What to See and Do in the Rayong Area?

DividendGuy

Hello Everyone.

My wife and I are going to drive down to Rayong for a week and the surrounding areas for the first time and were wondering what's to see and do there? We don't drink so that takes care of the bar scene, but I am more interested in what to see in the daytime and my wife (not Thai) is interested in the restaurants there. 

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

DividendGuy

One great restaurant in Rayong City at the beach is Lam Chalern ....Its on Riapjaifang which is the beach road at Hat Saeng Chan

Another good restaurant is Tom Nam Plaa which is in Ban Phe (well almost in Ban Phe) Its has HUGE grounds that look like a jungle with a river running through it.

Also in Ban Phe is the Rayong Aquarium which I can't vouch for as I personally have never been.

Otherwise in the city there's a Central Shopping Mall and Lam Tong if your into shopping.

Between Ban Phe and Rayong city is Hat Mae Rhumpueng. Its a beach area that goes for miles

Also probably best to move this to the Eastern Thailand Forum

Edited by beachproperty

53 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Also in Ban Phe is the Rayong Aquarium which I can't vouch for as I personally have never been.

It's worth the visit. It's on the way from Rayong to Ban Phe if you're going along the beach road before you get to MaeRamPoeng. I'd avoid  MaeRamPoeng on a Sunday; the rest of the week it's usually pretty quiet.And some good little restaurants along the beach.

I love the quietness of Rayong, we have rented a small fishing boat for the day several times, great fun (if you like fishing)

Restaurants are hit and miss nothing stands out, plenty of good basic sea food at the sea front restaurants along Ban Phe. 

tamnanpla restaurant is a must if you like good food but quite expensive take your camera if you go ,i know this is not what people visit restaurants for but the toilets there are magnificent if you can use that word to describe the humble hong-nam .   the aquarium at ban phe is worth a visit and another good restaurant is at the coconuts resort it is well signposted from the main road and not too expensive either

9 hours ago, badlad said:

tamnanpla restaurant is a must if you like good food but quite expensive take your camera if you go ,i know this is not what people visit restaurants for but the toilets there are magnificent if you can use that word to describe the humble hong-nam .   the aquarium at ban phe is worth a visit and another good restaurant is at the coconuts resort it is well signposted from the main road and not too expensive either

It's just down the road from where I live but at this time of year (low season) they might be disappointed. don't bother with Koh Samet, Rayong aquarium is awesome and just been refurbished. between Ban Phe & Laem Mae Phim  are the best beaches in the area and the new Marriot hotel along there has an awesome buffet but alcohol is expensive. 

ps I agree the toilets at Tam nan Par (classic forest) are good and I think it can seat about 5000 people if needed and nearly all the staff are Isaan so when we go my wife has a good chat in her dialect.

Forget good seafood restaurants down there. I've tried dozens and they vary from bad to passable. Beaches are nice though and very quiet midweek. Pretty quiet area which is the main attraction. In town there are the usual temples and markets to check out but nothing special.

If it rains can be grim as without the beaches to stretch out on you can end up in your hotel room all day only venturing out to eat.

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

Forget good seafood restaurants down there. I've tried dozens and they vary from bad to passable. Beaches are nice though and very quiet midweek. Pretty quiet area which is the main attraction. In town there are the usual temples and markets to check out but nothing special.

If it rains can be grim as without the beaches to stretch out on you can end up in your hotel room all day only venturing out to eat.

Koh Samet is the driest part of Thailand so Ban Phe & surrounding areas are the same, we've just had a lot of rain but that was due to a tropical storm and even then no where as bad as Bangkok had it. As denim said seafood restaurants can be bad to passable but living here we don't eat in any of the big restaurants but some of the smaller places don't have an English menu so you need a Thai with you. Rayong is the most industrialised part of Thailand so don't expect Phuket but as I previously posted you can find some unspoilt places here.

Thanks Everyone.

I appreciate your comments and replies so now I have enough places to visit. My wife is now in the process of making a restaurant list and we will visit some of the restaurants you mentioned and recommended. 

Again it was nice for all of you to reply and I am sure we will enjoy our trip.

DividendGuy

8 hours ago, DividendGuy said:

Thanks Everyone.

I appreciate your comments and replies so now I have enough places to visit. My wife is now in the process of making a restaurant list and we will visit some of the restaurants you mentioned and recommended. 

Again it was nice for all of you to reply and I am sure we will enjoy our trip.

DividendGuy

When are you coming ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I also love the laid back feel of Rayong. Plenty of things to do there. Suan Son beach is nice. Great to check out Koh Man Nai too. There are historical and religious sites such as the King Taksin Shrine too. Ban Phe is also worth visiting.