Eyeglasses, Progressive vs, MrEye BKK, all sundry

Number 6

I'm interested in getting prescription lenses, progressive lenses preferably but Im concerned over the way my eyes will have to adjust to the glasses (blurriness, headaches, vertigo...) and the ridiculous cost.

Won't go into details but I'm pretty happy with Mr Eye Central Pohan Yotin. Nice selection of over priced frames and appears the optics department has its act together.

I had a check at Rutin Eye Clinic but don't care for their frames. Some I sorta liked were as expensive as Mr Eye.

So...first, Im freaked out getting glasses. Im ok with my readers except my eyes are now bad at all distances. Im worried about all the things Ive read about progressive lenses and the picture the saleswoman showed me - the differences between the 3 qualities of lenses. The highest quality has the widest middle area. Seems like a way to extort money. Same materials, same effort. Anyway, Im worried I won't be happy with them or my eyes won't adjust. This is my first pair of real glasses. I could go with bifocals for half the price but I think they'll make me look even more old!

So...the frames I've selected are b8000 sticker. Shes discounted the package. Its looking like this...

Bifocals Crizal UV lenses b5700

Varilux comfort airwear UV flagship 14700

Varilux physio airwear UV 21000

My notes are sketchy. Think all those prices just for lenses and not incl frames. 

I dont really want the middle quality but 30k for glasses is a bridge tooooo far.

If someone knows a great place for glasses, please advise. Im very picky about good quality stuff and also insist on trying before buying so no internet bargains. 

When it comes time to out my money down, can I demand further discount? My mother says the prices are inline with US optical shops, bit cheaper. 

Thanks

1) you will adjust to progressive within 2 days. Careful going down stairs in first week, you need to adjust.
2) high quality progressive will give you the overall best option.. for your EYES
3) 30K Baht is 20-50 Baht a day for maximum visibility and comfort. Depends how fast your eyes are going to change again.

I will never go away from my progressives, I need them since 20 years, have the current prescription for 6 years already

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As said a good pair of progressive from Zenni will probably be around the $100 range (3,400 baht).

Progressive is the same as bifocal - just more - so look through the top for distance and lower for closer as you would with bifocal.  Much easier to adapt to than bifocal in my experience.

When I first bought "progressives" 20 years ago, I first put them on and thought I'd never be able to adjust to them, but since they had cost me a bundle, I made myself wear them and as Swiss1960 posted,  within two days I was seeing normally and for the first time in years, able to read small print.

As I understand it, the glasses shop at Rutnin is actually a concession, not run by Rutnin.  Over the years there have been some complaints about them on this forum.

I and several forum menbers have had very good luck ordering glasses online from Zenni Optical (www.zennioptical.com)  Delivery to Thailand takes less than 2 weeks.  Check your prescription from Rutnin...if it does not have "PD" (pupilary distance", you will need to determine that.  There are pretty good directions on the Zenni website.  If your prescription is not a particularly strong one, you can get progressives for less than $100.

This ThaiVisa thread from early this year has more information:

Thanks for all your replies. Last year I was going to buy glasses. I came here and fished about, saw recommendations for Zenni. I went there but was not a big fan of their frames. Also, I've tried fifty pair of glasses on and still not found the one, so I don't see how I'll be happy with online purchase.

I really wish I could deal with that and I'll go back and look again but it's just not going to work for me.

Per the pupil distance, my perscription appears to state as much. Thx for that tip.

I've been wearing 2.25 for years now. Eyes slid into abyss quickly but I've been 2.25 for years. Gets any worse I'll be blind.

With Zenni any import duties or hassles? Can I expect them to arrive without headaches?

Thank you all

IMG_20170606_171410~01.jpg

Edited by Number 6

6 hours ago, Number 6 said:

With Zenni any import duties or hassles? Can I expect them to arrive without headaches?

I've placed Zenni orders 3 times from Bangkok and none has taken more than 2 weeks to be delivered.  Their manufacturing facility is in China and they ship directly from there to here.

Never any duty assessed.  Glasses come securely packaged in a hard case with a cleaning cloth.

If you go to the bottom of their home page, you will see a listing for $6.95 glasses.  There is actually a reasonable selection of frames at that price and I tried 2 single vision pair, one tinted. Prescription was accurate and the frame quality was about what you would get from a decent, store bought pair of sunglasses or reading glasses.

Maybe, if you are skeptical, you should try ordering a pair of these inexpensive glasses and see how it works out.  With shipping and maybe a few optional features, a single vision pair will still cost less than $20.

On 05/06/2017 at 10:48 AM, dddave said:

When I first bought "progressives" 20 years ago, I first put them on and thought I'd never be able to adjust to them, but since they had cost me a bundle, I made myself wear them and as Swiss1960 posted,  within two days I was seeing normally and for the first time in years, able to read small print.

My optician in Europe made me some progressive lenses about 10 years ago. I tried them for a week and hated them. I could never be happy wearing them. Luckily professionals in that country are civilised and he changed them for two pairs with regular lenses and refunded the difference.

Those were the best quality and the most expensive progressive lenses. I doubt that I'll bother trying them again.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

My optician in Europe made me some progressive lenses about 10 years ago. I tried them for a week and hated them. I could never be happy wearing them. Luckily professionals in that country are civilised and he changed them for two pairs with regular lenses and refunded the difference.

Those were the best quality and the most expensive progressive lenses. I doubt that I'll bother trying them again.

No question that the first experience with progressive lenses can be daunting  Everything seems distorted and depth perception, especially when walking and looking down, is disturbing.   

For me, it took two to three days, making myself wear them, then at some point, I suddenly realized I was seeing much better than I had in years and all the distortions were gone.  I've been wearing them for almost 30 years now and would never go back...I hate having to deal with switching between 2 pair of glasses.  I bought a pair of single vision sunglasses from Zenni but rarely use them because I hate having to carry the 2nd pair.  Progressive sunglasses next on my shopping list.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

No question that the first experience with progressive lenses can be daunting  Everything seems distorted and depth perception, especially when walking and looking down, is disturbing.   

For me, it took two to three days, making myself wear them, then at some point, I suddenly realized I was seeing much better than I had in years and all the distortions were gone.  I've been wearing them for almost 30 years now and would never go back...I hate having to deal with switching between 2 pair of glasses.  I bought a pair of single vision sunglasses from Zenni but rarely use them because I hate having to carry the 2nd pair.  Progressive sunglasses next on my shopping list.

save yerself the money and the hassle and get some clip - ons for $15...that's all I've been wearin' fer the past 10 years and they look sooo cool when flipped up in the horizontal position...

I had an old girlfriend that had photosensitive progressives that darkened in the sunshine...they must've cost a million dollars but her folks had lotsa dough...

any previous bi - focal wearers got any comments about progressives?

(hey, bi - focals with clipon shades in the horiz position...can't get any cooler than that...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I found it an easy change from bi-focal to progressive and great to have the added focal range when in supermarket (not having to get everything in reading distance - but being able to read fine print when needed).

Many years ago had photosensitive type glasses and considered them a real danger as they did not react fast enough when driving - you can flip those flip-ups when entering a tunnel.  Also in hot weather they did not work well at all (and have lived most of life in hot weather).