sure you have that packet of info and you will be OK. In that case you will be traveling to the border Thai town of Nong Khai before heading across into Vientiane. Might I suggest you hook up with one of the VAN Visa runs from Bangkok, they will make the trip easier and the cost really is pretty good.

Vientiane is a PITA compared to savanakhet, more travelling, more money and more queueing.

Personally what I do in thailand is go with my way after due diligence, if I done everything advised by thai officials and employees I would of been broke, dead or banned from the country long ago,  ultimately up to you, savanakhet generally no bother on B issues as do loads of them, vientiane has bit more of a social scene so maybe more your thing but for simple travel route and general smoothness and lowest expense savanakhet wins hands down .

* don't go with visa vans unless like wasting money for sloppy service and crazy drivers, visa services have nothing offer unless you completely incompetent .

Edited by BuckBee