Hunt on for farang showman "flouting the Thai driving law"

webfact

Hunt on for farang showman "flouting the Thai driving law"

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SAMUI: -- Police on Samui are hunting for a foreign motorcyclist heavily criticized on social media for doing a dangerous driving stunt on the main road.

The unidentified 35-40 year old foreigner was captured riding a bike with side attachment lifting the sidecar off the surface of the tarmac seemingly without a care in the world.

A 40 second clip was posted on a Facebook page for Samui folk and a wave of criticism followed.

Daily News reported that the great majority of Thais said it was highly inappropriate driving that could cause an accident and trouble for the locals.

Some commented that he wouldn't do that in his own country.

They said that many suggested that the foreigner was probably a person who had been in Thailand a long time and thought he could just flout the law without getting into trouble.

They called on the local force to act immediately.

Denduang Thongsrisuk of Bo Phut police said that he had instructed traffic police under his control to hunt for the rider and bring him to justice.

Denduang thanked the poster of the clip, Oranong Somboon, for bringing the case to his attention.

The clip was made on a section of the ring road between the Krua Chao Ban Restaurant and Wat Siangu, said Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-05

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to confess that myself and many of other Thai road users around

me flaunt Thai driving

laws everday of the week, albeit not doing any driving stunts as I'm too old for that...

That's amazing " a majority of Thais thought that it was highly inappropriate driving". That statement is more surprising than the driving, or is the problem that he was a phalang and only Thais are allowed to drive inappropriately!

As someone who regularly rides a bike on Samui, I wish both foreigners AND Thais alike put a greater emphasis on safety. I have seen several accidents over the years, and most (if not all) could be traced back to sheer stupidity.

I've often said that if you are in a hurry on Samui, you are doing it wrong...

Cheers

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

What law is he flouting? I see a guy leaning over, well on his bike to look around a taxi that is blocking his view. How can this be against the law? Baffles me.

He should have gone down the blind side  and overtaken on the left like Thais do.

If Thais do it its wrong, if foreigners do it its wrong too.. now they are going after the foreigner.. good for them at least some get brought to justice. Now next time the Thais.. just because Thais do something does not make it right for others to do. They are all wrong and should all be brought to justice. However that they don't do that with the Thais does not excuse the foreigner. 

".... the foreigner was probably a person who had been in Thailand a long time and thought he could just flout the law without getting into trouble."

they mean

the foreigner was probably a person who had been in Thailand a long time and thought he could just flout the law like the Thais do

Are the sidecars even legal?

I often see scooters with sidecars and no plates at all, so I've assumed the sidecars made the plates useless, since the scooter is illegal in that configuration anyway.

Or was I wrong?  (It happens)

Edited by impulse

I see no issue with it. Let the guy ride. Seems so trivial and hard to believe this made news. <deleted>...LOL, I see guys on Moto's stunting and riding on the rear wheels down roads and highways. Doesn't bother me one bit. 

Lets move on and work on the Van drivers that drink 5 bottles of M150's and drive with bald tires with too many people in them.

Foreigners seem to forget, that they are only 'guests' in Thailand, and that they should act within the boundaries of the law. I'd say throw the book at him, as a warning to others. We have enough idiots on the road, let alone foreigners.

2 hours ago, lamecn said:

Isn't this common practice when you learn to drive a motorcycle with a sidecar, before you can get a license for this kind of vehicle?

In the early 1960s back in the UK when learning to ride a motorbike you were limited to 250cc IIRC. There was an exception to the law and you could learn on any size of motorbike "provided that it had a sidecar".

I had a Lambretta LD 150 scooter and my girlfriends Dad had a 650cc Arial with a chair. He let me ride it once and going around right hand corners was easy as the turn kept the chair down. Going round left hand corners and the chair had a tendency to lift off the road especially with nobody in it.

That scared me enough never to ride it again.

Edited by billd766
edited for bad spelling

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that many suggested that the foreigner was probably a person who had been in Thailand a long time and thought he could just flout the law without getting into trouble.

that's a bit rich coming from the country with possibly the worst road safety record in the world and IMO is caused by mostly Thais ignoring the law, perhaps before they pass comment they should take a long hard look at themselves - glass houses

The real thinking behind the comments is more likely "only thai's can get it away with this law breaking - as it is our country"

and I am in no way in support of the idiot in the video