English teacher "wais" and says sorry for attacking a primary school student - but now faces immigration enquiry.

rooster59

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, davethailand said:

Bet he drinks outside 7/11.

:)

What's wrong with drinking outside 7/11?  I do, ...mind you, it's at a noodle stall set up at dusk right in front of a 7/11, the barbecued pork and rice with soup goes a treat with a can of Leo and all for 35 baht (74 baht if you include the 'Leo').

6 hours ago, kmj said:

Yes lets get back to sending the little sh1ts up chimneys and bring back the workhouses because that worked as welll

That would be the Thai way and I would not favour that.

But it is impossible to argue that 30-40 years of bleeding heart liberalism have done anything other than produce several generations of people with no manners or morals or discipline, and no work ethic or brains either. The proof is everywhere you look.

6 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Striking children to make them obey just teaches them to obey only when they are in danger of being struck.  Up to about 10 years ago this was the most common way of enforcing discipline in Thai schools and resulted in the kids viewing freedom from corporal punishment being the same as freedom from all discipline. 

So just continue the same punishments into adult life.

Punishment and law in Thailand is a complete joke, as indeed it is in much of the west. Commit an offence, plead guilty, blame your sad background, do a half-dozen wais or a few hours community service and you are a free man. This is not how you make people behave or have any respect for the law.

27 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Clearly case proven in my favour by your reply.  Please see a medical professional as I suspect the onset of Alzheimer's in your particular case  or else degenerative cranium disorder.

Neither apply but apparently I was dropped on my head at least once as a baby.

Now, what's your excuse?

13 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

But it is impossible to argue that 30-40 years of bleeding heart liberalism have done anything other than produce several generations of people with no manners or morals or discipline, and no work ethic or brains either. The proof is everywhere you look.

But... it's exactly the same in China.

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That would be the Thai way and I would not favour that.

Not with kids I've taught over the last 28 years. 

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This is not how you make people behave or have any respect for the law.

Although the Thai judicial and penal system is mostly a shambles, I think you are getting the cart before the horse. The Thai laws and courts are generally fit for purpose. it's the front-end, the enforcement bit that's buggered. Get that bit sorted out and the follow up will probably be more black and white.

As they say at the start of every episode of Law & Order, In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The police, who investigate crime, and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Although the Thai judicial and penal system is mostly a shambles, I think you are getting the cart before the horse. The Thai laws and courts are generally fit for purpose. it's the front-end, the enforcement bit that's buggered. Get that bit sorted out and the follow up will probably be more black and white.

Yes, by "law" I meant "rules" rather than the actual legal system.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Not with kids I've taught over the last 28 years. 

What? You mean to assert that every one of those that came under your tutelage grew up to be fine, upstanding citizens? Not a single policeman among them?

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Where did they emigrate to then?

You do not need violence to ensure children are focussed learners. 

You just need to challenge children and help them recognise that learning is something to be celebrated not feared. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have just called a teacher who I used to work with and he does not know what these initials stand for.

If every teacher should know then why was I not taught it when I attended the Teacher Training Academy?

It was only mentioned briefly on some PGCE courses few years ago it's a fairly new diagnosis, again they used to be just naughty or disruptive kids but I. Education nowadays it all has to have a label to explain the behaviour - go figure. Most of the time you learn about this whilst in your first school usually from pastoral managers or head of house, Year,subject etc.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What? You mean to assert that every one of those that came under your tutelage grew up to be fine, upstanding citizens? Not a single policeman among them?

You don't need violence to teach, you just need to understand the needs of the children and help them achieve success. 

It's not rocket science. 

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, my friend is a teacher in Bangkok, we worked together at a school for one semester in Nakhon Sawan about eight years ago, just

after I graduated in a Teacher Training Academy in Bangkok.

Well that says it then Possum I doubt whether they would have used the term ADHD or SEN in Bangkok let alone Nakhom nowhere, as it is a term more commonly found in Education in the U.K. For about the last 10 years. So fair one not knowing it over here. ( was that a TEFL academy as those courses don't cover SEN or special educational needs either).

Edited by Grauwulf

Some people get trapped in a career for which they are not temperamentally suited. This guy is a good example and he should pursue other opportunities poste haste...and count himself lucky.

I've no doubt that kids can be little monsters but hitting them means the end.

50 minutes ago, smotherb said:

How does asking if you taught English--and that's it, without any innuendo--give the impression I was complaining of your English? 

I said "maybe", it was easy getting that impression the way it was worded, but I accept you did not mean it that way. :sad:

Actually, ADHD is a very common abbreviation and is something that every teacher should know.

A couple of students with ADHD in a class can make it very difficult to control.  Not only are they incapable of sitting still and paying attention themselves, but their behavior can and usually will influence the other students in the class.  Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any professionally trained school psychologists/counselors in Thailand.  Also, in Thai schools, discipline begins and ends with the teacher.  Most school administrators are baffled by foreign teachers asking for help with classroom discipline and would have no idea themselves about what to do.

My Thai wife has post graduate diplomas from Thailand Universities pertaining to Autism, Downs Syndrome, Early Childhood Development, and Early Childhood Learning Disorders. So, they are taught in Thailand but I do doubt that many teachers further their education in this field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Guessing this guy's an American judging by his size, big fake grin, and sloppy dress.

Theyre often easily angered resorting to violence at the slightest provocation--imagine if he had a gun.

Such a low-life should not be teaching in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You don't need violence to teach, you just need to understand the needs of the children and help them achieve success. 

It's not rocket science. 

So there may have been a few miscreants departing your hallowed halls for adulthood then.

Totally agree with your sentiments. I had an English primary school teacher advise me that after one-and half terms in her class here in LOS, my son, at the ripe old age of 6, was simply an underachiever. She was (probably) all of 26 herself, unlikely to have ever taught in any school in the UK before getting a TEFL endorsement to "live the dream" in Thailand and didn't even last the school year herself. Probably teaching dive classes in Koh Tao now. Talk of underachieving, eh?

1 minute ago, timkeen08 said:

My Thai wife has post graduate diplomas from Thailand Universities pertaining to Autism, Downs Syndrome, Early Childhood Development, and Early Childhood Learning Disorders. So, they are taught in Thailand but I do doubt that many teachers further their education in this field.

Might help them control classes better if they were more aware of these needs.  Very difficult to implement diversity and all inclusion in schools when so many disruptive pupils stop others learning.

3 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Your wife is going to be busy with those fields of specialization. Commendable.

Edited by NanLaew

5 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Guessing this guy's an American judging by his size, big fake grin, and sloppy dress.

Theyre often easily angered resorting to violence at the slightest provocation--imagine if he had a gun.

Such a low-life should not be teaching in the first place.

Meanwhile, back at the labeling, stereotyping and pigeonholing class....

Edited by NanLaew

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your wife is going to be busy with those fields of specialization. Commendable.

Especially if applied to the political ruling class of the day!!

Perhaps the silly little general's handlers could use these courses?

If the Daily News were involved in anything resembling journalism, it might have sent a reporter to investigate, rather than cobble together some half-assed story from the internet. 

Edited by Puwa

12 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

Well that says it then Possum I doubt whether they would have used the term ADHD or SEN in Bangkok let alone Nakhom nowhere, as it is a term more commonly found in Education in the U.K. For about the last 10 years. So fair one not knowing it over here. ( was that a TEFL academy as those courses don't cover SEN or special educational needs either).

Yes it was.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So there may have been a few miscreants departing your hallowed halls for adulthood then.

Totally agree with your sentiments. I had an English primary school teacher advise me that after one-and half terms in her class here in LOS, my son, at the ripe old age of 6, was simply an underachiever. She was (probably) all of 26 herself, unlikely to have ever taught in any school in the UK before getting a TEFL endorsement to "live the dream" in Thailand and didn't even last the school year herself. Probably teaching dive classes in Koh Tao now. Talk of underachieving, eh?

My post was really aimed at the poster I responded to regarding their bs perception that not striking children is "bleeding heart liberalism"

Under achieving is a difficult concept.

There should be benchmarks for what we want children to reach, but they should be a general goal and not a marker for every child to reach. 

All children can achieve but how far they go depends on their starting point.

It's progress that ultimately matters, not grades. 

Any teacher who labels a 6 year old as an underachiever is in need of retraining. 

Children need to be set personal goals/learning targets and be helped achieve them.

If they can't do this then it is the teachers role, with the help of SEN teachers if necessary, to find out why and in cooperation with parents help them succeed. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, possum1931 said:

Yes it was.

That'll be it then mate. TEFL and ESOL courses are just the very basics in order to teach foreigners English. Mainstream education is different. When I was at teacher training university there was an awful lot of time spent on psychology of children, classroom behaviour and socio-economic factors which affects education. Add on that your own subject matter and it's a very intense course but very interesting as to what makes kids tick.

BTW there are cases of pupils attacking teachers and when the teacher reacts it's the kids whose story is believed first. ( and yes occasionally the kids have even lied just to get teachers sacked!) As I said ages ago many great teachers leaving the profession because teachers have fewer and fewer rights.