Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

Just now, ftpjtm said:

Because when our neighborhood had an outbreak of Dengue Fever, they somehow managed to get better health care than the Thais, at the better hospitals. 

Maybe they could afford it. Never heard of a falang getting any kind of preferential medical treatment unless they can pay. Maybe Dengue fever was a public health issue and falangs were treated because they tend to travel more.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Maybe they could afford it. Never heard of a falang getting any kind of preferential medical treatment unless they can pay. Maybe Dengue fever was a public health issue and falangs were treated because they tend to travel more.

Or perhaps they borrowed the money. I'm really not sure, but what surprised me most is that the Thai neighbor, who nearly died of it and does well enough in the Thai Navy to afford a house in a predominately farang neighborhood, got really crappy care in comparison to the farangs. He was sent to the worst hospital in the area and only sent to the second worst after his situation deteriorated severely at the worst. 

Edited by ftpjtm

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

In the USA, Admiral Chester Nimitz and his wife committed suicide when they felt that their lives were not worth living.  All of these posters who are outraged that this man committed suicide should think again.  Suicide can be an honorable exit.

Agreed but there was nothing honorable about spreading himself all over the side walk in front of the general public was there? Surely some one who makes the ultimate decision to end there own life could at least give some consideration to those who want to carry on living. Without some grotesque image that they will probably never forget.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Government hospitals will give basic treatment to a destitute farang ,yes not preferential . .

Edited by anto

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

Agreed but there was nothing honorable about spreading himself all over the side walk in front of the general public was there? Surely some one who makes the ultimate decision to end there own life could at least give some consideration to those who want to carry on living. Without some grotesque image that they will probably never forget.

Do you really think that in the state of mind a person must be in to finally get the much needed courage to end it all is thinking rationally enough to consider others?

I do not think this could come into it.

Just now, happyas said:

Do you really think that in the state of mind a person must be in to finally get the much needed courage to end it all is thinking rationally enough to consider others?

I do not think this could come into it.

He was rational enough to calmly order a drink and when finished threw him self over the side. Yes I do think he could have chosen a better place.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

He was rational enough to calmly order a drink and when finished threw him self over the side. Yes I do think he could have chosen a better place.

Oh, come on! We are inundated with sickening images on TV and in movies, someone hitting a sidewalk from a height is hardly that horrific. The Thais are ghouls when it comes to traffic accidents, so hardly think a jumper is even going to give them a bad dream.

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Haven't you got all the venom and vitriol off your chest yet? Anyone would think he landed on your sister, wife, boyfriend etc.

If this guy landed on my Dad, my Sister or my final year Afrikaans teacher .... I would be very upset about the teacher. She made me so horny!

On 6/6/2017 at 9:37 AM, Marley01 said:

Too much of this happening. my thoughts are with the family and friends, the staff at the restaurant and those that found the body. Such a selfish way to go.

When the man is suffering he shoudn't be selfish?

44 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Haven't you got all the venom and vitriol off your chest yet? Anyone would think he landed on your sister, wife, boyfriend etc.

I thought you promised not to take my "baiting". You could not resist? Yes, I am quite serious about all of this. I have a dear friend who took his own life recently, for no good reasons other than depression, and have two good friends who lost brothers, and it left a permanent hole in their lives. As I stated before, if he was terminally ill, or in chronic pain, that is one story, if not, well that is quite another. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I thought you promised not to take my "baiting". You could not resist? Yes, I am quite serious about all of this. I have a dear friend who took his own life recently, for no good reasons other than depression, and have two good friends who lost brothers, and it left a permanent hole in their lives. As I stated before, if he was terminally ill, or in chronic pain, that is one story, if not, well that is quite another. 

You are setting yourself up as some kind of judge, ie, who is qualified to take their life or not. People have personal reasons, not up to you to decide if they are good reasons, or by which means they should take their life. Quite frankly, myself, and others, are sick of you calling this guy a "loser" and a "selfish prick" etc. You've made it pretty clear that you don't approve of suicide, leave it at that and get on with your miserable life.

Edited by giddyup

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

Oh, come on! We are inundated with sickening images on TV and in movies, someone hitting a sidewalk from a height is hardly that horrific. The Thais are ghouls when it comes to traffic accidents, so hardly think a jumper is even going to give them a bad dream.

Seeing it first hand is a lot worse than pictures tv or whatever. Just saying it could have been kids, tourists etc. You've made your point, I've made mine.

I told you it must have been an Indian  owned hotel, the Westin is Indian Owned. Either the hotel must have jacked up prices at the bar and buffet or they lowered the quality to save money, which can drive anyone to suicide,  as they recently had a lavish wedding there for the owner's son.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think the buildings are taller in Bangkok.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:24 PM, oldsailor35 said:

The poor man must have been in a terrible mental turmoil. A horrible way to die.

Yes, for sure on both points.

He also probably needed a drink ,not only as a 'last drink" but also to get a bit of dutch courage to go ahead and make the hardest imaginable choice ever, ie to be brave enough to end his own life and escape his suffering.

I hope he is at peace now.

Suicide is one's final statement to the world, and many are quite deliberate about the way they phrase it...

A few years back I read a very interesting article on suicides. 2 of the points made in the article I remember to this day:

1. With all the controversy over gun ownership in the US, a seldom-mentioned fact is that apparently almost two-thirds of all gun-related deaths in the US are self-inflicted (and because many life insurance policies won't pay out on suicides they suspect the real figure may be even higher). 

2. Apparently most suicides are impulsive and in many ways quite opportunistic. For example, they found that when certain bridges in the US that were well-known suicide spots were fitted with catch nets, instead of persons who had gone to the bridges to commit suicide only to find their intended method thwarted subsequently going and jumping in front of a train, or hanging themselves, most actually went home and never attempted suicide again. Similarly, in the UK in the 50's the preferred method of suicide was putting one's head into a gas oven, turning on the gas and then dying from the carbon monoxide in the coal gas that was being used as standard in most households at that time. When the nation made the change to natural gas, which is non-toxic, suicide rates fell by around 30%.

RIP to the gentleman who took his own life here and my condolences to his family and friends.