Woman wrongly diagnosed with HIV 15 years ago seeks to sue hospital

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 6:40 PM, kwilco said:

This is certainly not an isolated problem - it is symptomatic of the haphazard nature of healthcare in Thailand though.

I can cite on incident of a girl being wrongly diagnosed as being HIV positive - if she hadn't been so determined to prove them wrong, she would have been in the same situation, but she knew enough about aids transmission tp realise it wasn't possible....got a second  (and eventually third) test and proved them wrong.

this was one of the "quick test" clinics in Pattaya. Lord knows how many incorrect diagnoses they have made  IN  BOTH DIRECTIONS - there are porbably dozens of people going around thinking they are HIV infected and an equal number blithely unaware that they are HIV positive.

the whole thing is utterly disgraceful

One also wonders what sort of doctor would come to the conclusion that the girl had become infected from her father and HOW!!!!!!! - It beggars belief that this guy/woman is allowed to practice.

Here's how: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3730482/ 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You don't get HIV off a toilet seat. It's transmitted by exchange of body fluids. The risk of getting HIV via sexual intercourse is 1000 times higher for a female than a man in a vaginal intercourse scenario. Different with anal activity. That's why it was originally called the gay disease.

The other sources of HIV infection are blood transfusions, and addicts sharing needles. Neither of which make sense for an 8YO girl.

The OP stated the father died of AIDS. As it turned out, the HIV diagnosis for the child was incorrect. What did not add up for me is an HIV positive diagnosis without any apparent attempt to identify the source of infection. Any epidemiologist will tell you source identification is a critical step in prevention.

Thanks I didn't know. Does that mean I've been wasting rolls of paper lining the seat in public toilets for all these years so I wouldn't acquire an immune deficiency that would make me mentally deficient too?

20 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Neither of which make sense for an 8YO girl.

The OP stated the father died of AIDS. As it turned out, the HIV diagnosis for the child was incorrect. What did not add up for me is an HIV positive diagnosis without any apparent attempt to identify the source of infection. Any epidemiologist will tell you source identification is a critical step in prevention.

The HIV Antibody test is a 'screening' test and is being used incorrectly as a diagnostic test. That is due to the fact that there is no diagnostic test for HIV. 

A Screening test accuracy depends on several factors:  Sensitivity, Specificity and The prevalence of the disease

Taken in combination results in Positive predictive value , that is the probability that subjects with a positive screening test truly have the disease.

Practitioners when getting a positive test will also take into account the persons , history,  Lifestyle, level of promiscuity etc.

In the case of this women the fact that her father died from an AIDS related illness was sufficient to discount her positive result from being a false positive. Despite the fact that she was only 8 years old, showed no symptoms of illness she was placed on highly toxic medication based on the 'Precautionary Principal'

Together with all the psychological trauma that accompanies a positive diagnoses - she deserves every penny that she can get from these quacks

Edited by rocketman777

5 hours ago, silent said:

Thanks I didn't know. Does that mean I've been wasting rolls of paper lining the seat in public toilets for all these years so I wouldn't acquire an immune deficiency that would make me mentally deficient too?

The HIV virus, and all forms of STD's such as syphilis and gonorrhea are quite fragile outside the human body. Their survival on a toilet seat can be measured in seconds.

I'm more worried about becoming mentally deficient from reading too many Thai Visa posts.

34 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

The HIV virus, and all forms of STD's such as syphilis and gonorrhea are quite fragile outside the human body. Their survival on a toilet seat can be measured in seconds.

I'm more worried about becoming mentally deficient from reading too many Thai Visa posts.

You can stop worrying.

On 2017-6-4 at 11:15 AM, kwilco said:

You probably aren't aware what a false syllogism is as if you were you wouldn't be using one.

I do actually but I don't think you understand and I have no wish to debate the issue with a pedant.

Yup - so you need to understand that HIV ' infection' is not a disease, its a theory that a virus causes AIDS, which is also NOT a disease but a condition that can lead to opportunistic diseases due to a compromised immune system.

So a virus is not a disease???

An infection is not a disease???

Sorry, that is completely illogical since it is doctors and pharmacies who give out anti,

-virals, not plumbers, forum posters and tour guides.

And infectious-disease is a medical category, studied / monitored by CDC and universities medical schools. A necrotic staph infection is most certainly a disease.

Disease

1. obsolete : trouble

2. : a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms : sickness, malady infectious diseases, a rare genetic disease, heart disease

3. : a harmful development (as in a social institution) sees the city's crime as a disease

diseased \-ˈzēzd\ adjective