Daytime restaurant fare

maewang99

I believe there is a mega change in Chiangmai the last 15 years, maybe still a trend.... not mentioned enough or at all.

many restaurants now have skeleton crews during the day, open later and..... serve increasingly mediocre food, sometimes leftovers... not freshly prepared whereas the same places did in the past. there are exceptions.... but fewer as the economy has more and more of a tourism buzz... and, I am guessing... the focus is increasingly on evening crowds.... and alcohol sales.

yes. the solution is DIY cooking and baking.... at home. it sure is! 

and I'm being polite using the word 'mediocre'.

but I can't help to comment when I find myself coming up with thoughts such as 'if your customers are drinking.... the food quality is less important'.

if this is true and it ain't just me.... then Chiangmai is thinking way too short term... unless the destination for it is as (and increasingly also, maybe, more exclusively..... in this fast changing world)..... the World's Biggest Ethnological Exposition. i.e. not just elephants. and "even for the Chinese" (from a Thai perspective of outside regions).

what if your economic experts are wrong about a seemingly unlikely (so they say) paradox.... Thailand with a strong Baht. back to the 20's for the US dollah, that kind of thing. not because the Baht is stronger but because.... something else is lower. ex-exorbitantly lower. then it's not a paradox anymore. and that's just one scenario...... there are plenty of others. yes?

now, when you do have mega clout, what do you do? when you need the new transit systems. not Bangkok. when you need to manage your schools, and get rid of the fingerprint machines. instead your elite are focused on cashing in on tourism and even for that one, their long term strategy doesn't seem to be favorable no matter how it works out, in terms of the *****quality***** of life. which is everything. 

Edited by maewang99

31 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Which restaurants are you waffling about,as the ones i frequent ,dont do 

that.

regards worgeordie

Agree Geordie, it is not that difficult to find decent places to eat but CM sadly draws a lot of folks who seem to have difficulties with the most basic things.

For the OP, I think there are more good places to eat now than there were 15 years ago.  So I think your basic premise is incorrect but I am willing to listen.  You say many restaurants so name a dozen for us.

The OP doesn't make much sense.  I can name three restaurants that are known for their morning and lunch trade -- Butter is Better, Amazing Sandwich (both long-time and well-known in Chiang Mai) and Le Brunch, the newer excellent restaurant in Nakorn Ping condo.  Of those, only Amazing Sandwich is open for what could be considered an evening meal.

The OP failed to name specific restaurants that have passed from the scene.  I do miss the Subway in Kad Suan Kaew.  Had lunch there about once a week, but I'm managing.

Well I am just off to Yummy Pizza for lunch and am guaranteed a fresh meal prepared on the spot once I decided on my choice.

I usually have breakfast several times a week down at Sausage King and that's definitely individually cooked on request.

John

Don't come round where I live of late.Theres Nops Brown Gunge stuff ,cooled down with wind gusts from 18 wheelers pasing by the Table,7/11 do a Chese n Ham toasty with that moch red chilly I could have had a Tooth extraction,the Steak Houses look nice , but you get 4chips , a ton of Rabbit Food,and the Steaks Old Buffalo.[emoji233]. I wander to CM to restore my faith in edible Food now n then .Without Macro and a Lotus Extra I'd shrivel away Its bloody awfull this upcountry livin

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

on my way to Four Seasons Sunday Brunch,wonder what the poor people are doing:smile:

And for us townies, let's not forget Le Meridien's Sunday brunches.  They offer tempting menu items that can't even be purchased at Rim Ping, that they must import themselves just for their Sunday events.  I image Four Seasons does the same.

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Subway remains at MeeChok plaza, naturally just across from MCD.  Noted this morn, chicken subway only 79 bt. So Nance, hop in a tuk-tuk, enjoy both the ride and the sammy.

There is also one at Arcade bus station and the night bazaar one is still there, although its "Business for sale" 

8 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Don't come round where I live of late.Theres Nops Brown Gunge stuff ,cooled down with wind gusts from 18 wheelers pasing by the Table,7/11 do a Chese n Ham toasty with that moch red chilly I could have had a Tooth extraction,the Steak Houses look nice , but you get 4chips , a ton of Rabbit Food,and the Steaks Old Buffalo.emoji233.png. I wander to CM to restore my faith in edible Food now n then .Without Macro and a Lotus Extra I'd shrivel away Its bloody awfull this upcountry livin

I'm fairly sure this is a relevant post but unfortunately you don't say where you live (of late) and using English would also help....just sayin'

Regards,

Joe

You must be Yank ,it's old English ,sort of , but unless I wave my hands about and say Yo n Bro like a rapper today's Yanks don't understand.?.where I Live .? Phitsanulok is the nearest Gastronomic Dessert, or Uttaradit which is even worse !!. Every tims a good one opens its shuts down if I enjoy it.I like CM , plenty of Varity n very few DrunkenFerangs like Pats , but nothing can match a US Steak n Salad joint with Idaho BakedPotatoes.?[emoji481]

9 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Seriously, what is up with the writing capabilities of the average poster on this forum? What's worse, they're native speakers too!

SAD!

Not everyone posting on TV is a native speaker. Many posters on here are from mainland Europe, Australia or the US.

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

I know a fantastic place for Thai food in the daytime, but why would I tell anyone and make it popular and then run the risk of the quality going down because of the increased business? 

I agree - far better not to tell anyone, so it eventually closes for lack of business. :saai:

So many people have this dumb "I'll keep it as my secret" idea; I can never understand it.

Patrick

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not everyone posting on TV is a native speaker. Many posters on here are from mainland Europe, Australia or the US.

I'm talking about cobbers from Aus, UK and USA. I would never criticise non-native speakers. I am one as well.

Edited by Bassosa