Internet Slowdown To Be A Pain For At Least Three Weeks

george

I have CSLOX iPSTAR Satellite DO NOT EVER GET THAT is only works 10% of the time , no service

the never answer their phone.THEY Charge me 2,700 a month.I am stuck on a 1 YEAR CONTRACT,

they sold me some thing that does not work.They are corrupt and crude and rude besides that.

I have TOT Satellite right next to theirs which is 2 times faster and works 99% at the time.

So right now I an paying for 2, both 2,700 Baht a month.

FOR ANYONE OUT THERE DO NOT GET CSLOX INFO IT ABSELUTLY SUCKS.

I live in Kamala in Phuket and use the ipstar and it works about 85% of the time.

Downlod about 220 up at about 90-110, ( I pay for 256/128)

No idea what the guy about is raving about as they always answer the phone and 90% of the time I can fix it ( I sue wireless and have to reset the box alot)

My only comploant is the billing.

BUT past 2 days it has been slow and many time outs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what you get, when you allow companies like CAT to monopolize the international backbones. It is criminal intend of the Thai authorities that they do not allow organisation like NECTEC to run an backup. They will never learn however. It is too cozy being made important. On top of that CAT is one of the least important customers as they have negotiated a very low price for the least optimized service. Who cares if Thailand stays at the bottom of the food chain, certainly not the current government.

Umm... how is an earthquate off the coast of Thailand the fault of CAT? I mean, yeah, they are an annoying monopoly, or were - there are other companies now granted licenses for international gateways.

But - they really are not to blame for insufficient redundancy in underseas cables.

what is happening in this beautiful country ?

what is this country doing to its people and the many farangs who are supporting their Thai families ...

travelbeast

Yes, the earthquake in Taiwan is the fault of the Thai government.

Virtually anything that happens in the world in the fault of the Thai government. according to the great minds who post here.

I only can shake my head and silently hope it will beter over time ?

"Silence," as it might be defined in the age of the Internet, is not something often practiced by the people posting here, employing their relentless, pointless blame allocation game. It's akin to expecting a gaggle of gossipy old ladies to restrict themselves to silent headshaking...a genetic impossibility.

what is happening in this beautiful country ?

what is this country doing to its people and the many farangs who are supporting their Thai families ...

travelbeast

Yes, the earthquake in Taiwan is the fault of the Thai government.

Virtually anything that happens in the world in the fault of the Thai government. according to the great minds who post here.

I only can shake my head and silently hope it will beter over time ?
"Silence," as it might be defined in the age of the Internet, is not something often practiced by the people posting here, employing their relentless, pointless blame allocation game. It's akin to expecting a gaggle of gossipy old ladies to restrict themselves to silent headshaking...a genetic impossibility.

I think what people are saying is that it's the fault of CAT telecom that they put all their eggs in one basket having only 1 line and no redundency for such a critical internet link. It is actually quite ludicrous in terms of design not to have a backup link. I suppose you could say it was the fault of the Thai government in this respect then, since they own and operate the companty.

You guys are funny, no matter what happens some people always find some way to link some complaint about Thailand to it. My gosh, if you're so negative, no wonder all you see is the bad in life.

1) It wasn't just one link that was damaged. There are several cables that go through the affected area, and it's not about redundancy, it's just the limits of topography.

2) There IS redundancy. There are only so many cables under the Pacific, and now since some are unusable, then everyone (China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong) is loading onto the working paths.....THUS traffic is extremely high and there are going to be some connection problems.

3) Give the engineers a couple days to get the load balancing worked out and things will be much improved.

Take a chill pill people, relax and don't go off the hilt firing off criticism when you don't know what you're talking about.

2) There IS redundancy. There are only so many cables under the Pacific, and now since some are unusable, then everyone (China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam, Hong Kong) is loading onto the working paths.....THUS traffic is extremely high and there are going to be some connection problems.

If all the cables go through the same earthquake prone area, then the redundancy plan is flawed.

A valid redundancy plan means asking questions about the medium of the link;

cable, microwave, satellite etc and establishing the exact details of which cable, satellite etc is used.

If 2 links go via the same medium or route then you are in for trouble, as we see here...........

Out of SE Asia there are 2 directions to go, West, as well as East!!!

Malaysia always has better phone call quality to Europe than Thailand, as they use a cable west heading to India and on from there.

A link that was set up in the days of co-operation with the British!!

The current problems show what happens when you place all your faith in the US.

Funny how there was an Earthquake that's damaged a huge percentage of Taiwan's communications capabilities and here there are people posting complaints about not being able to 'Google' or conspiracy theorists blaming it on the Thai government. I think it's hilarious. Think I'll just follow hammered's wisdom and unplug myself for a bit. Anyone know of any good novels out there at the moment?

Don't know what you are referring to here except perhaps the top level (root) DNS servers managed by the US, which was not effected. Even the top level DNS server is not in one location in the US, considerable redunancy with it. Of course if you prefer China, who is trying to make their own, to be in charge.... that's even scarier. It needs to be centralized or at least well synchronized if more then 1 root server system.

Some links on the submarine cable systems showing considerable redundancy. It takes time to re-route a whole region but it is being done and beginning to show signs of improvement. Considering over $36 Billion has been spent and many billion more allocated for submarine cabling, it is not cheap - plus annual maintenance costs on top of that.

http://www.globalmarinesystems.com/cap_maps.asp

http://eyeball-series.org/cablew-eyeball.htm

http://telegeography.com/products/map_cable/index.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inter...ications_cables

Information on DNS servers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns

Whilst I empathise with these sentiments:

"I long for the pre www life, no mobile phones no email,

I make my living off of the net but would gladly change if I could

Recall the days when people actually sent MAIL and wnet to visit their friends not send them emails???"

another part of my mind says; "Hey, let us be careful what we wish for!".

WWW represents the peak of electrification/electronicification that was reached when we cranked things up through the era when energy supplies got easier and easier to get (and so became cheaper and cheaper). Now we are starting down the steepening slope as energy supplies get more and more difficult to obtain.

Living in Thailand without aircon, because electricity has got much more expensive relative to my small pension, is something that I can face up to (and be thankful that I won't be living without winter heating in England), but I hope they who are managing the decline manage to keep WWW alive and well.

Being able to download reading material and not having to order, pay for, and wait for, the printed-on-paper version has been a Godsend to me.

Ten years ago, on Thursdays, I used to be waiting for the postman to deliver the Guardian Weekly, but now I read the whole Guardian every day, some hours before my friends in England wake up and peruse theirs.

So I would not mind 'stepping back in time' in some ways, but not in all.

for those who don't read....

thailand is "one" of the effected countries.

Taiwan, Japan etc. must also have corrupt stupid governments....

jeez.....

Lecter

//remove url//

While that may be true developed countries do not route all thier traffic through the LCR (lowest cost routing) structure..

Here with the monopoly CAT system charging many multiples of normal international prices for international bandwidth to make ends meet Thai ISP's have to have less and less quality bandwidth and routing.

Government monopolies on telcos simply creates bad services and a lack of competition.

I am in Pattaya on Ji Net with TT&T (512). Yesterday around 8pm I suddenly found that amny sites that had been down earlier were working fine and that routing was now through London and New York. Singtel was the earlier first post of call and was not on the ping test at all from 8pm. Reckon they rerouted.

However not everyone here has been so lucky and many are still down or so slow that connections are timing out still like yesterday. I still have several sites I cannot get to but the main ones I can now and my UK based email is working fine today as well.

Scramble to repair Asia telecom lines after quake

Taipei - Telecommunications operators in Taiwan and Hong Kong have dispatched workers to repair quake-damaged undersea cables, as much of Asia remained without Internet access, officials said Thursday.

Millions of people from China to Australia muddled through a second day without full telephone or Internet services after Tuesday's 7.1-magnitude earthquake off Taiwan damaged the fibreoptic cables running through the zone.

Taiwan's largest phone company, Chunghwa Telecom, has contracted three boats from Britain, Japan and Singapore to carry repairmen to the area, said deputy general managed Lin Ren-hung.

Full repairs could take from two to three weeks, he said, adding that efforts would be made to re-route Internet connections with the support of foreign service providers.

In Hong Kong, where frustrated office workers struggled to gain access to overseas websites, telecommunications officials said five boats had been dispatched to the affected zone, local radio station RTHK reported.

Workers could need up to five days to partially restore the lines, the report said.

PCCW, Hong Kong's biggest fixed-line operator, did not immediately return phone calls for comment.

The disruption was widespread, hitting China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and elsewhere, with knock-on effects as far away as Australia for companies whose Internet is routed through affected areas.

International call services in Southeast Asia and to the United States remained disrupted, with operators in several countries saying they could not give a firm date for the full resumption of services.

Source: The Nation - 28 December 2006

If ThaiVisa servers are not affected, then why do I have the following problem?

On TRUE ADSL it takes 10-20 minutes to load one page of TV, apperently it gets stuck at some ads.

On CSloxinfo dial-up it is very slow (2-5min/page)

On Pacific Internet dial-up I get the normal speed for a dial-up connection.

I recall that TV has a "lite" version but can't find the URL anywhere.

opalhort

If ThaiVisa servers are not affected, then why do I have the following problem?

On TRUE ADSL it takes 10-20 minutes to load one page of TV, apperently it gets stuck at some ads.

We have no control over the google ads, the banner ads might be coming from servers outside of SE Asia (this current problem effects traffic in and out of SE Asia) - so the problem isnt with Thaivisa directly but from the banner/google ads on the page.

I have a similar problem, the content of thaivisa loads really quickly, but its still registering as 'loading' for a considerable amount of time. Not really the end of the world as i never look at the banner/google ads anyway :o

What a joke. Jealous? Why don't you start listing all the advanced technology and drug research that has come from England. Then make a list from the USA - I can tell you which will be the short list.

I'll tell you what, let's make it easy for you, we can stipulate that the USA will be a huge list - right?

I'll let you create your short list so you don't get writers cramp on the USA one - just tell us what England has invented.

What a joke.

Yes, well, never mind, this isn't really about the US at all, is it?

The fact of the matter is, at least where I live, the internet still is not working properly. Why is it working alright in other places but not here? Or is everyone experiencing difficulties too?

I've been using a proxy server but after awhile it seems to stop working and I have to change to another. Is this common?

What a joke. Jealous? Why don't you start listing all the advanced technology and drug research that has come from England. Then make a list from the USA - I can tell you which will be the short list.

I'll tell you what, let's make it easy for you, we can stipulate that the USA will be a huge list - right?

I'll let you create your short list so you don't get writers cramp on the USA one - just tell us what England has invented.

What a joke.

well for starters the language that you are useing now !!!

It's a standing joke in broadcasting that you never let the IT people near critical systems as they will always <deleted> them up. Here is a case in point... international high speed data telecommunications infrastructure brought to a grinding halt and then only slowly recovering a very partial service - all caused by ONE cable failure.

Hey guys... the world is ROUND... you can get there a different way... just think a bit when planning... oh... sorry.. "Planning" is when you work out what to do in advance and then figure out all the things that could go wrong and allow for them in the design...

Hmmmm? "design" ... well thats when...........

Gawd help us....

C'mon Greer,

I worked 30 year in IT consulting and I can assure you that 10% of the IT departments out there do know their job.

I tried to educate some of the remanining 90% at no avail. But then my comment is valid for any industry or specific job: 90% are professional idiots.

Hmmmm "design"? look at the new airport Suvanabhumi, sure they designed it for the comfort of travellers??? That was the last of their concerns...

What a joke.

well for starters the language that you are useing now !!!

:o

ENOUGH!

Umm... how is an earthquate off the coast of Thailand the fault of CAT? I mean, yeah, they are an annoying monopoly, or were - there are other companies now granted licenses for international gateways.

But - they really are not to blame for insufficient redundancy in underseas cables.

The backbone used by CAT (or lack of it) is more than certainly of their responsibility. The hardware is there, but they don't want to pay for it. They are in a monopoly position threatening to close down ISP's who don't obey to their rules (such as opening market channels for VOIP)

Currently I am in the US. Called my girlfried in BKK last PM. Call went through the first time but she could not hear me. Second & third try I got a recording saying the call could not be completed as dialed. Called her this AM & got through OK, no problem with connection. I also got an e-mail from her last night. All seems OK for now.

555 any one else see the secret message here?