PM May confident Britain can get good Brexit deal, but prepared to walk away

rooster59

PM May confident Britain can get good Brexit deal, but prepared to walk away

640x640 (5).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May reacts during a campaign stop near Doncaster, Britain June 2, 2017. REUTERS/Scott Heppell

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday that she was confident that Britain could get a good deal in negotiations to leave the European Union, but would be prepared to walk away without an accord on departure terms if necessary.

"I've said that I think no deal would be better than a bad deal. Now I'm confident we can get a good deal with the right plan for those negotiations, because I think a good deal is in our interests and in the interests of the rest of the EU," May said in a question and answer session with voters on the BBC.

"But we have to be prepared to stand up for Britain. We have to be prepared to go in there, recognising that we're not willing to accept a bad deal."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-03

31 minutes ago, kamahele said:

So, if she walks away without an agreement, does that mean no Brexit or a Brexit with no treaties in place?

No agreement still means Brexit.   May is right to stress that she is prepared to walk away with no agreement if necessary.  Had she said that she HAD to get an agreement, the EU negotiators would suspect that she would accept any old deal.  Walking away with no agreement could also mean that the EU do not get their expected (and inflated) 60 to 100 billion Euros exit fee, in addition to losing the UK's annual contributions, while at the same time having to agree to increased military spending by the EU in view of Merkel's "standing on our own feet" speech.

As I have said many times before, the EU is incorrect in thinking that it holds all the cards.

2 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

No agreement still means Brexit.   May is right to stress that she is prepared to walk away with no agreement if necessary.  Had she said that she HAD to get an agreement, the EU negotiators would suspect that she would accept any old deal.  Walking away with no agreement could also mean that the EU do not get their expected (and inflated) 60 to 100 billion Euros exit fee, in addition to losing the UK's annual contributions, while at the same time having to agree to increased military spending by the EU in view of Merkel's "standing on our own feet" speech.

As I have said many times before, the EU is incorrect in thinking that it holds all the cards.

"the EU is incorrect in thinking that it holds all the cards."

I'm pretty sure they don't believe this, but of course from their POV its important to keep pretending that this is the case.